Author Topic: Rondo has to be traded  (Read 12200 times)

Re: Rondo has to be traded
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Will not be traded and it would be stupid to trade him for the offers that are out there.
He will get a new contract with the no trade clause and stay here for a while folks,  better get used to the idea.

Explain to me Rondo's motivation in signing a deal to stay here for a while.

I'm pretty sure he's explained it himself more than once.

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Hate to break it to you, but Rondo's value in the league is quite realistic - and quite out of line with the hero worship and statistical distortion on this blog. I'm still laughing over the ridiculous notion that assist percentages are some sort of accurate measure of ball pounding. In the political world, they call that kind of distortion "spin."

I don't think anyone's claiming assist percentages are an accurate measure of ball pounding. I do recall someone pointing out that the average length of time Rondo held onto it when he got it was fairly typical for point guards. Maybe you should re-read the amusing posts, they might not seem quite so funny.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
The realistic value of Rajon Rondo on the NBA market is FAR below where the majority of Celtics fans believe it lies. FAR below.
You have just made a speculative devaluation of a player's value based on your supposed and undetermined valuation by the collective fan base. Hmm...

Hardly speculative. How many NBA front office people do you communicate with?

Hate to break it to you, but Rondo's value in the league is quite realistic - and quite out of line with the hero worship and statistical distortion on this blog. I'm still laughing over the ridiculous notion that assist percentages are some sort of accurate measure of ball pounding. In the political world, they call that kind of distortion "spin."

Rondo is known among some front office types as a great talent who can't shoot, pounds the basketball on the offensive end, doesn't work hard on the defensive end and now has a mediocre (to put it charitably) half-season of post-injury basketball on his resume.

They do preseason polls of nba gms about the teams and players and Rondo's been listed among the top defenders multiple times. Also, he's made multiple all defense teams, which the coaches vote on. So there's ample evidence that nba experts and front office types disagree with your opinion. If you have any evidence that any of them agree with you I'd like to see it.

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

True. Along with poor defensive effort, bad ball movement, etc.

The realistic value of Rajon Rondo on the NBA market is FAR below where the majority of Celtics fans believe it lies. FAR below.

I disagree with your opinion and therefore his value is actually FAR above where you believe where it lies. FAR above.

Just to add to this discussion, Danny Ainge was on Felger/Mazz back on February 21st (one day after the trade deadline.) Below is a link which includes an audio clip of the interview

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/ainge-rondo-rockets-was-never-discussed

At around 2:13, Danny talks about how highly the organization thinks of Rondo but also says something along the lines of "20 out of 30 teams in the NBA already have their point guard, and thus would not be interested in trading for Rondo."

That tells me while Rondo's trade value might not necessarily be low, it is also not very high.

I suppose from there, it would be up to the other 10 teams looking for point guards to deem necessary value for Rondo.

There's a lot of point guards in the league, therefore Rondo won't net a great return. Might be hard to move him as his relative value is lowered. ---- Fair enough. Point taken.

Then he pushes it and starts calling everyone delusional, saying that Rondo's absolute value as a player is FAR lower than the perceived value by fans since everyone's in lala land, implying that he's more in tune with the GMs of the league for some reason.

Skepticism is misplaced. Seems some get off on being more "realistic" than everyone else through being highly negative about the assets on the team. Skepticism should instead be placed on the certainty of your assertions for better predictions, imo.

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Will not be traded and it would be stupid to trade him for the offers that are out there.
He will get a new contract with the no trade clause and stay here for a while folks,  better get used to the idea.

Explain to me Rondo's motivation in signing a deal to stay here for a while.

Rondo will stay for many reasons...  including out of Love.  (see the catch?)

He could stay for love of the fans, the city etc... but he will mostly stay out of love of himself. Best contract he can get is here, the no trade clause, he said he want to stay that it's his team now.
It will be very easy for management to keep him, it's just a matter of wanting to keep him, which they seem they do, if they don't they'll trade him of course. But they do and that's the smart choice.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.