Author Topic: Bleacher Report's - What the 2014-15 Celtics Could Look Like  (Read 8742 times)

Re: Bleacher Report's - What the 2014-15 Celtics Could Look Like
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
PG - Rondo
SG - Gordon Heyward (Signed in FA)
SF - Aaron Gordon (Round 1 pick)
PF - Sullinger
C - Greg Monroe (traded for Jeff Green)

This roster makes me sad.  It screams "lets fight with Charlotte for the 7th seed for the next several years!" written all over it.  We would have to hope that Brooklyn faceplants in the next few years and we score a franchise player with one of their picks.

Yes we are screwed big time ....those last two wins .....will go down in Celtics lore for next two decades ....as the Epic screwup of this decade in Boston Sports.......or at least as far as Celtics

DA keep too much talent on the team.....and then topped off the poor mgmt with allowing Stevens to win two of the last four games. ::)

So...yes........the Celtics have been stuffed back in the bottle for another twenty seasons of 35-42 win seasons , with no stars and not a snowballs chance in hades of actually contending against the powers in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I am a new member to the board and this is my first post. With this being a huge off season I found it a great time to join and get some good C's talk which is hard to come by in NY.

Bleacher report had an interesting story that I did see anyone bring up, reporting what the 2014-15 Celtics could look like.  I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were, I think it is difficult to come up with scenario's until the draft order is finalized.

PG - Rondo
SG - Gordon Heyward (Signed in FA)
SF - Aaron Gordon (Round 1 pick)
PF - Sullinger
C - Greg Monroe (traded for Jeff Green)

I am not too sure how I feel with this outcome from an awful year. I think Aaron Gordon is very raw and if it is the plan to build around Rondo, which I am in favor of, if he is the right pick. I think they still lack an elite level scorer.

Decent lineup, but nothing to get thrilled about. Hardly any long-range shooting, and I'm hoping for better than Gordon with the first rounder.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 02:11:52 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Bleacher Report articles are often written by fellow fans with basically no idea.
This is one of those articles.

Hayward and Monroe would be two guys we'd have to invest roughly 25 million into the next 4 years and just stink of mediocrity. Hayward is basically a white Jeff Green.

Monroe is ok but defensively just doesn't cut it with elite big men in the NBA.

Danny doesn't settle for mediocrity. He gambles on potential or he waits for a sure thing- there's no middle ground.
It's either
1) Kevin Love or another player in the top 10 in win shares in the NBA- and another potential player that's already solid (I've suggested Lance STephenson and Aaron Afflalo as shooting guard recruits). Joakim Noah is a candidate too.

2) Or it's have another terrible season. Get another top 5 pick and then re-sign Rondo while we wait for the 2015 free agency class with
Love
Gasol
Aldridge
Klay Thompson
Paul Millsap
Among others and our own lottery pick from 2014 and 2015.

3) Last option is we draft our 2014 picks. We trade Rondo for another pick in 2014 or 2015 and start a ground up rebuild around Sullinger, Olynyk and our 3 lottery picks in 2014/15.

Remember, no mediocrity.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 03:55:16 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I like the proposed lineup ;D

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:29 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We would have to hope that Brooklyn faceplants in the next few years and we score a franchise player with one of their picks.
This was the plan from Day 1.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
In the IDEAL world (yes, NBA 2K14 ;D), if I am DA, I would do something like this:

1. On the draft night complete a trade with Sac for Cousins. Green, Olynyk and at least two first rounders. Of course, there would have to be a "push" from Boogies' side. ;D

2. Get rid of Wallace and Bass, if only for second rounder(s).

3. Resign Rondo and (maybe) give him a no-trade clause.

4. Resign Bradley to no more than 6 milion.

5. Sign Hayward.

6. Sign Deng in the FA and bring back Pierce for a vet minimum.

7. Sign a couple more veterans to complete the roster (Varejao, Kaman, Delambert), maybe even bring Humph back for peanuts.

And as quickly as that, this roster would be back in contention. ;D

Rondo, Hayward, Deng, Sully, Cousins.

Pressey, Bradley, Pierce, Humph, Kaman, Varejao, etc...pick your favourite...

This is a mediocre team. Why do people still continue to think resigning Rondo and trading these picks are the way to go... I like Cousins but you can't give up a franchise cornerstone with multiple years of team control for a headcase.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
It certainly is a better team than trading Rondo for some picks and then expect everything to fit right in its place like it did for Indiana and OKC.

With Rondo back in his shape, Hayward is a good spot-up shooter and he already worked very well with Brad, Deng is an all star player, good shooter and a lockdown defender and Cousins is already one of the best centers in the league. Hot heads can be cooled off but you can't teach his skill.

Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
We would have to hope that Brooklyn faceplants in the next few years and we score a franchise player with one of their picks.
This was the plan from Day 1.

It's probably Plan B, though.  I'd bet Plan A is to use the team's assets to acquire proven, high level talent.  Unless a team is willing to trade someone like Cousins, Kyrie or Wall, Ainge can outbid anybody for any deal.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 09:54:07 AM »

Offline Celtic Green in NY

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
Hey Cs fan in NY, where in NY are you from?

Regarding Bleachers report, all I hear is fart noises whenever I read their stuff.

Regarding how I think the Cs will look, I think like Danny says, and like it was in 2007, it hinges absolutely on where we draft. If it's top 3, my best guess is we draft, and move vets for cap relief or future assets.

If it's outside the top 4, I think we trade it and move future assets to make a push next year.

It it's 4th overall, I think the pick is Exum, and I have no idea if we move it or trade it, because Exum is a mystery.

I am on Long Island, Commack. Do you know the area?

Agree on drafting top 4 and then moving out after that, but with the exception of Love, who can you see the Celtics bringing in that would be a major difference maker. I have seen Josh Smith mentioned but I am not a fan of his at all, Harrison Barnes possibley but even if you add Asik with a Barnes, does that really make them a contender? I am holding out hope that the ping pong balls bounce there way and they land in the top 4. I love the possibility of a Rondo / Exum back court with especially watching Phoenix this year with the two PG back court, surround them with some guys that can get up and down the court it would be fun at the very least. Even picking Exum and moving Rondo, one draft site had the comparison of Exum to a young Penny Hardaway before the injuries.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'd be pretty disappointed if the Celtics end up with Gordon.  Especially if they have a top 6 pick.   

agreed

Me too...

We didn't lose enough games.  .......so .....now we have too start all over again......

To get stars we need ..... Top four lotto picks. And or young prospects like Sully and other lotto picks

I'd be happy if we picked #5 and ended up with the next Dwayne Wade (picked fifth in 2003)....
Celtics fan for life.