Poll

Off-season Moves. This season or next season?

This season
3 (100%)
Next season
0 (0%)
We're building from the draft
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."  (Read 5283 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I know this is going to sound like hyperbole, but I would rather have Gerald Wallace right now than Josh Smith.  Neither can shoot, both are horribly overpaid, but Wallace has a better attitude and his deal expires way sooner.  Plus, if we draft Wiggins, I think Wallace would be an excellent mentor for him.  They have similar games in a way and I like the way that Wallace competes.  If our team starts winning games, I think Wallace could make a good energy guy if he's getting passes from Rondo.

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've convinced myself that next year's Opening Night starting lineup will be Rondo, Bradley, Green, Josh Smith, and Omer Asik, with Sully, KO, and a highly touted rookie (among others) off the bench.

Almost no shooting in that starting lineup. Rondo and asik likely only work if the other three players can provide spacing. Bradley green and smith certainly can't shoot it like ray paul and kg.

When you say "shooting," do you mean from three-point land? Because Bradley approached 40% this year, and Green, while on a down year, still hit at 35%. Even Rondo had a career year from 3 this year, showing noticeable improvement. You can also sub in KO for Asik when an additional shooter is needed.

You're still missing that third shooter for spacing. Smith and asik should eat up the minutes at the four and five. I think one of the attractive things about sully is his improvement from three. Don't think celtics management prefers smith over sully at PF of the future.

I don't disagree with you on that last point, actually. I just wonder whether Sully is ready for primetime next season, 30+ minutes a night, night in, night out.

I think there still would be plenty of minutes available for Sully at either frontcourt spot (given certain conditions at C). Likewise, given certain matchups, Smith could slide to the 3 in sets, allowing Sullinger time at the 4.

I know this is going to sound like hyperbole, but I would rather have Gerald Wallace right now than Josh Smith.  Neither can shoot, both are horribly overpaid, but Wallace has a better attitude and his deal expires way sooner.  Plus, if we draft Wiggins, I think Wallace would be an excellent mentor for him.  They have similar games in a way and I like the way that Wallace competes.  If our team starts winning games, I think Wallace could make a good energy guy if he's getting passes from Rondo.

Actually, I don't think that's hyperbolic talk at all. If Wiggins (or Parker) does land in the Celtics' lap, then I'd do something completely different with the assets at Ainge's disposal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Paul Millsap became available because the Hawks decided to go into a full-scale rebuild, I could see a Rondo/Bradley/Green/Millsap/Asik lineup working if you could get a solid wing who could be a decent bench scorer like a poor man's Jamal Crawford.

After taking 113 three-point attempts over 7 seasons, Millsap exploded for 212 this season and made a respectable 35.8% of them.  There were reports that Ainge was interested in Millsap last off-season and I think it's possible that Ainge would have considered not making the Garnett/Pierce trade if Rondo's injury was less severe and he could have brought in Millsap.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Milsap would be a great pickup -- I don't think that ATL gives up on him before seeing a full season of a mostly helpful Horford + Milsap, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not to mention that Wallace is a much better passer than Smith, and possesses a much higher BBIQ, even if his skills are diminished.

I don't often like to disparage players outright, but I think Josh Smith has proven that he's just not a great, or even a particularly good, basketball player.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Not to mention that Wallace is a much better passer than Smith, and possesses a much higher BBIQ, even if his skills are diminished.

I don't often like to disparage players outright, but I think Josh Smith has proven that he's just not a great, or even a particularly good, basketball player.
agree on Wallace.  he's only got 2 years left hopefully making him movable after next year.  he still plays with effort (doesn't play great, but at least with effort) and that would hopefully be a good influence on whomever we pick up in the draft. 

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Milsap would be a great pickup -- I don't think that ATL gives up on him before seeing a full season of a mostly helpful Horford + Milsap, though.

Maybe they get some bad news about Horford's recovery or he re-injures himself and is projected to be out for the season, so that the Hawks decide to lose some more for Okafor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »

Offline JJ2525

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think threads (and quotes) like this are much ado about nothing.  For the last 7 years, we've been waiting through each offseason on baited breath, wondering if that was the year that Ainge hit the reset button.  This team just had a season in which they won 25 games.  Ainge would be crazy not to  be looking to make something happen this summer.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
"Don't think celtics management prefers smith over sully at PF of the future."

I think you're right but at the same time, acquiring Josh Smith may a big reason for making Rondo re-sign here.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If so much depends on where we land in the draft, why haven't you get Stevens to get with the program?  I can't believe we had the 3rd spot and we blew it. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Whether in free agency or trades, I pretty much see one or two of these guys on the roster next year in order to 'make something happen' :

Melo
Love
Asik
Hayward

Obviously they've been talked about at will here this year, but ultimately one or two of these men will be Celtics whether you like it or not.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"Don't think celtics management prefers smith over sully at PF of the future."

I think you're right but at the same time, acquiring Josh Smith may a big reason for making Rondo re-sign here.

If getting Josh Smith in greeen is the only thing that'll make Rondo resign here, then let Rondo walk.   I don't want Smith on this team.  People think Jeff Green drives them nuts? Smith will equal or eclipse that frustration.  Not to mention that contract and whatever you're giving up to get him.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:05 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
we'll see soon enough
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Whether in free agency or trades, I pretty much see one or two of these guys on the roster next year in order to 'make something happen' :

Melo
Love
Asik
Hayward

Obviously they've been talked about at will here this year, but ultimately one or two of these men will be Celtics whether you like it or not.

Melo is a free agent.  Love won't agree to an extension unless it's with a legitimate contender.  Asik only makes sense if other moves are certain.   Utah can match any offer to Hayward.  Those are the most likely 1st options for Ainge but the odds are against any of them wearing green next year.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Melo is a free agent.  Love won't agree to an extension unless it's with a legitimate contender.  Asik only makes sense if other moves are certain.   Utah can match any offer to Hayward.  Those are the most likely 1st options for Ainge but the odds are against any of them wearing green next year.

It's very possible that the only way to have a shot at Melo or Love is to make the first move of bringing in a player of the caliber of Asik without a guarantee of another big acquisition to follow.