Author Topic: Can Jabari Parker play defense?  (Read 12347 times)

Re: Can Jabari Parker play defense?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As far as things defensively with this kid, I really don't care.  Obviously, it'd be nice to see him get up to average on defense but it isn't a deal breaker with this kid.

He's proven to me that he can create his own shot and provide an offensive spark.  He's a scorer and he can do it in several manners.

That is something that is seriously lacking with this Celtics team.  They need that badly right now.   Parker provides that.  Work on his defense & conditioning after you draft him.  Don't make it the deal-breaker to not drafting him.

Defense matters.  You want the celts to be a run and gun team and get nowhere?

Parker right now plays vs Lebron, even lesser talented guy like Batum, he is going to get torched. Some of the best players in the league are SFs and you need to at least make it hard for them to dismantle your team.

Your plan of drafting him and then working on his defense and conditioning might work to perfection just like how it worked for the Wolves and drafting Derrick Williams.

You don't see everyday guys like Jared Dudley, Boris Diaw, Derrick Williams transforming their bodies into great shape.   

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
As far as things defensively with this kid, I really don't care.  Obviously, it'd be nice to see him get up to average on defense but it isn't a deal breaker with this kid.

He's proven to me that he can create his own shot and provide an offensive spark.  He's a scorer and he can do it in several manners.

That is something that is seriously lacking with this Celtics team.  They need that badly right now.   Parker provides that.  Work on his defense & conditioning after you draft him.  Don't make it the deal-breaker to not drafting him.

Defense matters.  You want the celts to be a run and gun team and get nowhere?

Parker right now plays vs Lebron, even lesser talented guy like Batum, he is going to get torched. Some of the best players in the league are SFs and you need to at least make it hard for them to dismantle your team.

Your plan of drafting him and then working on his defense and conditioning might work to perfection just like how it worked for the Wolves and drafting Derrick Williams.

You don't see everyday guys that have bodies like Jared Dudley, Boris Diaw transforming their bodies into great shape.

Did you bother to read the second line of that first paragraph?

This Celtics team needs scoring and playmakers on the offensive end.   Right now, they don't have someone who can create their own shot on the level of a Pierce.  I believe Parker's game is very simliar to Pierce's.  He would be a great asset to this team.   Guys like him don't come along every draft. 

There are 4 other positions on the basketball court.  Having one or two guys out there which are below average to average defensively, doesn't destroy the team.  A good GM recognizes that and fills in the pieces accordingly.  If they go this direction, I would like to see them grab a defensive minded big, though.   Also, I think they'd be more half court than run & gun if they had Parker in the fold.  I think the game would slow down.

This kid's not Derrick Williams.   I've seen you throw out that label before.  Williams was nowhere near as refined offensively in college.   A lot of his hype was based on potential while most scouts seem to think that Parker is already NBA ready.

Anyday of the week, I would take Parker over your binky Gordon.  You think Gordon's offensive game will ever develop into a palatable skill set?   I think Parker can probably get to an acceptable level defensively a lot easier than someone like Gordon can flip the switch offensively.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
  I think Parker can probably get to an acceptable level defensively a lot easier than someone like Gordon can flip the switch offensively.

This is a near certainty.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  I think Parker can probably get to an acceptable level defensively a lot easier than someone like Gordon can flip the switch offensively.

Why does Gordon need to flip the switch offensively?? He is not a go to guy. He knows it also

Even without a shot though, once he puts on more muscle + utilizing his athleticism, he is going to have a easier time making all kinds of tough baskets.   He has excellent passing skills, good enough handles and knows how to help his team offensively.  His last several shots/passes vs Wisconsin shows also  he can come through in crucial situations.

Gordon's bread and butter is his defense. He is twice the defender Parker is. You don't see everyday a guy able to defend 4 positions.

Lastly let me ask you, which player is likely going to able to stay on the floor longer in the nba starting next season ??  Its Gordon . Coaches don't yank players that don't turn over the ball and play oustanding defense. Parker might get fouled out before the half is done

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:33:09 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:27 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
It's unbelievable how bad his conditioning was last season.  He actually appeared to gain weight during the season.  Who does not during a basketball season at age 19?   I'm guessing his metabolism is slow and/or his eating habits are junk.  Because of how poorly in shape he was, it's hard to get a read on both his offense and defense.  He sometimes got so winded that he dropped his head and closed his eyes for a few seconds and then lost track of his man on defense (embarrassing stuff).  Or he got so winded that he could barely box out.  This all happened in a college game that is filled with timeouts and in which he rarely played stint longer than six minutes (which were still broken up by a timeout).  He has so far to go to reach NBA-level conditioning.

Conditioning issues seemed to be the biggest problem with his team defense.  Generally he seemed pretty engaged, keeping his hand up, rotating over when he could to defend the rim, etc but it's hard to separate out.  It's also hard to say whether his lateral quickness after getting in shape will be of the surprising variety as with guys like Pierce and yes Melo.  There's a real possibility that he'll be one of those players with a defensive RPM of -3 or worse.  The best case scenario for his defensive RPM might be a neutral 0.
He was coming off an injury in the summer that prevented him from properly training and getting in great shape.

As to the question of who gains weight as a 19 year old? Pretty much every college student ever.

I would be shocked if he didn't get in great shape this summer due to a focused work out a diet.

His injury was a fractured foot suffered BEFORE his senior year of high school.  That injury should've had nothing to do with the kind of shape he was in at Duke.  The thing is, he's never been in shape. He was out of shape throughout high school before his injury, became well out of shape after his injury, improved to his previous out of shape level and then seemingly got no positive gains from Duke's strength and conditioning staff. 

Oh my goodness, you're comparing 19 year old college students who don't play college basketball to Jabari? Come on, really?  You really didn't understand my point?  As much as basketball players run and practice, they usually lose weight during the season.  Rarely do they gain weight or seem to like Jabari.

That is not promising.  I think an important question here is "Why is he in such poor physical condition?"  Does he live on a junk-food diet, or are there emotional/psych issues that need to be managed before he can begin the arduous process of developing an NBA-ready body?

If, on top of all that, he is going on a 2-year mission, forget about him...

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Why does Gordon need to flip the switch offensively?? He is not a go to guy. He knows it also

Even without a shot though, once he puts on more muscle + utilizing his athleticism, he is going to have a easier time making all kinds of tough baskets.   He has excellent passing skills, good enough handles and knows how to help his team offensively.  His last several shots/passes vs Wisconsin shows also  he can come through in crucial situations.

Gordon's bread and butter is his defense. He is twice the defender Parker is. You don't see everyday a guy able to defend 4 positions.

Lastly let me ask you, which player is likely going to able to stay on the floor longer in the nba starting next season ??  Its Gordon . Coaches don't yank players that don't turn over the ball and play oustanding defense. Parker might get fouled out before the half is done

How can Gordon stay on the floor with a 42.2% FT percentage?  I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot barge pole...

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'm sure Philly and the Bucks hope so.......

We ll have to settle for watching him scoring like crazy over Brandon Bass for another tanking season.     ::)

Why did we keep all these sorry players .....ugh.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

How can Gordon stay on the floor with a 42.2% FT percentage?  I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot barge pole...

Defense, rebounding, and athleticism.  Andre Drummond was a 29.5% FT shooter in college (and 40.2% in the NBA) and some people seem to like him.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:03:03 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Defense, rebounding, and athleticism.  Andre Drummond was a 29.5% FT shooter in college (and 40.2% in the NBA) and some people seem to like him.

If the Celts believe that Gordon can learn to shoot mid-range jumpers and free throws, then I would completely understand taking him somewhere between the 5th and 8th picks.  He's a great prospect otherwise, but can you imagine having both Gordon and Rondo on the floor to close out games?!? 

I'll say this - I'd take Gordon with our higher pick over Randle any day.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

And Jabari is 5 times the offensive player that Gordon is. Jabari's put on 20 pounds since his injury in the 2013 off season. He'll surely drop that puppy fat and more with NBA conditioning in the summer and the diet control he'll get.
I'd also argue that Gordon isn't going to be able to bully NBA players as he has done in the NCAA which will take him at least one season to get used to as he adjusts and add's more strength.
What do we care if Gordon can stay on the floor next season? Where are we going next season? Are we pulling off a K Love trade? Most likely not, so we need to find a bonafide STAR player.
Jabari Parker has the makings of a star. Aaron Gordon has the makings of an elite role player.
Jabari's footwork, timing and rhythm for someone his size are just incredible.
Why isn't he a great defender? Because he's never had to play defense to beat his opponents- he'd just outscore them.
The kid is a killer and has stated multiple times that he takes losing personally. You don't think he'll take the negativity about his defense personally and work on it?

Who would you take with the 5th pick? Jabari Parker or Aaron Gordon?
They shouldn't even be in the same conversation.
You're saying he doesn't have a quick first step, but he's still quick enough to burn the best defenders the NCAA. Pierce doesn't have the quickest first step either. He turned out okay.
I remember when people said the same thing about Pierce's defense at Kansas. They said the same about Kevin Durant. They said the same thing about Carmelo.
What's the difference between those three now?
Durant and Pierce have superior work ethic- as does Jabari Parker.
Carmelo doesn't care about defense as much so he's not willing to put in the work.
Jabari Parker will 110% put in the work because that's the next step for him.

Why do you think Ainge is enamoured with him? He's Paul Pierce 2.0 and his ceiling is even higher because of his already incredible 3 point shot that took Pierce years to develop.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

And Jabari is 5 times the offensive player that Gordon is. Jabari's put on 20 pounds since his injury in the 2013 off season. He'll surely drop that puppy fat and more with NBA conditioning in the summer and the diet control he'll get.
I'd also argue that Gordon isn't going to be able to bully NBA players as he has done in the NCAA which will take him at least one season to get used to as he adjusts and add's more strength.
What do we care if Gordon can stay on the floor next season? Where are we going next season? Are we pulling off a K Love trade? Most likely not, so we need to find a bonafide STAR player.
Jabari Parker has the makings of a star. Aaron Gordon has the makings of an elite role player.
Why isn't he a great defender? Because he's never had to play defense to beat his opponents- he'd just outscore them.
The kid is a killer and has stated multiple times that he takes losing personally. You don't think he'll take the negativity about his defense personally and work on it?

You're saying he doesn't have a quick first step, but he's still quick enough to burn the best defenders the NCAA. Pierce doesn't have the quickest first step either. He turned out okay.
I remember when people said the same thing about Pierce's defense at Kansas. They said the same about Kevin Durant. They said the same thing about Carmelo.
Carmelo doesn't care about defense as much so he's not willing to put in the work.

Why do you think Ainge is enamoured with him? He's Paul Pierce 2.0 and his ceiling is even higher because of his already incredible 3 point shot that took Pierce years to develop.

Good post. People don't realize that there's so many great defenders in the league today, who weren't known to play much defense back when they were in college. The only point you made that befuddled me a little bit was in your last sentence. I like the Paul Pierce 2.0 comparison, and if the C's actually land Parker, I hope he becomes a top tier NBA scorer like Pierce was for over a decade. However, it didn't exactly take Pierce years to develop a 3 point shot. Even in his rookie year when he played less than 50games, Pierce shot over 200 3s and made over 41% of them.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Parker is not 5 times the offensive player, come on. While gordon cant do some things parker can do, like the step back jumpers, parker also cant make difficult shots around the basket like gordon can. When parker has a bad shooting night he will keep shooting , like anthony.  And he doesnt run this late of the game bc he has run out of gas.

Gordon on the other hand being the athelete he is, turns on the turbo.

Stamina is a other underrated difference between the two.  In addition gordon doesnt lose focus when the stress gets worse. Gordon is going to be a steal imo bc he will develop a consistent jump shot . At  worse worse at least improve his ft shooting percentage. You say parker will be dedicated to working on his defense, body. Well good luck. Look at melo(even pierce), he still has an avg body since he has come into the league. Its not going to be easy. It could also be a genetic matter
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:01:11 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
This team NEEDS a "go to guy", more than it needs a glorified role player drafted in the lottery.  Parker has an "elite" skillset right now and that is putting the ball in the basket from anywhere. I think he has the psychological makeup of a leader and just judging from his interviews and his most recent thoughtful written declaration for the draft, Parker sounds like he has it. This is kid that seems to take losing hard and I want that in my lead guy. Gordon is a nice player but he's a soldier, not a leader. And we have plenty of soldiers.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 01:14:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I heard Jabari Parker couldn't find defence if he were sitting on it.

Did that work? Mixed metaphor, bad pun anyone? Scratch an itch you didn't know you had an never wanted?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This team NEEDS a "go to guy", more than it needs a glorified role player drafted in the lottery.  Parker has an "elite" skillset right now and that is putting the ball in the basket from anywhere. I think he has the psychological makeup of a leader and just judging from his interviews and his most recent thoughtful written declaration for the draft, Parker sounds like he has it. This is kid that seems to take losing hard and I want that in my lead guy. Gordon is a nice player but he's a soldier, not a leader. And we have plenty of soldiers.

The Celtics need alot of things, not just a go to guy. We need defensive help , we need to add more athletes, we need 3 pt shooters etc.

KO and Sullinger imo are capable to be go to guys.   Parker as good as he is on the offensive end, showed me very little late in games vs elite teams/teams that are defensive oriented.  Aaron Gordon/Wiggins had more late clutch moments in these situations. This goes back to issue of lack of stamina imo and maybe lack of killer instincts
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:40:34 PM by triboy16f »