Author Topic: Coin Flip Results: Celtics get 5th Slot & 17th pick UPDATED  (Read 37130 times)

Re: Coin Flip Results: Celtics get 5th Slot & 17th pick UPDATED
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Anyone think if we end up with #6 a team would trade their top 3 pick for Rondo and our pick?

Jabari is going to be the next Pierce I can just feel it. The attitude, the skills, everything. If the Pistons jumped to the 2nd spot, do you think they'd bite on rondo and our pick if we took jennings back?

« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Anyone think if we end up with #6 a team would trade their top 3 pick for Rondo and our pick?

Jabari is going to be the next Pierce I can just feel it. The attitude, the skills, everything. If the Pistons jumped to the 2nd spot, do you think they'd bite on rondo and our pick if we took jennings back?

If Rondo agreed to an extension, which he won't.

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Luck is luck.  Bad luck in the past does not presage compensatory good luck in the future.

Anyone who wants or doesn't want a certain slot based on how well teams in that slot have done in the lottery in the past are mathematical illiterates who might as well do a rain dance if they want to increase the probability of precipitation.

TP+.  As many an old blackjack player will tell you, the cards have no idea if you've won 10 hands in a row or lost ten hands in row.  They're gonna be the same cards regardless.

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:13 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If you told everyone on this forum before  season the Celtics would end up tied for 4th I'm sure 95% of them would gladly take that.

Context makes people greedy.

Heck, even when we were halfway through the season people would have taken 4th (5th now).

The Lee and J-Craw trade really took the wind out of the team's sails.

« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2014, 12:46:01 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Are people really getting sad over a coin flip when Cs had a chance to control their own draftstiny but played for pride instead.

'pride goes before a fall'

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2014, 12:48:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you told everyone on this forum before  season the Celtics would end up tied for 4th I'm sure 95% of them would gladly take that.

Heck, even when we were halfway through the season people would have taken 4th (5th now).

Am I missing something? If I understand the odds correctly, the Jazz have 1/1000th chance more than us. It's technically 5 th, but in practical sense, still identical.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Am I missing something? If I understand the odds correctly, the Jazz have 1/1000th chance more than us. It's technically 5 th, but in practical sense, still identical.

« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2014, 01:26:17 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Are people really getting sad over a coin flip when Cs had a chance to control their own draftstiny but played for pride instead.

'pride goes before a fall'

From what I see it's the pro-tankers who are sad about the coin flip.

« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Would have had 10% chance at the 4th pick instead of 0% right now, I believe?

Also I think all the odds are kind of "shifted" so this is bumming some people out.

Edit: forget it. Can't do a table. I think the table here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery#Process] applies.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:59:53 AM by pokeKingCurtis »

« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2014, 02:11:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yes, the Jazz have 1 ball more than us -- that's correct. The bottom line is that for the cases we don't win the lottery (which is about 2/3-rds of all outcomes) we just lost one position flat in the draft. That isn't nice.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2014, 03:58:00 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
we'll see how many non tankers are happy when we end up with the fifth pick and the Jazz end up with the 2nd pick.  Great win guys ::)

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
we'll see how many non tankers are happy when we end up with the fifth pick and the Jazz end up with the 2nd pick.  Great win guys ::)

Maybe some of us not actively rooting for losses is the action (or rather inaction) that would in fact ironically lead us to a top 3 pick.

With all the tankers collectively slamming their desks after every win, perhaps an additional tanker would have caused enough of a minor seismic vibration to ever so slightly tilt the lottery machine in such a way that the Lakers would have had the top overall pick, with us getting the eighth pick in the draft.

----

Or the same seismic vibrations could have caused vibrations in Embiid's back that would have rendered him "Oden"...and the Lakers might have had a dynasty with Jabari Parker with us getting a bust.

----

You should be thanking non-tankers for preventing a Laker dynasty.

« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2014, 08:10:28 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I want to ask everyone this question.

If we end up with pick in the 5 to 8 range would you trade it for a pick in the top 5 for next year?

« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
I want to ask everyone this question.

If we end up with pick in the 5 to 8 range would you trade it for a pick in the top 5 for next year?

A bird in the hand is better than...one bird in the bush :P

« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

Well the big thing is we can't pick 4th now. After the flip the Jazz have a 10% chance of picking 4th. We could draft Exum there or have one of the big three fall to us. The chances of us picking 6-8 went up 20% by losing the coin flip.