Author Topic: Can Jabari Parker play defense?  (Read 12337 times)

Re: Can Jabari Parker play defense?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm a Duke fan, I'm not as impressed as everyone seems to be. He may come in and murder guys when he has the space to operate but that defense looks sad.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
  I think Parker can probably get to an acceptable level defensively a lot easier than someone like Gordon can flip the switch offensively.

This is a near certainty.

Why does Gordon need to flip the switch offensively?? He is not a go to guy. He knows it also

Even without a shot though, once he puts on more muscle + utilizing his athleticism, he is going to have a easier time making all kinds of tough baskets.   He has excellent passing skills, good enough handles and knows how to help his team offensively.  His last several shots/passes vs Wisconsin shows also  he can come through in crucial situations.

Gordon's bread and butter is his defense. He is twice the defender Parker is. You don't see everyday a guy able to defend 4 positions.

Lastly let me ask you, which player is likely going to able to stay on the floor longer in the nba starting next season ??  Its Gordon . Coaches don't yank players that don't turn over the ball and play oustanding defense. Parker might get fouled out before the half is done

And Jabari is 5 times the offensive player that Gordon is. Jabari's put on 20 pounds since his injury in the 2013 off season. He'll surely drop that puppy fat and more with NBA conditioning in the summer and the diet control he'll get.
I'd also argue that Gordon isn't going to be able to bully NBA players as he has done in the NCAA which will take him at least one season to get used to as he adjusts and add's more strength.
What do we care if Gordon can stay on the floor next season? Where are we going next season? Are we pulling off a K Love trade? Most likely not, so we need to find a bonafide STAR player.
Jabari Parker has the makings of a star. Aaron Gordon has the makings of an elite role player.
Jabari's footwork, timing and rhythm for someone his size are just incredible.
Why isn't he a great defender? Because he's never had to play defense to beat his opponents- he'd just outscore them.
The kid is a killer and has stated multiple times that he takes losing personally. You don't think he'll take the negativity about his defense personally and work on it?

Who would you take with the 5th pick? Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon?
They shouldn't even be in the same conversation.
You're saying he doesn't have a quick first step, but he's still quick enough to burn the best defenders the NCAA. Pierce doesn't have the quickest first step either. He turned out okay.
I remember when people said the same thing about Pierce's defense at Kansas. They said the same about Kevin Durant. They said the same thing about Carmelo.
What's the difference between those three now?
Durant and Pierce have superior work ethic- as does Jabari Parker.
Carmelo doesn't care about defense as much so he's not willing to put in the work.
Jabari Parker will 110% put in the work because that's the next step for him.

Why do you think Ainge is enamoured with him? He's Paul Pierce 2.0 and his ceiling is even higher because of his already incredible 3 point shot that took Pierce years to develop.

Parker is not 5 times the offensive player, come on. While gordon cant do some things parker can do, like the step back jumpers, parker also cant make difficult shots around the basket like gordon can. When parker has a bad shooting night he will keep shooting , like anthony.  And he doesnt run this late of the game bc he has run out of gas.

Gordon on the other hand being the athelete he is, turns on the turbo.

Stamina is a other underrated difference between the two.  In addition gordon doesnt lose focus when the stress gets worse. Gordon is going to be a steal imo bc he will develop a consistent jump shot . At  worse worse at least improve his ft shooting percentage. You say parker will be dedicated to working on his defense, body. Well good luck. Look at melo(even pierce), he still has an avg body since he has come into the league. Its not going to be easy. It could also be a genetic matter

I have to agree with chambers on this one. The offensive gulf between the two is greater than the defensive gulf. And it is much easier to make a poor defender adequate than it is to make a poor offensive player adequate. I think Gordon will be a solid role player, but I don believe he has any chance at all to be a star.

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'm in the you can make a bad defender a passable one camp.

Team defense can cover for Parker and I believe in Stevens and our coaching staff to get the most out of JP if he landed here. Praying he doesn't have his talents wasted in Milwaukee. Bit of a conceited view, but probably not too crazy either.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'm in the you can make a bad defender a passable one camp.

Team defense can cover for Parker and I believe in Stevens and our coaching staff to get the most out of JP if he landed here. Praying he doesn't have his talents wasted in Milwaukee. Bit of a conceited view, but probably not too crazy either.

Sure he is as worried as you about being a Buck for next part of his life ...... :D

I think they will take Embiid on Bucks ...he will be less likely to bolt to Lakers than Wiggins or Parker .

I think Philly ends up with Parker or Wiggins ........ Can they keep them if they get one is the question?  Same for Utah .....will Wiggins stay there.....  Answer is. "NO" .....never.

Lakers chopping at the bit to steal all the new Rookie stars , soon as Kobe departs.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 04:31:26 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I mean, I don't think he'll ever be an elite individual defender but he can at least be average . Overall team defense can mask a lot of individual deficiencies.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It might be possible to make a bad defender into a passable one, but there are some guys who just won't care enough to make the effort even when they have the tools to be a solid defender, even if they are put into the hands of a great coaching staff.

I don't know if Jabari Parker will slip into that category, but we're probably not going to be able to tell based on available data.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference