12 (27.3%)
TJ Warren
8 (18.2%)
James Young
8 (18.2%)
Early
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Which wing do you draft at #18?  (Read 12044 times)

Re: Which wing do you draft at #18?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
always go for upside
said the agents of Kedrick Brown, Gabe Pruitt, JJJ, Marshon Brooks, Fab Melo, Gerald Green and JR Giddens
 ::)

Jajuan Johnson, Marshon Brooks, Pruitt and Giddens...are quite a bit of a stretch to be called upside picks.

Fab Melo is just a sad pick. I'm not sure if you could call it an upside pick as he wasn't young. The way he went about being a bust was sad.

I wanted PJIII, would have been a dream draft. Then I got suckered into rooting for Fab Melo, later much to my chagrin. Now I'm occasionally reminiscing of what could have been - that draft was deep.

I wish there was some way Olynyk or better yet Sully could swap bodies with Fab. I'm sure they would live with having a goofy face with all those physical tools.

PJIII hasn't had the most opportunity being at OKC, but he is 1 or 2 seasons away from being a 100% bust.
Jeremy Lamb is getting there too.

Agreed.

PJIII had the playing time, going against better and younger teammates in practices. We can say that he had a better platform to be much better and when he got the opportunity he hasnt shown it.

Fab Melo was an awful pick, and I was happy when we picked him thinking we need a rim protector. I think I'm the only one who will say that he didnt quite get a lot cracks at it, but then again, you can only make a first impression once.

But PJIII hasnt done anything either, and he's supposedly one of those bright kids coming in that draft class.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like Warren with our 2nd pick - he can just score in so many ways and seems to have a great feel for the game.

Earlier in the year, we were possibly projected to take Hood with our first pick (in the 9-11 range). I guess he has taken a dive - is there a reason for this? I kind of like his game and would be satisfied with him as a selection.

Guys like Stauskas and McDermott could be just the shooters we need. There is always a place for these types in the nba. I feel they are lower risk players, but may not have the upside Danny likes to reach for when he has two firsts.

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
always go for upside
said the agents of Kedrick Brown, Gabe Pruitt, JJJ, Marshon Brooks, Fab Melo, Gerald Green and JR Giddens
 ::)

Jajuan Johnson, Marshon Brooks, Pruitt and Giddens...are quite a bit of a stretch to be called upside picks.

Fab Melo is just a sad pick. I'm not sure if you could call it an upside pick as he wasn't young. The way he went about being a bust was sad.

I wanted PJIII, would have been a dream draft. Then I got suckered into rooting for Fab Melo, later much to my chagrin. Now I'm occasionally reminiscing of what could have been - that draft was deep.

I wish there was some way Olynyk or better yet Sully could swap bodies with Fab. I'm sure they would live with having a goofy face with all those physical tools.

PJIII hasn't had the most opportunity being at OKC, but he is 1 or 2 seasons away from being a 100% bust.
Jeremy Lamb is getting there too.

Agreed.

PJIII had the playing time, going against better and younger teammates in practices. We can say that he had a better platform to be much better and when he got the opportunity he hasnt shown it.

Fab Melo was an awful pick, and I was happy when we picked him thinking we need a rim protector. I think I'm the only one who will say that he didnt quite get a lot cracks at it, but then again, you can only make a first impression once.

But PJIII hasnt done anything either, and he's supposedly one of those bright kids coming in that draft class.

yea, sure, Fab was a bad pick, but in retrospect, who did we really miss out on by picking him? PJ3 has been pathetic, so has just about everyone else that was picked after Fab with the exceptions of maybe Tony Wroten, Draymond Green, and Kyle OQuinn. And those are not exactly names that we are going to be regretting passing on.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Funny how little love Harris is getting.  If you would've asked this question 4 months ago I bet he'd have been the leading vote-getter.

Few are talking about him because no one expects him to be there at 17. I'd probably take him if he is there, the only hesitation being his size. I'd like to see if he is really 6'4", or is more like 6'2". Don't need an Avery Bradley clone.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Funny how little love Harris is getting.  If you would've asked this question 4 months ago I bet he'd have been the leading vote-getter.

Few are talking about him because no one expects him to be there at 17. I'd probably take him if he is there, the only hesitation being his size. I'd like to see if he is really 6'4", or is more like 6'2". Don't need an Avery Bradley clone.

He's supposed to be a better shooter and overall scorer than Bradley was. And yeah nobody is talking about him because he's projected to go much earlier than 17th. It's much more likely that we're looking at names like Stauskas, LaVine, and Young as far as SGs go. For SFs it's names like Grant, Hood, McDaniels, Warren, Early.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Maybe I'm late to the party, but aren't we picking #17 ?  I thought the pick was a spot higher now ?  If there, my vote would go to Warren.  He really should be a lotto pick with the way he dominated at the college level IMO

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Maybe I'm late to the party, but aren't we picking #17 ?  I thought the pick was a spot higher now ?  If there, my vote would go to Warren.  He really should be a lotto pick with the way he dominated at the college level IMO

It is 17 now, Think the thread was just made when it seemed extremely likely it would be 18.

I don't take a wing, though. If he's there I take Nurkic. He's going to be a good one, at least Pekovic level.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

It is 17 now, Think the thread was just made when it seemed extremely likely it would be 18.

I don't take a wing, though. If he's there I take Nurkic. He's going to be a good one, at least Pekovic level.

I agree. If we are really lucky and Saric falls based on him staying abroad for 2 more years, then we grab Saric, otherwise I would love to get Nurkic.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

I agree. If we are really lucky and Saric falls based on him staying abroad for 2 more years, then we grab Saric, otherwise I would love to get Nurkic.

I haven't thought much about Saric, just kind of assumed he go right outside the top-10 but at 17 Saric or Nurkic would be very, very good picks.

Hopefully Danny isn't swayed to skip out on another excellent international prospect. They're risky sometimes, but I'm very confident in both those players being good.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Hood

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:29 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm in favor of KJ Mcdaniels if we draft a player for the here and now because of his superb athleticism and defense. 

If we go the draft and stash route, I would like Dario Saric.  Looks like the real deal and has 6-10 length as well as the ability to play SF.  He looks like the Giannis Adetekunbo of this year's draft.

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:23 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If we go the draft and stash route, I would like Dario Saric.  Looks like the real deal and has 6-10 length as well as the ability to play SF.  He looks like the Giannis Adetekunbo of this year's draft.

Saric isn't the Giannis of this draft.  Giannis is all potential - Saric is the MVP of a real basketball league at 19.  The Adriatic League is of course not as competitive as the NBA by any stretch, but it's produced plenty of NBA players and it's not exactly a walk in the park.  It's right up there with Spain and France and to be as successful as he is at a young age there is a really good sign.

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 02:15:07 AM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
If Saric is there at 17 you have to take him IMO. He is a 6' 10" wing that can pass take it to the basket and hit the the jumper. Of course I'm going off what I've heard but I've seen a couple games online and he looks like the real deal to me. We stash him till 2015 when he wants to come over he takes over at the SF. I hope we get lucky and draft Embiid. Come 2015 we sign Klay Thompson. Rondo Thompson Saric Sullinger/Olynk Embiid Olynk or Sullinger comes in as 6th man. That's an excellent team IMO.
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:50 AM »

fitzhickey

I saw Stauskas compared to Jason Kapono. I don't know much about him but if that's a legit comparison count me out.

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

Saric isn't the Giannis of this draft.  Giannis is all potential - Saric is the MVP of a real basketball league at 19.  The Adriatic League is of course not as competitive as the NBA by any stretch, but it's produced plenty of NBA players and it's not exactly a walk in the park.  It's right up there with Spain and France and to be as successful as he is at a young age there is a really good sign.

Giannis should have been the C's pick over Olynyk. The potential he has is amazing. If Saric has even close to the ceiling that he had he would be 6th in this draft not being talked about as the 18th pick. If he somehow slides then take him.