Author Topic: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics  (Read 10687 times)

Re: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I still dont quite understand why DA pulled that trade.. Does he think the sixers will make big splashes in  FA? taking two 2rd'ers for a bad contract, yes its bad, does not add up expecially when both Brooks and Crawford were coming off the books.. Ill just go on saying he knows something obviously we dont...

Getting rid of Crawford Contributed to us losing probably 4-5 more games. Difference between the 7-8 pick and the tie for 4th we have now

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:33:02 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I still dont quite understand why DA pulled that trade.. Does he think the sixers will make big splashes in  FA? taking two 2rd'ers for a bad contract, yes its bad, does not add up expecially when both Brooks and Crawford were coming off the books.. Ill just go on saying he knows something obviously we dont...

He did that trade because:

1) Brooks and Crawford were not going to be part of next year's team. They were assets that had no value after the trade deadline.

2) The draft picks are assets that have value until June 2015 and June 2016 at the least.  So he got future value to make the team better.

3) Those picks can be traded to help bring in players, or be used to select cost-controlled depth.  One of the undervalued aspects of young players on rookie deals on this board is that after a year of development, you have a rotation player for $1-2 million, which might cost you $5-6 million on the open market.  That's $3-4 million you can direct from role players to star players.  Get enough late 1st and seconds, and you find a diamond in the rough or two, and now you have a very good player on a cheap deal, and you're all the better.  This is why Houston is in such a great position.  This is why Philly was willing to acquire a ton of second rounders at the deadline.  Most of those second rounders won't amount to much.  But none of them will be guaranteed much beyond year 1, so if they don't pan out, they're gone.  Those that are worth keeping are locked into a minimum deal for three more years, leaving you the ability to attack the free agent market luring two stars to pair with your cheap up-and-comers.

4) He did not/does not anticipate making a major free agent signing using cap room, so Anthony's salary is not a severe impairment until you get near the luxury tax.  Accordingly, Anthony is really only a cost to the owners' poclets, who seem to have given him some flexibility with regards to those pockets.

5) If the opportunity presents itself to make a major trade for a star on a large deal, expiring contracts will be useful to make salaries match.  Teams selling stars don't like taking on multi-year deals in return that aren't for young/cheap players, because they want the flexibility for the following off season to sell to their season-ticket holders ("I know we traded Kevin Love, but we got back a couple young stars in the making, draft picks, and we can be major players in free agency this summer").

6) Early second-round picks, which are what we get from the Sixers if they don't make the playoffs and give us a first-rounder, are worth about a million or dollars in cash to purchase, maybe a bit more depending on the depth of the draft.  There are limits as to how much cash you can send out in trades every year, so we've gotten picks while not dipping into the limit.  Even that probably late second from Miami can help grease the wheels of some trade, or has cash value in its own right (I think I saw it reported we paid about $700k for the pick for Colten Iverson, which will be around where the Miami pick winds up).  I'd bet the cash value of those picks is very near what Anthony will be paid.  Potentially more.

7) There is some talk of changing the draft lottery system as early as next year, since many NBA teams are mad at the Sixers.  This includes allowing playoff teams to participate in the lottery, and/or lessen/remove the restriction on how far your draft slot can fall.  Accordingly, there's an outside chance that pick conveys to us even if the Sixers tank again next year.  Remote, but worth considering.

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 11:39:28 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I doubt that it's coincidental that among others...Olynyk showed noticiable defensive improvement after the trade. 

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 02:28:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm not convinced he could get a fully guaranteed deal for the year entire year.  Not sure what he offers that's really different from Jason Collins.

Shotblocking, rebounding, the ability to not airball open layups 3 feet from the basket, the ability to not foul out in 5 minutes of court time.

Contrary to popular believe, Jason Collins last season was quite possibly the worst player who has ever received court time in a Celtics uniform since the big 3 era began in 2008.  His only theoretical uses were:

1) The fact that he was 7 foot and 260lb body and could set some good screens
2) The fact that he had a REPUTATION for being a defensive stopper

In reality not only was his offense horrendous (he shotabout 35% from the field most the year and constantly bricked wide open shots 5 feet from the basket), his defense was equally horrendous.  He had by far the worst defensive rating on the team (and one of the worst in the entire league) and he constantly gave opposing teams free points because he was so utterly incapable defensively that he would foul oppenents pretty much every time, giving up a mass of three throws every time he stepped on the court.

I really liked Collins as a person because he always seemed like a smart guy, a great mentour, a top locker room guy, and he always played hard.  But wholy crap was he bad.  He was so bad he left me BEGGING Danny Ainge to make a trade to bring Ryan Hollins back.  Yep, that's really bad.

I actually don't mind what Anthony has done in his (few and far between) minutes on the court.  At 6'9" he's definately undersized at center, but he makes up for that somewhat with a tough attitude, a strong physique, reasonable mobility and a 7'5" wingspan.  He uses the tools he has pretty well defensively to block / alter shots and to muscle opposing players off their position without fouling.  He's also a pretty decent rebounder.  While he's not (by any stretch of the imagination) a talented offensive player, he plays within his limits and tends to both:

1) Finish the few shots he takes
2) Avoid turnovers

To be honest, as far as 3rd or 4th options go at the center spot...you could probably do a lot worse.  If he's any higher in the rotation than 3rd though, you're in a lot of trouble.  Also as servicable as he may be, he's not worth the nearly $4m price tag attached to him.  I wouldn't mind be too much against keeping him though for a vet minimal deal. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:52:13 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
he needs to be cut or dealt !!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Outright cutting him would be fiscally irresponsible.  Giving up something useful just to be rid of him would be bad GMing.  It'd be better to keep his contract as something that can be used to match salaries in a trade and then offer to buy him out if you can't make a trade before the deadline.

Maybe Ainge has dreams of drafting Wiggins and putting him on the floor with Olynyk and Joel Anthony.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not convinced he could get a fully guaranteed deal for the year entire year.  Not sure what he offers that's really different from Jason Collins.

the ability to not airball open layups 3 feet from the basket

You're right - instead, he just airballs them 0 feet from the basket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2akdYIFJ2A

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 12:40:48 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
He's due to make 3.8mil next season. Could be a good expiring contract at the trade deadline..
yep, pretty much. he's seriously overpaid, but he's a professional that does have some skills. maybe at the very least he'll be an example to the young bigs of how to play D.
hey, at least he can't be any worse than bogans...
i'm reaching, aren't i? this sucks.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Outright cutting him would be fiscally irresponsible.  Giving up something useful just to be rid of him would be bad GMing.  It'd be better to keep his contract as something that can be used to match salaries in a trade and then offer to buy him out if you can't make a trade before the deadline.

Maybe Ainge has dreams of drafting Wiggins and putting him on the floor with Olynyk and Joel Anthony.

i know. i was being facetious about the cutting part.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Source: Joel Anthony, as expected, will opt in to the final year of his contract with the Boston Celtics. He'll make $3,800,000 next season.

Alex Kennedy

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:26 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Behold, the news we have all been waiting for!
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I know I have.

It means he can now be traded on Draft Night. Could be useful as salary ballast in a deal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I know I have.

It means he can now be traded on Draft Night. Could be useful as salary ballast in a deal.

Maybe.  It depends if the paperwork is completed by then.  We can always hope that his agent uses Elvis Dumervil's fax machine, right?

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I know I have.

Maybe.  It depends if the paperwork is completed by then.  We can always hope that his agent uses Elvis Dumervil's fax machine, right?

Well, I've seen reports that he already did. June 10, according to RealGM.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/league

They seem to have info for other options, but perhaps a grain of salt is needed?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:52:59 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I know I have.

Well, I've seen reports that he already did. June 10, according to RealGM.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/transactions/league

They seem to have info for other options, but perhaps a grain of salt is needed?

Don't wreck my dream of the broken fax machine.  As a Broncos fan, I deserve the pendulum swing in that one.