Author Topic: Two offseason ideas. Do we want fireworks or a building block trade?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
A couple of 'fireworks' offseason ideas based on some stuff I'd be happy to see:

Fourth of July scenario- genuine fireworks/contender offseason

Boston sends: 2015 Clippers pick +Keith Bogans
Orlando sends: Aaron Afflalo

Boston sends:
Jarred Sullinger
Jeff Green
Gerald Wallace (or Bass)
2014 Brooklyn first round pick
2016 Brooklyn first round pick (unprotected)

Minnesota sends:
Kevin Love
Gorji Dieng
Ronnie Brewer

Starting line up:
PG Rondo
SG Afflalo
SF draft pick
PF Love
C Dieng

Summary:
I think a lot of people are over estimating what the Wolves will want in return for Love. A lotto pick yeah, but something based around Sully and two first rounders is very feasable.
Now I dunno if Minny gives us Love AND Dieng AND swallows Wallace's deal w/out a 3rd pick ...don't think we always have to send them more than 2 picks but they'd probably demand our unprotected Brooklyn pick as one of those. Danny will guard that like a junk yard dog either way. I believe if we sent them Bass instead of Wallace we'd still have enough cap room for Love anyway.
Dieng is very valuable and we may have to include Olynyk if we want Dieng too.
I think if we got Wiggins here at the SF then our defense would be okay with Love. Love and Jabari Parker on defense would slightly scare me- at least for the first season. Having Afflalo, Dieng and Rondo would be a nice counter though.

Scenario 2; stay young while we wait for 2015 free agent class:

Some creative thinking. We've got our boy in Wiggins, Parker, Exum or Embid. For this idea's sake I'll imagine we have Parker or Wiggins at small forward. We are basically trying to get Lance Stephenson and Asik here to keep Rondo happy enough to re-sign with another star from the 2015 free agency class listed below- to get us into true contender status- but need to move at least Green and/or Bass to to find the cap room for Stephenson and Asik.
Asik will be roughly 8.3 million against the cap. I'd expect Lance doesn't take less than $11-12 million to leave Indiana.
Some 2015 free agents:
Rondo
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Klay Thompson
Brook Lopez
Marc Gasol
Paul Millsap

Trades/moves

Boston sends:
Jeff Green
2015 Clippers 2nd rounder (2016 ?)
Indiana sends:
Lance Stephenson S+T @ $11.5 million per year

Boston sends:
Brandon Bass
Keith Bogans
2016 Sacramento 2nd round pick
Houston sends:
Omer Asik

Starting 5:
Rondo
Lance Stephenson
2014 lotto pick
Sully
Asik

It's a gamble and you'd be crossing your fingers that Lance continues his rapid development and makes that leap to an All Star next season. Rondo obviously has to re-sign, but Asik and Lance are both candidates to be on that upper level NBA status. They don't get us over the line but they are perfect complementary guys around Rondo and Love or Rondo and our 2014 lotto pick at SF.

Killing time over Easter and thinking of ways to keep us young whilst building towards a team with multiple All Star level guys.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Personally I think the best strategy is to be patient and develop young pieces, while looking out for value moves on the trade market and free agency.

I think determining the plan for Rajon Rondo is paramount, though.  If the team isn't likely to be in a position to convince him to stick around, he needs to be traded this summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A couple of 'fireworks' offseason ideas based on some stuff I'd be happy to see:

Fourth of July scenario- genuine fireworks/contender offseason

Boston sends: 2015 Clippers pick +Keith Bogans
Orlando sends: Aaron Afflalo

Boston sends:
Jarred Sullinger
Jeff Green
Gerald Wallace (or Bass)
2014 Brooklyn first round pick
2016 Brooklyn first round pick (unprotected)

Minnesota sends:
Kevin Love
Gorji Dieng
Ronnie Brewer

Starting line up:
PG Rondo
SG Afflalo
SF draft pick
PF Love
C Dieng

love the first deal but Orlando wouldn't do it.

second deal -- make that 2016 pick the lesser of the Brooklyn and C's picks that year.  no way I would trade away a future unprotected first rounder.   Dieng hasn't shown enough to consider him more than a backup at best right now

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo
Afflalo
Wiggins
Love
Dieng

With Bradley, Olynyk, and TJ Warren coming off the bench . . .

Sign me up. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson