Author Topic: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics  (Read 10682 times)

Re: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
And water is wet  ;D If no one else was returning to the team I knew HE was..lol.
stole my line :(

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wonder if he'd be willing to take a buyout.  You've got to think that he could latch on to some team for the minimum, which is a bit more than $1.2 million. 

If the Celts offered him, say, $2.75 million, would it be in his best interests to take it?

Would it be in the Celtics best interest to do so?  I know he's an "expiring contract", but more often than not, expiring contracts do just that:  expire.  They're not always the trading chip that people think they are.
Not until after the trade deadline. Small expirings make bigger deals easier to structure, unless we really need to use his roster spot elsewhere.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wonder if he'd be willing to take a buyout.  You've got to think that he could latch on to some team for the minimum, which is a bit more than $1.2 million. 

If the Celts offered him, say, $2.75 million, would it be in his best interests to take it?

Would it be in the Celtics best interest to do so?  I know he's an "expiring contract", but more often than not, expiring contracts do just that:  expire.  They're not always the trading chip that people think they are.

I'm not convinced he could get a fully guaranteed deal for the year entire year.  Not sure what he offers that's really different from Jason Collins.

Also, I'm not sure how much that $1 million would offer in terms of flexibility anyway.  We don't really have cap room, and willingly gave that up to acquire the picks with Anthony.  He's good tanking filler for Minny in a Love trade, for example, and is cheaper than Bass.  Sully-Anthony-Bogans-Johnson-Babb creates the salary to take back Love's contract this offseason (obviously picks are added), and requires them to take on less salary than a deal with Bass.

While a lot of what you say is true, I wouldn't downplay what $1 million in flexibility can get you.  Maybe it's the difference in taking a flyer on a player like Greg Smith when he goes through waivers.

My guess is that Joel Anthony vs. Brandon Bass won't be the decider in any Love trade this off-season.  If it is, it will likely be because the Wolves prefer Bass, and hope to flip him for an actual asset.

They could have taken a flyer on Greg Smith after he passed through waivers anyway.  They had enough room to add him for 2 days.  They would have needed to release someone, but I don't think Chicago, who had less room than we did, went over the tax to get him.  But I do see your point at large.

That said, re: Anthony to Minny in the completely not happening universe where we get Love -- I'd also like to keep Bass, since he's much more useful on that team than Anthony, or anyone we can probably get with our saved money.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:04:25 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Is Anthony really that useless?  I didnt see much of his play this year (noone did) but is a big man who can play a little bit around the rim.

Id guess the bigger issue is we are rebuilding and hes not going to be part of the plans.  I suppose that money is on the high side for a guy that may not see much court time but I doubt it will be a kneecapper of a contract.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Is Anthony really that useless?  I didnt see much of his play this year (noone did) but is a big man who can play a little bit around the rim.

Id guess the bigger issue is we are rebuilding and hes not going to be part of the plans.  I suppose that money is on the high side for a guy that may not see much court time but I doubt it will be a kneecapper of a contract.
fair point but I'd ask does he bring more than Fav or Colton Iverson would bring for much less money?  I think that he costs more than he provides on the court.  I do think his biggest value is as an expiring deal to balance $ in trade talks.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Not until after the trade deadline. Small expirings make bigger deals easier to structure, unless we really need to use his roster spot elsewhere.
Yeah, Anthony helping the Celtics in a big deal is a longshot, but there's just not enough benefit to giving that up.

I mean, 1 roster spot and 1 million dollars won't give us any flexibility that we don't already have, whereas there's no other way for us to come by a 4 million dollar expiring.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Useless?  no.  But the NBA is becoming much more of a perimeter-oriented game, with stretch 4s and stretch 5s.  That does not highlight his strengths.  Certainly you need some muscle down low still, but less than before, which means if you were a fringe 5 to begin with, you might find employment difficult.  He's a guy who waits around for someone to get injured and for the trade deadline to pass, like Jason Collins this year with the Nets.

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's a guy who waits around for someone to get injured and for the trade deadline to pass, like Jason Collins this year with the Nets.

I really don't think so.  He's younger and better than Collins, and doesn't bring the same level of media attention.  I think the Heat, for instance, would take him back on a full-season minimum deal in a second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Roy, Just curious, in your signature pic, you don't have Havlicek.  No room? 

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anthony needs his  retirement funds.  Watch him come in better shape though

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 10:25:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Roy, Just curious, in your signature pic, you don't have Havlicek.  No room?

Yeah, no space.  I wanted three generations of Celtics greats in there, and Kiorrik came through for me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
He's a guy who waits around for someone to get injured and for the trade deadline to pass, like Jason Collins this year with the Nets.

I really don't think so.  He's younger and better than Collins, and doesn't bring the same level of media attention.  I think the Heat, for instance, would take him back on a full-season minimum deal in a second.

He's also 6'9".  I don't think the Heat would take him back in a second.  I think they'd wait to see if they needed him -- they didn't need him this year.

Do I think he'd never get back in the NBA?  Not at all.  Do I think he could have difficulty finding a one-year guaranteed deal?  Yes, I do.  In a world where LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and even Paul Pierce are playing the four, there is a smaller market for undersized big men (oxymoron noted) who can't play on the perimeter.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's also 6'9".  I don't think the Heat would take him back in a second.  I think they'd wait to see if they needed him -- they didn't need him this year.

Do I think he'd never get back in the NBA?  Not at all.  Do I think he could have difficulty finding a one-year guaranteed deal?  Yes, I do.  In a world where LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and even Paul Pierce are playing the four, there is a smaller market for undersized big men (oxymoron noted) who can't play on the perimeter.

There's always room for big men who have some level of skill.

There are 76 guys 6'9" and taller who played on NBA rosters last year who averaged fewer than 5 points and 5 rebounds per game.  There are a lot of scrubs out there. 

I can't imagine that a team wouldn't pay $900k for a good defender with championship experience.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

There's always room for big men who have some level of skill.

There are 76 guys 6'9" and taller who played on NBA rosters last year who averaged fewer than 5 points and 5 rebounds per game.  There are a lot of scrubs out there. 

I can't imagine that a team wouldn't pay $900k for a good defender with championship experience.

I guess we'll find out in the 2015 offseason when he's a free agent.

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I still dont quite understand why DA pulled that trade.. Does he think the sixers will make big splashes in  FA? taking two 2rd'ers for a bad contract, yes its bad, does not add up expecially when both Brooks and Crawford were coming off the books.. Ill just go on saying he knows something obviously we dont...