Author Topic: Ideal Draft Day Scenario  (Read 4441 times)

Ideal Draft Day Scenario
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Interested in seeing what peoples' Ideal draft day would be

Mine:
·Land a top 3 pick
·Take Jabari Parker
·Trade Jeff green to open up playing time for Parker (Tashaun Prince + 22nd overall pick for uncle Jeff)
·Draft Zach Lavine (poor mans Westbrook)
·Draft Jusuf Nurkic (Demarcus Cousins?)
I would even possibly trade up to take Nurkic....he's going to be a really good starting center

Going forward
Kelly Olynk
Jared Sullinger
Jabari Parker
Zach Lavine
Jusuf Nurkic
Rajon Rondo
Phil Pressey
Kris Humphries (s&t)
Brandon Bass
Tashaun Prince's expiring
The clippers pick
The nets picks
The 76ers pick
Our picks

Those are alot of nice pieces that can land us something good via trade or sign and trade. Not to mention that team has huge upside if we can't get any deals done...

Re: Ideal Draft Day Scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Win #1 overall.  Have Philly pick 4th.

Pick Wiggins.  Watch Embiid fall to 4th because Milwaukee goes with Parker and Orlando loves Exum as much as rumored.  Trade Wiggins to Philly for Embiid, New Orleans pick at #10, and reduce the protection on the 2015 pick to top 4, instead of lottery.  Ship out #10 to Phoenix for #14 and #18.  Draft Stauskas at 14, and Saric and Nurkic at 17 and 18.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

Pick Wiggins.  Watch Embiid fall to 4th because Milwaukee goes with Parker and Orlando loves Exum as much as rumored.  Trade Wiggins to Philly for Embiid, New Orleans pick at #10, and reduce the protection on the 2015 pick to top 4, instead of lottery.  Ship out #10 to Phoenix for #14 and #18.  Draft Stauskas at 14, and Saric and Nurkic at 17 and 18.

I like it

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »

Offline truthteller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

Love reading this thread and those like it because you all have so much knowledge of NBA and NCAA players.  Keep the analysis coming.  I can't wait until lotto selection day.

As for draft day scenario, I'm just gonna kick back on my sofa, grab a cold one,  and watch Danny work his magic.  Our GM has proven, and proven, and proven that he has the vision, the judgement, and the aggressive style to make winning happen.  It's been a great 7 years.  This year was just the trampoline from which the next incarnation will explode from.  He's not only better than all of us at this but he has so much more experience in doing it. 

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Love reading this thread and those like it because you all have so much knowledge of NBA and NCAA players.  Keep the analysis coming.  I can't wait until lotto selection day.

As for draft day scenario, I'm just gonna kick back on my sofa, grab a cold one,  and watch Danny work his magic.  Our GM has proven, and proven, and proven that he has the vision, the judgement, and the aggressive style to make winning happen.  It's been a great 7 years.  This year was just the trampoline from which the next incarnation will explode from.  He's not only better than all of us at this but he has so much more experience in doing it.

& just think, this year he has much more ammunition at his disposal.  So much more than he had when he turned this ship around 7 years ago.  It's going to be fun.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
getting a top 3 pick - picking Embiid would be Ideal Draft Day by itself.

then, with the 17th pick, select one out of James Young/Dougie McBuckets/Stauskas/Saric/TJ Warren. Say we pick Young, who can play SG/SF off the bench.

draft day trade: Bass+Fav for Perk+OKC's 21st pick, where you could pick the best available guard, or a big to stash overseas (Nurkic/Capella...). Shabazz Napier could be our pick.

so you start free agency/trade season with the following roster:

Rondo/(Bradley)/Green/Sully/Embiid
Napier/Young/Wallace/KO/Perk
Pressey/Bogans/Chris Johnson/Babb/Joel Anthony/(Bayless)/(Hump)

BONUS: from July to October

in July, you package Joel Anthony with Pressey and Bogans' unguaranteed contracts and send them to the Lakers for Steve Nash expiring contract. Let Hump, Bayless and Babb go, then wait for Bradley to test the market and match any offer up to 6-7M/yr.:

Rondo(13M)/Nash(9.7M)/Napier(1.2M)   
Bradley(7M)/Young(1.4M)/CJ(0.9M)           
Green(9.2M)/Wallace(10.1M)                 
Sully(1.4M)/KO(2M)                                 
Embiid(4M)/Perk(9.1M)/Iverson(0.5M)     

That's not a championship roster, of course, but at 69.5M Ainge would have the Cs roughly 6M under the tax threshold, while coach Stevens could find minutes for the young kids... probably 7th/8th seed in the East, but an exciting team to develop. Note that you would have Perk+Nash expiring at the end of the season, which could lead to a big trade around February 2015 using future picks/young players.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

So Philly gives us embid, #10, and another first round pick for wiggins.  I thought I was a dreamer.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

So Philly gives us embid, #10, and another first round pick for wiggins.  I thought I was a dreamer.

The title was "Ideal", no?  But honestly, I like Wiggins significantly more than any other player, so would be disappointed if it were just #10 in addition.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:09:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

The title was "Ideal", no?  But honestly, I like Wiggins significantly more than any other player, so would be disappointed if it were just #10 in addition.
Differnce between ideal and unrealistic.  We would be lucky to get #10 at all, much less more than that.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Not sure if ideal but any of Embiid, Wiggins or Exum and then Saric or Young with the 2nd pick. If we could somehow trade Bass, Bogans, Anthony I would be ecstatic. tbh, I'm not getting my hopes up as much as some. If DA pulls something out of the bag, I'll be more than pleasantly surprised. 
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Not a bad plan for grabbing lots of pieces, but I don't think Saric is declaring and I don't think Nurkic falls below #13.

With Stein going back to school, Nurkic is the second best center after Embiid.  I think there is very little chance he slips anywhere near that low.

If you already traded for Embiid, why do you also want Nurkic anyway?

If I have #1 overall, I'd rather have and keep Wiggins.   As an individual, at his position, I believe he has the most marginal upside of any of these guys.

A plan that resulted in both Wiggins and Nurkic would be an 'ideal draft day scenario' for me.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Not a bad plan for grabbing lots of pieces, but I don't think Saric is declaring and I don't think Nurkic falls below #13.

With Stein going back to school, Nurkic is the second best center after Embiid.  I think there is very little chance he slips anywhere near that low.

If you already traded for Embiid, why do you also want Nurkic anyway?

If I have #1 overall, I'd rather have and keep Wiggins.   As an individual, at his position, I believe he has the most marginal upside of any of these guys.

A plan that resulted in both Wiggins and Nurkic would be an 'ideal draft day scenario' for me.

Wiggins is #1 on my board too.  I wouldn't opt for my ideal scenario if Embiid didn't fall to 4, either (which I could conceive happening, as Parker makes decent sense for Milwaukee at 2, and Orlando likes Exum.)

I do think Saric will stay in the draft, and I think he'll go in the 15-25 range, assuming his rumored contract is true, as it will be difficult for him to come over for 2-3 years.  Saric would frankly be foolish to not enter the draft, since he has to enter it sometime.  Get the process over with and increase his leverage with European teams even if he never intends to come over her.

I think Nurkic is good.  It's unclear to me when he'll be drafted -- in deep drafts with a lot of American prospects, foreign players tend to fall, as they're perceived as more difficult to evaluate and more difficult to sign.  I don't know his contract situation nearly as well as I know Saric's -- in having them fall to 17 and 18, I figured neither was likely to come to the states for 2-3 years.  If Nurkic is coming to the US next year, and is ready enough, certainly I agree he will go higher.

And I want Nurkic because Embiid isn't a sure thing, and in 2-3 years when Nurkic comes over (based on my assumption from the prior paragraph), Embiid's success, or lack thereof, will be more clear.  If Embiid is great, then Nurkic is a fine trade chip.  If Embiid doesn't make it, either due to skill or injury, then we get have a plan B already in place.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Differnce between ideal and unrealistic.  We would be lucky to get #10 at all, much less more than that.

I disagree we'd be lucky to get #10 when going down from #1.   If Philly rates Wiggins as the clear #1 (which I think they do) and Danny also has Wiggins as his #1, it's not going to be a boatload of second rounders that gets the trade done. 

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What's your ideal draft order?

#1 - Boston
#2 - New York (it would go to Orlando) ... just cuz it's funny
#3 - Any team 7-14 so it knocks the Lakers down to 8.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What's your ideal draft order?

#1 - Boston
#2 - New York (it would go to Orlando) ... just cuz it's funny
#3 - Any team 7-14 so it knocks the Lakers down to 8.

I believe NY's pick is going to Denver?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.