Poll

Off-season Moves. This season or next season?

This season
3 (100%)
Next season
0 (0%)
We're building from the draft
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."  (Read 5287 times)

Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
A little bit of a sensational headline :D

But here are his quotes:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2032447-celtics-gm-danny-ainge-says-team-could-trade-for-all-star-during-offseason

So, who's pumped for this summer? Or does nothing happen?

Gotta take into the account the fact that this summer is an important one because there is a pretty good draft and there is potential for blockbuster trades to happen based on the draft, but next summer is equally as good since there will be a lot of talent in the free agent market.

Re: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I don't think there's any trades that Danny can make to pull off an automatic rebuild this time. There's no Kevin Garnett's available. I don't think the other Kevin is a bad player at all, but he's not KG level of impact, either.

Any and all fireworks will have to come from the draft. Hopefully it doesn't rain lottery night.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've convinced myself that next year's Opening Night starting lineup will be Rondo, Bradley, Green, Josh Smith, and Omer Asik, with Sully, KO, and a highly touted rookie (among others) off the bench.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to recall Danny saying that he felt to win now you had to put together a a 2004 Detroit pistons type team due to the lack of available franchise players.

Ainge could potentially add three to four guys, so all star caliber players but not perennial all stars, to the team of this ilk. Guys on the josh smith, Rudy gay, milsap, big AL level. That's essentially what the pacers and spurs are made up of at this point.

Adding 3 guys like this to rondo and green is not unimaginable.

Trade exception
Bass expiring with fillers and picks
Bogans and other non guaranteeds
Wallace and picks
Green for an upgrade

Could do all this without moving our lotto pick or you could package the lotto pick for a bigger fish.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I've convinced myself that next year's Opening Night starting lineup will be Rondo, Bradley, Green, Josh Smith, and Omer Asik, with Sully, KO, and a highly touted rookie (among others) off the bench.

Almost no shooting in that starting lineup. Rondo and asik likely only work if the other three players can provide spacing. Bradley green and smith certainly can't shoot it like ray paul and kg.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That wouldn't be bad, but if we are taking on Josh Smith's contract they better take on Gerald Wallace and even then i'm not sure I want to be stuck with his huge contract (even though I was a big Josh Smith fan.

Although that would be fun, I think we probably do all we can to get young and have as much cap space as possible for 2015.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Almost no shooting in that starting lineup. Rondo and asik likely only work if the other three players can provide spacing. Bradley green and smith certainly can't shoot it like ray paul and kg.

When you say "shooting," do you mean from three-point land? Because Bradley approached 40% this year, and Green, while on a down year, still hit at 35%. Even Rondo had a career year from 3 this year, showing noticeable improvement. You can also sub in KO for Asik when an additional shooter is needed.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'd bet all my tommy points that we never see that horrid shooting line up EVER. Just no shooters for a team run by Rondo. Smoove ain't wearing green ever.

My guess if he does pull off fireworks?
Either 1)
*rondo at PG
* sign lance Stephenson or trade the clippers pick for Aaron Afflalo at SG.
*draft a new SF in Wiggins or Parker, move Green for scraps or dump him.
*keep Sully at PF
*get Asik or Larry Sanders at C- probably Asik with his cap friendly deal.

2)
*rondo at PG
*trade clippers pick for Afflalo or Lance signs.
*draft wiggins or Parker at SF
*trade 2 Brooklyn picks+ Sully+ Wallace+ Green+ for Kevin Love AND
Gorji Dieng and a bench MLE.

Starting line up:
Rondo
Stephenson or Afflalo
Parker/ or pick
Love
Dieng

Young n' nasty...
Dunno if Minny Swallows Wallace's deal w/out our lottery pick replacing a Brooklyn pick but meh...don't think we always have to send them the lotto pick. Maybe replace our unprotected Brooklyn pick with our 2015 first rounder.

That's my dream offseason ...lol
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I'd bet all my tommy points that we never see that horrid shooting line up EVER. Just no shooters for a team run by Rondo. Smoove ain't wearing green ever.

See my post above.

I get that Josh Smith isn't a deadeye shooter from three, I really do. But Lance Stephenson only made 16 more 3s this season, and shot worse from 3 than Bradley did.

The reason I think Asik and Smith are targets is because they're relatively cheap. Getting Kevin Love would pretty much empty the cupboard, and his contract status makes him an iffy investment.

I'd rather get Asik and Smith, and still have enough assets to then make another deal (either an upgrade at SF, or trade Smith and assets for an even better PF).

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

See my post above.

I get that Josh Smith isn't a deadeye shooter from three, I really do. But Lance Stephenson only made 16 more 3s this season, and shot worse from 3 than Bradley did.

The reason I think Asik and Smith are targets is because they're relatively cheap. Getting Kevin Love would pretty much empty the cupboard, and his contract status makes him an iffy investment.

I'd rather get Asik and Smith, and still have enough assets to then make another deal (either an upgrade at SF, or trade Smith and assets for an even better PF).

Well, now you're on the record I guess. Once our draft slot is announced I encourage you to start a thread where folks can stake themselves to a 2014 starting lineup.

I would look forward to that team if only for the 52-47 final scores that make you think you're watching a high school game.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

See my post above.

Well, now you're on the record I guess. Once our draft slot is announced I encourage you to start a thread where folks can stake themselves to a 2014 starting lineup.

I would look forward to that team if only for the 52-47 final scores that make you think you're watching a high school game.

As long as we're winning. That lineup would be terrific defensively.

I actually think that team would manage to score quite well considering the ability to control the boards, block shots, and turn the other team over. Tons of transition opportunities.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

This is why I am not all in for Love or for Melo.  It worries me that neither player will make a big enough impact to winning, and making us a real contender versus how much cap space it will take to have them.  I like Love more than Melo, but even with him I just don't see that championship level, elite level spark.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I have a hard time picturing a feasible Smith trade where Detroit doesn't ask for Green in return.  I think they'd be willing to move him but not as a pure salary dump, they'd want a more conventional 3 in return.  So we can plug Wiggins or Parker into that 3 spot instead  :)

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I have a hard time picturing a feasible Smith trade where Detroit doesn't ask for Green in return.  I think they'd be willing to move him but not as a pure salary dump, they'd want a more conventional 3 in return.  So we can plug Wiggins or Parker into that 3 spot instead  :)

Yeah. It really depends on how much the new GM wants to undo the Smith signing.

In my scenario, it'd be Wallace and draft picks (the #18 and another protected pick down the line). If Detroit ends up giving up their 2014 1st to Charlotte, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

When you say "shooting," do you mean from three-point land? Because Bradley approached 40% this year, and Green, while on a down year, still hit at 35%. Even Rondo had a career year from 3 this year, showing noticeable improvement. You can also sub in KO for Asik when an additional shooter is needed.

You're still missing that third shooter for spacing. Smith and asik should eat up the minutes at the four and five. I think one of the attractive things about sully is his improvement from three. Don't think celtics management prefers smith over sully at PF of the future.