Author Topic: Coin Flip Results: Celtics get 5th Slot & 17th pick UPDATED  (Read 37206 times)

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
If its not a coin flip how is it done...?

Random computer generators are not random. Coin flip is actually a fairly good option as far as equal odds.

marc Bertrand on felger & mazz said its a drawing of some kind. but they don't actually use a coin.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
So when is it still nobody knows?? :-\
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
In 2003, the tiebreaker drawing was done live on NBA tv on a monday evening. http://www.nba.com/news/tiebreaker_030428.html

they picked out of a basketball shaped basket
someone on here said 4:30 to 5 today potentially.

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
If its not a coin flip how is it done...?

Random computer generators are not random. Coin flip is actually a fairly good option as far as equal odds.

marc Bertrand on felger & mazz said its a drawing of some kind. but they don't actually use a coin.

I kind of wish they'd use ping pong balls in a machine like Powerball does.  Seems like that'd be pretty hard to rig, so I'd be for that.

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I've been looking online for a time frame, but thus far have not been able to find one.

Thanks!!!

I'm excited and nervous.  ;D
rondofan1255..unless I missed something going through this thread (because I am interested, too) I guess no one knows the answer to your question.   ???
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
fwiw, I just read this tweet:

Sean Deveney ‏@SeanDeveney  12m
Apparently, NBA draft "coin flips" (which are not really coin flips) are done, NBA will have a release out shortly. No 4? Dream on @celtics!

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think there is something that gets missed in this discussion and that's that the NBA draft is an irrational perception driven process. It's how a guy like Kwame Brown gets picked #1.

So at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum end up being franchise players or that some already know they are overrated.... The thing that matters is that most think that they are huge talents and the perception is that if you can get one you can present them as franchise changers.

Thus, for a GM like Danny, the value of a top 4 pick is exponential.
Sounds like a lot of hyperbole to me.

Sorry, but people don't 'know' anyone is overrated. They have opinions about how the players will develop. I can randomly generate opinions of all the top players and some of the randomly generated opinions will end up being accurate as their career plays out. That doesn't mean that I 'knew' anything. If we actually look at the analysis out there, it is pretty clear that Parker is a safer pick as he seems like he could easily fit into any team's rotation while Wiggins and Embiid are more risk with much higher potential upsides. Personally, I have reservations about anyone who likes to talk in terms of 'overrated' and 'underrated'. It is a meaningless way to evaluate talent.

Thing is, even many of the greatest players of all time were not all-star level as a rookie. Guys have to develop. College players are young and no where near their prime yet in skill or knowledge. So nothing is guaranteed.

On the other hand, there are clearly better statistical outcomes at different draft positions. It would be ludicrous if someone were to claim that draft position doesn't matter. Tell that to San Antonio or Cleveland. Where would OKC be without high draft picks?

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
fwiw, I just read this tweet:

Sean Deveney ‏@SeanDeveney  12m
Apparently, NBA draft "coin flips" (which are not really coin flips) are done, NBA will have a release out shortly. No 4? Dream on @celtics!

Uh........
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
When is the coin flip, and what are our odds of winning it?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Already happened. Odds are 50/50
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
Apparently, we lost, GD it!

Mark Murphy ‏@Murf56  15s
Per league source: Celtics lost "coin toss" with Utah, will enter lottery in fifth position, with one less combination than the Jazz.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Already happened. Odds are 50/50

Also, we're in two coin flips, though the 2nd one (17th or 18th) means a lot less.

EDIT: Booooooo-urns.  And it's "one fewer" Murphy, you hack.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Minor stomach punch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Minor stomach punch.
I only saw on the first one. What happened with the 17th/18th pick?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No way!!  Maybe this means we'll have better luck on May 20th. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson