Author Topic: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics  (Read 10710 times)

Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Boston Celtics forward/center Joel Anthony will exercise his player option for the 2014-15 season and return to the C’s, a league source informed CSNNW.com.

Although Anthony isn’t too thrilled with the current rebuilding phase of the organization, passing up a sizable guaranteed salary is not something he’s willing to do, the source explained.

Re: Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No surprise there.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Saw that. A no-brainer for him.

I wonder when, exactly, Anthony is going to opt in. If he can do so before Draft Night, he can be traded.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
He couldn't just take one for the team, UGH! LOL of course he would take it but I wish he would not have.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
He's due to make 3.8mil next season. Could be a good expiring contract at the trade deadline..
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:37 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Ugh, but saw it coming.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:54 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
And water is wet  ;D If no one else was returning to the team I knew HE was..lol.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 12:12:05 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Shocker!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:02 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
This is a good thing.  It's another 3.8 million they can trow in a trade. 

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:03 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He's due to make 3.8mil next season. Could be a good expiring contract at the trade deadline..

Or this summer.  Throw in Bass's expiring contract, the non guarenteed deals of Bogans, Babb, Pressey, and Johnson, and all of sudden you can throw north of 15 mil you put together in a deal.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder if he'd be willing to take a buyout.  You've got to think that he could latch on to some team for the minimum, which is a bit more than $1.2 million. 

If the Celts offered him, say, $2.75 million, would it be in his best interests to take it?

Would it be in the Celtics best interest to do so?  I know he's an "expiring contract", but more often than not, expiring contracts do just that:  expire.  They're not always the trading chip that people think they are.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:59 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I wonder if he'd be willing to take a buyout.  You've got to think that he could latch on to some team for the minimum, which is a bit more than $1.2 million. 

If the Celts offered him, say, $2.75 million, would it be in his best interests to take it?

Would it be in the Celtics best interest to do so?  I know he's an "expiring contract", but more often than not, expiring contracts do just that:  expire.  They're not always the trading chip that people think they are.

Especially with the new CBA, as Grantland's(?) Lowe(?) points out.

The bad contracts can only get so bad in terms of years now. So expirings aren't worth that much now.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Joel Anthony opting in with Celtics

that Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.!

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm not convinced he could get a fully guaranteed deal for the year entire year.  Not sure what he offers that's really different from Jason Collins.

Also, I'm not sure how much that $1 million would offer in terms of flexibility anyway.  We don't really have cap room, and willingly gave that up to acquire the picks with Anthony.  He's good tanking filler for Minny in a Love trade, for example, and is cheaper than Bass.  Sully-Anthony-Bogans-Johnson-Babb creates the salary to take back Love's contract this offseason (obviously picks are added), and requires them to take on less salary than a deal with Bass.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm not convinced he could get a fully guaranteed deal for the year entire year.  Not sure what he offers that's really different from Jason Collins.

Also, I'm not sure how much that $1 million would offer in terms of flexibility anyway.  We don't really have cap room, and willingly gave that up to acquire the picks with Anthony.  He's good tanking filler for Minny in a Love trade, for example, and is cheaper than Bass.  Sully-Anthony-Bogans-Johnson-Babb creates the salary to take back Love's contract this offseason (obviously picks are added), and requires them to take on less salary than a deal with Bass.

While a lot of what you say is true, I wouldn't downplay what $1 million in flexibility can get you.  Maybe it's the difference in taking a flyer on a player like Greg Smith when he goes through waivers.

My guess is that Joel Anthony vs. Brandon Bass won't be the decider in any Love trade this off-season.  If it is, it will likely be because the Wolves prefer Bass, and hope to flip him for an actual asset.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes