Author Topic: Parker will be in the draft  (Read 12072 times)

Re: Parker will be in the draft
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So, LooseCannon, your thoughts?

It's not surprising that he declared for the draft, but I think he was legitimately conflicted and that anyone who said it was a 100% certainty he was going to turn pro was mistaken.

In projecting him, he could be like a non-headcase Michael Beasley or a less selfish Carmelo Anthony.  I don't watch college, so I haven't seen any of his games, but those seem like reasonable projections.  If the Celtics draft him, I could see him starting out the season as a combo forward off the bench while Stevens experiments with him in both roles, with him eventually moving into the starting lineup based on how well he executes on defense.  I think it would be wrong for the Celtics to dump Green before the season to clear playing for Parker, if they get him.

TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
Parker on the floor with K.O. would be something to watch.
It'd be something to watch on both ends of the floor, as both are terrible defenders. Mind you, that isn't exactly the worst issue to have (b/c I think you can teach players to be decent team defenders)

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

On one end.  Probably be more "shield your eyes" on the other.  ;)

Would love to have him here, though I still prefer Wiggins and maybe Embiid.

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I prefer in this order:

1. Parker
2. Wiggins
3. Randle
4. Gordon

3. Randle? Seriously? Before Embiid?

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'd be something to watch on both ends of the floor, as both are terrible defenders. Mind you, that isn't exactly the worst issue to have (b/c I think you can teach players to be decent team defenders)

I'm to willing to deal with it.

This team needs to address offensive concerns a lot more right now than on the defensive end.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Dream scenario, la and boston pick 1 and 2 and we have a new wiggins/parker rivalry for the next 15 years just like pierce and kobe.

I'd MUCH rather the Lakers drop a few spots and pick 8th.  ;D
Agreed, very much agreed.  Screw the Lakers.  hope 2 teams jump ahead of them -- provided the C's are ahead of those 2 teams :)
So your dream scenario is Boston gets #1.... New York gets #2 (goes to Denver... lol)... 3rd pick goes to a team like Sacramento... Lakers end up 8th?

I can get on board with that...

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I am glad he entered. Not only would he be a great player for our team, but he also takes up a slot early on in the draft should we choose 5th-7th.

However, if we do make the jump to pick #3 (I assume with picks 1 and 2 we will take Wiggins/Embiid), do you think there is any chance DA chooses Exum over Parker? I know there were reports earlier in the year about the Cs being strong proponents of Exum, but that could also just be the Cs flexing their muscles over their international scouting.

There have been rumors at different points of the season that Danny likes Parker, likes Wiggins, likes Exum, likes Randle.  Probably means he really likes Embiid!!

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Not sure Embiid is third. He has bust written all over him.

Based on what?

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline Afam

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Not a surprise. I expected him to declare all along. Now let's how well his skills set translates from the NCAA to the NBA. I hope we get a top 3 pick so we could have the chance to draft either him or Wiggins.

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If we got Parker we could probably do a Green for Asik deal...

But with Asik at C, what would that mean for Sully and Oly's future... seems we need another trade eventually.

Well, one could be the starting PF and the other could be a PF/C off the bench.  Maybe one of them can get good enough to be the centerpiece young talent sent out for an established all-star caliber wing a year from now.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If we got Parker we could probably do a Green for Asik deal...

But with Asik at C, what would that mean for Sully and Oly's future... seems we need another trade eventually.

Well, one could be the starting PF and the other could be a PF/C off the bench.  Maybe one of them can get good enough to be the centerpiece young talent sent out for an established all-star caliber wing a year from now.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that.

Sullinger and Asik starting with KO first big off the bench.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Dream scenario, la and boston pick 1 and 2 and we have a new wiggins/parker rivalry for the next 15 years just like pierce and kobe.

Agreed, very much agreed.  Screw the Lakers.  hope 2 teams jump ahead of them -- provided the C's are ahead of those 2 teams :)
So your dream scenario is Boston gets #1.... New York gets #2 (goes to Denver... lol)... 3rd pick goes to a team like Sacramento... Lakers end up 8th?

With the added bonus that Philly is punished for one of the most blatent tank jobs in league history with the 5th pick.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Although as an aside... if it's true that the Kings were offering us their unprotected pick + mclemore and filler for Rondo... and that Rondo killed it, because he wouldn't re-sign in Sac... I'd be a little annoyed if Sac's pick ended up in the Top 3.

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Although as an aside... if it's true that the Kings were offering us their unprotected pick + mclemore and filler for Rondo... and that Rondo killed it, because he wouldn't re-sign in Sac... I'd be a little annoyed if Sac's pick ended up in the Top 3.

I see very little reason to believe that rumor was remotely true.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 07:32:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I see very little reason to believe that rumor was remotely true.

Marc Spears reported:

Source said Sacramento offered Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and two picks for Rajon Rondo. Rondo wasn’t interested in re-signing with Sacramento.

The Kings are in the market for a veteran backup point guard who pushes the ball, a source said.

Later...

Source said Kings and C's discussed a deal involving Isaiah Thomas, Ben McLemore and a pick for Rajon Rondo, but Rondo wasn't interested in re-signing with Sacramento and the Kings strongly value McLemore.

I was alone on this, but here was why I thought this had legitimacy at the time...

How does one come to the revelation that Rondo is not interested in re-signing with Sacramento unless the trade discussions are far enough along that Rondo (and his agent) had been approached with it?   I couldn't wrap my mind around the logic of it.  How does that information come out?  I saw a few explanations:

#1 - THe trade was discussed.  Danny wanted to go through with it.  Kings wanted to go through with it pending a Rondo extension.  Rondo was contacted... he refused to re-sign.  So this is essentially what happened the first time around when Boston convinced the Wolves to trade them KG, but KG refused to sign an extension.. they then traded for Ray and re-approached the trade with Minny.   This seems like the most likely scenario.

#2 - Marc Spears got wind of trade discussions, contacted Rondo's agent for comment... agent said Rondo wouldn't resign... story was reported.  I guess that's somewhat plausible.

#3 - Spears made it up.  I find this very unlikely.

Is there an alternative explanation?  How exactly does the info that "Rondo will not re-sign in Sacramento" come to light if the trade wasn't close to happening?  Teams discuss random trades all the time...   If we call up OKC to get a feeler on an unlikely Kevin Durant trade... it's not like OKC will immediately ask Durant if he has interest in signing an extension in Boston.   That discussion doesn't come up unless both parties are far enough down the rabbit hole.