Author Topic: Rondo has to be traded  (Read 12212 times)

Re: Rondo has to be traded
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Trading Rondo always comes back to the same issue, value.

Because of the rule changes, and a plethora of good (not great) pgs, there is little value in trading Rondo.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I tend to agree with the thread title, but not for the reasons stated in the post.

Here's my thinking:

a) Rondo is going to hit unrestricted free agency.  That's something he has admitted that he is looking forward to, a lot.

b) When Rondo hits free agency, he's going to sign with a team that already has the pieces in place to win a lot of games and make noise in the playoffs.

c) The Celtics, in my opinion, are very unlikely to be in that position.  Therefore, I'm not optimistic about Rondo re-signing in Boston.

His statements about free agency were almost identical to PP's in 2010  or so. Here's what Rondo said:

"I've heard stories, guys getting called right at midnight. It's something that I haven't experienced. I may want to go through it. I haven't thought about it at all."

Except Pierce was on a team coming off a Finals appearance, while Rondo looks like he'll be playing for another lottery bound team next season.

Still to early to tell what the team will look like next year. I agree Rondo looks like he'll be playing on it.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think those people who are saying you'll see a different Rondo next season are right.  I expect to see more fluid offense, and more effort on defense.  However, I also don't think he's as good as some people rate him.  He's not a top 5 point guard even when healthy.  He is, however, a unique point guard that can excel in the right circumstances (on a team with a bunch of shot makers).  He's one of the better playmakers in the league.

Because I don't think the C's offense is currently set up for him to thrive in, and because he can walk in 2015 (the C's could overpay for him - I hope they don't though.  He's not a max player IMO.  I think 5 years/$12-$14M is the most I'd want them to go for him) I think trade is the best option.  Ideally, I'd like to see them actually get a bona fide NBA starter back to play PG or C (not just picks) so that the team isn't too inexperienced, but I'm not sure what he's worth right now. 

The Lakers deal for Nash (Nash isn't exactly what I had in mind for NBA starter PG) plus pick that has been tossed around this board a few times might be a realistic one that could be on the table come draft time.  I'd think about it if I'm Ainge.  I think more likely though, he'll be the starting PG come game 1 of '14-15 because I think Danny is fond of his game.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
2. They still have Brandon Jennings on the roster and it's hard to imagine anybody touching that contract.  Maybe the Knicks.

The contract apparently is not too bad.

Still won't trade Rondo for Jennings, though.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
2. They still have Brandon Jennings on the roster and it's hard to imagine anybody touching that contract.  Maybe the Knicks.

He's making $7.5 million a year, has 2 years left, and he shot 37% this season while jacking up 14 shots a game.

For his career, he attempts 15 shots a game and shoots 39% from the field.

The verdict is in on Brandon Jennings: he's not a guy you want starting for your team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 12:22:15 AM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Will not be traded and it would be stupid to trade him for the offers that are out there.
He will get a new contract with the no trade clause and stay here for a while folks,  better get used to the idea.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
On point b) I doubt there is a team that will have the pieces needed for Rondo to be joining a championship roster, while simultaneously having the cap space to outbid the Cs for his services. Just my hunch.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He's making $7.5 million a year, has 2 years left, and he shot 37% this season while jacking up 14 shots a game.

The verdict is in on Brandon Jennings: he's not a guy you want starting for your team.
He's a horrible starter.  I read a stat a couple days ago that also showed that he has given up far more penetrations by opposing players than any other player in the league.  He's really only good for creating shots that he won't make.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

He's a horrible starter.  I read a stat a couple days ago that also showed that he has given up far more penetrations by opposing players than any other player in the league.  He's really only good for creating shots that he won't make.

An interesting point that was made (either in the chat or in the forums...even a game thread) is that Brandon Jennings might be a solid 6th man. Maybe like Lou Williams. Or a Jamal Crawford.

"Not bad" probably means "not toxic" at this juncture, I suppose.

I'd put Gerald Wallace in the toxic category (honestly it could be worse...there might be worse, can't recall off the top of my head).

Josh Smith and Eric Gordon might be a step up. At least they're talented players. Their contracts are crap though.

Brandon Jennings yet another step up since he's "only" 7.5 mil and relatively short.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Apparently I'm the only one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rondo take the deal that is going to be on the table this summer. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
My guess is that the Celtics don't make any big moves (unless a team is suddenly VERY interested in Bass or Green) until next year's trade deadline or offseason. They have the pieces (two first round draft picks, expiring deals in 2015 + 2016, Sullinger, Olynyk, whomever they get this year) to make competitive offers for one, maybe two stars. That would be enough to convince Rondo to stay.

Ideally, Rondo does not demand a full $20 million/year max because that would be ridiculous. I don't think anybody would offer him that though. He'll probably get the 14/15/16/17/18 mil deal. I can live with that because the early part of the deal is still low enough to fit in a couple stars under the cap.

There is some risk involved anytime you let a player hit unrestricted free agency but I feel like Rondo does want to stay if the Celtics are competitive. Whether or not the Celtics can be competitive fast enough is a question, though.

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:52 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think theres a decent chance rondo gets traded next year if Danny cant put together a viable team and get at least an all star to join him.

It makes sense for both parties.

Pierce wouldnt have been on the Celtics as long as he was if we didnt get ray and kg

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:46 AM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
I have always thought Rondo wants to stay in Boston but I have some doubts.  I do think he likes it here and also does not like change.  However he is a savage competitor and might want a better situation faster. 

On WEEI I heard an interview with Jackie M. this week.  She said that in her opinion and her thoughts Rondo might leave for two reasons.  1: Rondo LOVES the bright lights and playing in abigger market could be very desirable and exciting for him.  2: Rondo realizes he is mortal. His recovery from the knee injury drastically increases his win sooner than later mentality. 

I think we should move Rondo before he enters free agency.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Over the first two seasons the Thunder/Sonics had Kevin Durant, they went 43-121.

Clearly, they dropped the ball by hanging on to him.

You're talking about a perennial all star and probable MVP this year vs a glorified Role Player in Rondo. He really isn't that good and people stil hang on to the memories of him vs Philly in the playoffs. If you can get a lotto pick for him in this loaded draft then take it. Rondo isn't worth close to the max nor is he worth the price of what would keep him in Boston. He's an excellent Role Player on a title team such as Chalmers in Miami. Is he better than Mario? Sure but same type of deal only he's excellent defensively and Chalmers can't play D and hits clutch shots. Rondo would be the 4th option on the Heat too.

He is not a max player. Nice player to have but so wasn't Perkins. I liked Perk and the Jeff Green trade was a huge mistake they should have let Perk just expire. Danny did atone for it with the Nets deal. Overall I think the team has potential but they really need to complete blowing it all up and not do it half baked like this year.

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Will not be traded and it would be stupid to trade him for the offers that are out there.
He will get a new contract with the no trade clause and stay here for a while folks,  better get used to the idea.

Explain to me Rondo's motivation in signing a deal to stay here for a while.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain