Author Topic: Adam Silver pushing for age limit to 20, owners agree  (Read 1490 times)

Adam Silver pushing for age limit to 20, owners agree
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10803355/adam-silver-says-pushing-back-nba-age-limit-top-priority

Will this give incentive for players to go overseas their sophomore year or both years to earn some dough in the mean time? I personally think so.

Re: Adam Silver pushing for age limit to 20, owners agree
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
NFL players don't play in the Arena League or CFL, I doubt top tier NBA prospects will look at Jeremy Tyler or Brandon Jennings success and look to emulate it. Some will, but more than most won't.

More likely is the the players union throws a fit and they do nothing with the age limit.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Why is there even an age limit? If a team wants to draft a kid when they're 15 more power to them.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think 18 is reasonable .  Legal adult age .

If you can make a choice to be a father,  jailed as an adult , ride a Abrams tank , be a race car driver,  Be a policeman , then why not try and make an NBA basketball team.....surely their are worse things you can do .

Any limit over 18 is a selfish and unfair restriction to assist in an agenda that doesn't really have the best interest of the individual as the prime objective.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think 18 is reasonable .  Legal adult age .

If you can make a choice to be a father,  jailed as an adult , ride a Abrams tank , be a race car driver,  Be a policeman , then why not try and make an NBA basketball team.....surely their are worse things you can do .

Any limit over 18 is a selfish and unfair restriction to assist in an agenda that doesn't really have the best interest of the individual as the prime objective.

Agree and well stated.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont know if I like the age limit as much as I would prefer two years of college required. Granted the age would be right around the same.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Instead of raising the age limit, I would establish an age minimum for unrestricted free agency, so that coming out early won't necessarily get you a big contract any sooner.  I would also make it so that only juniors/seniors are eligible to get as much as 120% of the rookie scale (with some sort of adjustment so that a 120% rookie scale contract has only 100-100% of it count towards the salary cap, to eliminated incentives for drafting a cheaper younger player).

Let it be their choice to come out earlier, but reduce the financial incentives for doing so.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference