Author Topic: Does anyone else love Vonleh?  (Read 19589 times)

Re: Does anyone else love Vonleh?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Vonleh and Gordon scare me more than anyone else mentioned in the lottery.  "Great athlete but rough around the edges", and "Great length but rough around the edges" rarely seem to translate into great players.  Both may be solid role players, but with a top 5 or 6 pick I think we would be settling if we take either of those guys.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Vonleh and Gordon scare me more than anyone else mentioned in the lottery.  "Great athlete but rough around the edges", and "Great length but rough around the edges" rarely seem to translate into great players.  Both may be solid role players, but with a top 5 or 6 pick I think we would be settling if we take either of those guys.

Agree, particularly about Gordon. All I've ever read about him is that he's a Griffin clone (and I have read specifically those words.) problem is that he's a stick. Obviously Griffin is a monster physically. Don't think Griffin - with his current skillset, would be very good at 6'9 220 lbs.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Also, while trying not to turn this into the Toaster thinking out loud thread, I can't shake the feeling Vonleh is an Ekpe Udoh type. Not really whom I want to take at 5 or 6. Granted, Udoh himself was.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gordon is not quite Griffins size .  Lighter built and while I think he is going to be a dynamic player and not a bad choice .   I'm for taking Vonleh over Gordon as as guess who ll be the most useful.

Very very few guards are worth a big.  Guards just are more common , always a good crop every year.

Nice big men are much more rare and can be traded for nice guards latter on .

I d take Randle or Vonieh  , or Gordon before Smart.

Exum is the biggest question mark in the draft for me ......I know zip about him and not sure he has seen the consistent level of competition to impress me.

Vonieh may make the most sense , as Celtics need a long built big ,  he could maybe do,the Al Horford small center gig.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66604/noah-vonleh

2 DNP

This kid was all over the place.

If by "all over the place" you mean injured, I agree.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd take Vonleh over Gordon, though he doesn't appear to be the smartest player.

The guy I'm increasingly intrigued about if they pick after 4 is Nurkic. He's going to take a little time, but he's been killing it as a teenage center in Europe. Might have to check out his attitude a bit, but he's already got the key core skills, he's huge and he plays hard.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Agree, particularly about Gordon. All I've ever read about him is that he's a Griffin clone (and I have read specifically those words.) problem is that he's a stick. Obviously Griffin is a monster physically. Don't think Griffin - with his current skillset, would be very good at 6'9 220 lbs.

I have never seen why this comparison would be made.  They are both light skinned?

He is very much Shawn Marion to me.  Three point range, defend SF and PF, top level athlete, smart, can run the floor.

And neither player is just a great athlete.  Both have more to their game.  Vonleh is a very capable rebounder (Gordon is good there too).  Vonleh has offensive game all over the paint and to midrange (back to the basket and jumper) and Gordon can shoot threes and pass and put the ball on the floor.  And Gordon may be the best defensive player in the draft.  He's right there if not.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:31:47 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'd take Vonleh over Gordon, though he doesn't appear to be the smartest player.

The guy I'm increasingly intrigued about if they pick after 4 is Nurkic. He's going to take a little time, but he's been killing it as a teenage center in Europe. Might have to check out his attitude a bit, but he's already got the key core skills, he's huge and he plays hard.

Vonleh and Nurkic would be nice.  It would provide two young bigs with qualities quite different from JS and KO.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 02:51:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Gordon was mvp of U19 and helped team usa win a championship.
Gordon helped Arizona to one of the top records in regular season  college play, best team in many defensive stat categories and to the elite 8, 1 point away to the final four. How many freshmans in the last several years can you say has accomplished as much as Gordon has already?

He also won Mr basketball USA award.   He has stated in interviews he could care less about stats and will do whatever it takes to help his team win.

I want a guy like that on my team. 

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 05:57:41 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Gordon was mvp of U19 and helped team usa win a championship.
Gordon helped Arizona to one of the top records in regular season  college play, best team in many defensive stat categories and to the elite 8, 1 point away to the final four. How many freshmans in the last several years can you say has accomplished as much as Gordon has already?

He also won Mr basketball USA award.   He has stated in interviews he could care less about stats and will do whatever it takes to help his team win.

I want a guy like that on my team.

Amen.  I see a lot of posters saying picking him 5/6th is too high.  If he falls to us, we'd be foolish not to take him.  He's young, hungry, team player, that would fit well into the offense Brad stevens wants to run at a position we desparately need a go to go at.  I'm not saying he'll be a go to go right away, but man he'll provide a lot of explosivness and opportunities to score for himself and others right away.  Pair that with Olynyk, Favarani, Humphries, Bradley, etc and we've got a high octane offense out there.

And I know people will say, well we wont have any  defense ::) .  If there's ever a more easier skill to pick up in basketball, it's defense.  It's all about making that player willing to step up and be better at position.  That's alot easier than teaching them to shoot, or get in position to score.

He'd be an excellent piece moving forward with youth.  Hell if we keep jeff Green maybe that'll light a fire under him but i doubt it.

And you guys talk about Gordans build and rough edges?  Come on...he's 18, he's just learning the game and already he's got accolades for what he does.  And ever hear of a weight room?  I have more muscle on my body now than i did when I was 18.  Come on let's be real!  Anyone we draft is gonna take some time.  Hell look at Avery Bradley, hell look at any rookie ever drafted, they took some time.  If you want a ready made player right out of college you're never gonna find it.

PS...Vonleh has BUST written all over him...JJJ part 2.  No thanks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:06:37 AM by cltc5 »

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Vonleh reminds me of JaJuan Johnson for some reason. He didnt blow me away with his game this season, because 11.3 and 9 isnt that impressive if you ask me.
I dont get the Gordon and Griffin comparison either. Gordon is really skinny wheareas Griffin was built like a tank coming out of college. I'd say we trade the pick if we cant get anyone who can contribute ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
That 5-8 group is really hard to pin down. Almost all year i locked Randle into the number 5 slot. Vonleh absolutely belongs in that conversation. However, Vonleh's lack of motor, athleticism, feel for the game is concerning. Yet, he is a very good rebounder and has range. I also firmly believe he could have scored more if his teammates could actually make an entry pass to him down low.

The combine and individual workouts are going to be huge for Vonleh. He still has a lot of untapped potential. And i look forward to learning his true height and length.

Having said all that, I am now leaning towards Gordon at number 5. It is so rare to see a super athletic player like him who understands the game and is so selfless at age 18.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I like him a lot. A combo forward. Plays so well on both ends of the floor. If we're picking beyond the 2nd pick, I would love him to be our pick.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If by "all over the place" you mean injured, I agree.

No his PPG and production, he wasn't injured all those games.   Yes, he was injured and missed two games.   But the other games he ranged from a nice game with 17-19 points to zero.  The only thing consistent about his game was he was inconsistent.  He scores 18 vs. a tough Wisconsin team and then 8 vs. Oakland.  These games were not near the injuries either.  Now most games when he was sucking at scoring he still boarded folks.  He had 11 games where he scored less than ten points and 19 when he did score 10+.  He rebounded well on the beginning of the season but struggles at the end.   Oh, what these coaches can do with tape and planning.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66604/noah-vonleh

If you like a guy, you will look past his faults, it is human nature.  I'd probably take him over Randle just because he has length and can protect the rim.  He shows touch as well.  He is a much better shooter at threes than Sully as he shoots .45%.    I think he is a project but he could play stretch four ( for real not pretending like Sully) and C some day and if nothing else be a spot up shooter.