Author Topic: Does anyone else love Vonleh?  (Read 19646 times)

Does anyone else love Vonleh?
« on: April 19, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I have him 5th on my board and am hoping the Celtics draft him if they don't end up in the Top 3.  I just think that of the guys outside the top 4, he's the only one without a glaring weakness that will be tough to overcome.  Randle, Gordon, and Smart all lack ideal height/length for the position they're best suited to play, Randle looks like he'll be a disaster defensively, and Gordon and Smart both can't shoot.  Vonleh's passing and footwork could use some work, but he's also only 18 and  think those issues are both correctable and not hugely detrimental if they don't improve.  I think if he hadn't played will a ball dominating pg in college and had more plays run for him, he'd be more highly regarded. With Vonleh, I think your worst case scenario is a monster rebounder (best in the class) and capable defender who shoots well enough that you have to respect him offensively.  That's already a pretty valuable player, and with his length and touch he has the potential to get a lot better in the post and on defense.

Re: Does anyone else love Vonleh?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I agree. I think Vonleh is underrated but I think part of it has to do with him being better suited to play pf (which we have Sully and KO) and the other part of it is that the draft is so far away. At the end of last season it was almost guranteed Noel and Mclemore were gonna be the top picks and we saw how that changed. Combine, team workouts, interviews are all going to shake up the current predictions and I think Vonleh will benefit from that.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
agreed. The draft workouts and medical records will change the draft a bit. I expect Exum to fall somewhat for not conducting workouts, and possibly Embiid based on his medical records, while Vonleh and Randle and maybe Smart and Gordon may move up a bit.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I am beginning to like Vonleh more and more which is why I'm worried he will rise too high for our pick if we fall to 6th or 7th. The fact that he's a local boy is a bonus.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Big fan of this kid. Have him over Randle.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I wouldn't mind if the Celtics drafted both local boys - Vonleh and Napier - with their first round picks.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Would love Vonleh at 5.

Not 19 until late August, real long, and possibly still growing. Has filled out and will fill out more. I can easily see him being our 5 of the future, if we keep the pick.

Already a decent shooter and reputedly has a great work ethic and is extremely receptive to being coached.

Sounds like a Celtic to me.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Vonleh can do at worse one thing really well. Rebound the crap out of the ball. DX has him ranked 1st in 40 mins and better than Embiid even.    He is not considered to be explosive but he really gets off the ground quickly for rebounds, blocking shots.

There are concerns about his offensive game. He tried to do too much last season. I mean who is going to have success going 1 on 3 underneath the basket??   He shot the ball from the 3 pt line so well (small sample).  If he can develop a mid range jump shot/fade away jump shot (David West), that is going to do alot for his game. Don't think he will be effective in the post or muscling in shots undeath the basket against trees in the nba. Kind of the issue Bass has.

However at the end of the day, he woudl be a nice pickup for the Celts. I see him playing PF/C in the nba. He is a very good post defender, hard to move and will put in alot of effort to prevent you from getting the ball down low.  I like his hustle.   Vonleh would be a perfect C for a team that likes to play small ball. The Miami Heat would have tears of joy if they were able to draft Vonleh and pair him with Bosh upfront

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Not sold right this second. He could be decent, but he's at the bottom of my list of the Top-8, ahead of only Gordon.

He's no Kelly Olynyk BBIQ wise and that's fine but he seems like he misses a lot on the court. Doesn't see things. Bigs with low BBIQ worry me- any player does, honestly.

edit* and measurements will play a big role in how I feel about drafting him if we're at 5 or 6. If he comes closer to 6'11 that would be a huge bonus. I'm probably moved towards Smart or even Randle if he's 6'9.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:57:19 PM by lon3lytoaster »

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yes! Obviously I want Parker first, but Vonleh makes me not worry about getting screwed in the lottery because hopefully we have a shot at him wherever we land. (Top ten)   ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!
Yes! Obviously I want Parker first, but Vonleh makes me not worry about getting screwed in the lottery because hopefully we have a shot at him wherever we land. (Top ten)   ;D

I don't think that's an issue.. 99.9 percent chance no matter where we land, we can get Vonleh.

I think this is the first time I can honestly say there's stuff I like about all of the prospect we have a chance of drafting, 1-8. Obviously I'll be upset to land outside of three, but I could warm up to just about anyone right now.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
I think Vonleh could end up being the best of the bunch. If we hired a big man coach to work him  hard, or better yet, had KG back to train him, any weakness he has now will have been addressed. I have my fingers crossed that it's him. I see no problem with him and Sullinger in at the same time. I love KO also and have him play some at the 3 when we go really big.

Vonleh is the perfect pick in my mind. Early in the year I felt there was a huge drop off after Embiid and Parker. I know think it's after those two and Vonleh. If they stay healthy I think they are the surest things

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Not sold right this second. He could be decent, but he's at the bottom of my list of the Top-8, ahead of only Gordon.

He's no Kelly Olynyk BBIQ wise and that's fine but he seems like he misses a lot on the court. Doesn't see things. Bigs with low BBIQ worry me- any player does, honestly.

edit* and measurements will play a big role in how I feel about drafting him if we're at 5 or 6. If he comes closer to 6'11 that would be a huge bonus. I'm probably moved towards Smart or even Randle if he's 6'9.

I'm a UConn fan and watch the majority of their games. I only bring this up so that you know I have some gravitas when I make this statement. Andre Drummond had a low BB IQ too, but is now one of the highest valued big men in the league. I understand why you bring it up, but Vonleh has all the tools and one of the youngest draft eligible players and has time to learn just like Andre.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I do.  I personally really like Gordon and Vonleh in addition to the top 4 players and won't be surprised if they are as good or better.  They both have big time potential too.

Vonleh as a rebounder and scorer all around the paint and to midrange.  Gordon as a defender and athlete.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

I'm a UConn fan and watch the majority of their games. I only bring this up so that you know I have some gravitas when I make this statement. Andre Drummond had a low BB IQ too, but is now one of the highest valued big men in the league. I understand why you bring it up, but Vonleh has all the tools and one of the youngest draft eligible players and has time to learn just like Andre.

Drummond's physical stats were off the charts almost everywhere, though. Like insane. 6'10, 275 and ridiculous hops and strength for that size. It's very rare to get that in an NBA center. Physically, he is/was a Dwight clone for the most part. I'd have happily traded Pierce to have a pick that could of taken him. Love Paul, but even at the time I was all in on that idea.

I'm not advocating for not drafting Vonleh if we're at 6, or even 5 (No brainier at 7) but he doesn't have those drool worthy physical stats Drummond had. You can't find what Drummond has everyday.