Author Topic: How to Fix the Knicks (Long)  (Read 3160 times)

Re: How to Fix the Knicks (Long)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »

Offline nzea

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
Trading for Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings would be a typical Knicks "Band-Aid" move. At best that would lead to a few seasons of 33-40 wins. I would hope (for their sake, I could care less) that Phil Jackson would prevent moves like this.

This team needs to take 2-3 years and re-build from the ground up. Something tells me that's not going to happen..because it is NY.

It makes next season bearable for Anthony while they wait for a draft pick and Bargs and Chandler to expire.

Also with the sanders thing they get rid of JR and Felton. That's what they need to do to keep Melo happy until 2015 when, with the roster above they could contend for a championship.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline nzea

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
This entire post ignores the fact that Phil Jackson is going to implement the triangle.

Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings are not players who fit the triangle in any way shape or form. Smith has the skillset but not the attitude, Jennings has neither.

I think getting all of these guys together and convincing them the best way to a championship would be to play together. Phil Jackson and a top coach could do that.

Smith fits great, and with great scorers around him, I think Jennings would too.

Think about it, he's played for the Bucks and Pistons. Not exactly offensive juggernauts.
The triangle requires a lot of discipline, unselfish ball movement, and moving off the ball. Good luck getting Smith to do all of that.

PGs in the triangle don't handle the ball a ton. Brandon Jennings hates not having the ball and loves to just chuck up ugly shots quickly. His shot selection and shooting ability are both sub-par for what a triangle PG wants ideally.

Phil Jackson is a good coach, but he's now just the GM. Even as a coach he couldn't magically make poor fits work in the triangle.

Exactly, he's just the GM. People heard Phil Jackson and now they assume the Knicks are going to be a triangle team.

I think some elements of his philosophies will go into his decision making but ultimately it will be built around Anthony. I think Jennings can turn into a distributor if he has the right players to give it to.

Feed Sanders and Smith finishes, feed Anthony in iso and catch and shoots, and then All the space can give Shump easy shots. Not to mention Hardaway, Jackson, Thad and Bass can provide even more offense.

The point is with these players you have size, skill and space. A team built around Melo's scoring ability.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If the Knicks use the stretch provision on Amare, would that drop them below the apron enough to have the full MLE at their disposal?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:19:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Phil Jackson said he's going to implement the triangle in a press conference. Reporters who speak with the Knicks front office say he's going to put in the triangle. Every coach mentioned has experience running the triangle. He's even written multiple books that all talk about how the triangle isn't just an offensive system for him, but a philosophy of team play.

Knicks are putting the triangle. You don't pay Phil 10 million bucks and have him suddenly humble himself and not put in his system, his philosophy.

Jennings/Smith are chuckers, just who they are at this point.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If the Knicks use the stretch provision on Amare, would that drop them below the apron enough to have the full MLE at their disposal?
No.

They're going to be around 92 million if Melo stays. A stretch only cuts 16 million or so off that. While destroying their future. (its remaining years x 2 +1 right?) And I don't think that 92 includes any contracts they're going to be able to dump.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
No.

They're going to be around 92 million if Melo stays. A stretch only cuts 16 million or so off that. While destroying their future. (its remaining years x 2 +1 right?)

Yep, 2x + 1 for the stretch math. So, nearly $8 mil of cap hit for three years.

I guess Melo would have to settle for well below that $23 mil he's owed on his option as well.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
No.

They're going to be around 92 million if Melo stays. A stretch only cuts 16 million or so off that. While destroying their future. (its remaining years x 2 +1 right?)

Yep, 2x + 1 for the stretch math. So, nearly $8 mil of cap hit for three years.

I guess Melo would have to settle for well below that $23 mil he's owed on his option as well.
Yeah, I don't see anyway to change up their roster without some seriously off the wall trades until after next season.

Amar'e, Bargs, and Chandler all make too much money and are expiring. If they had more draft picks I'd say they could do some trades, but they've traded so many future picks...

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Phil Jackson said he's going to implement the triangle in a press conference. Reporters who speak with the Knicks front office say he's going to put in the triangle. Every coach mentioned has experience running the triangle. He's even written multiple books that all talk about how the triangle isn't just an offensive system for him, but a philosophy of team play.

Knicks are putting the triangle. You don't pay Phil 10 million bucks and have him suddenly humble himself and not put in his system, his philosophy.

Jennings/Smith are chuckers, just who they are at this point.

+1 -- the Knicks are absolutely going to run the triangle. Which is a bit of a scary thought, honestly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
in the OP, the first trade makes sense for the Knicks IF they had a different coach than Phil (whoever he installs as coach will be like Phil).  Chandler, Smith, Melo, Hardaway, Jennings could be an offensive juggernaut with K-Mart, Shump, Prigioni and Felton off the bench.  Add a decent backup center and they could be pretty good. 

thing is, they'd need a coach that can adapt to the strengths of the personnel he has and I don't see that happening. 

The bucks deal never happens but Detroit might bite to unload Smith and Jennings.  Knicks probably have to send Prigioni with Amare