Poll

Off-season Moves. This season or next season?

This season
3 (100%)
Next season
0 (0%)
We're building from the draft
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."  (Read 5288 times)

Re: Danny Ainge: "I'm looking to make something happen."
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
My guess is Danny's going after K-Love if we finish outside the top 3. He'll try to entice Minny by dangling our pick (4-8), Sullinger, Bass (expiring) and Bogans (there to make salaries match, but Minny can just waive him). 

Then he'll try, I'm guessing, to try to get Asik using the trade exception from the Pierce deal, along with one of our picks next year, and possibly Joel Anthony.

That would leave us with something like..

Rondo/ Pressey
Bradley/ Stauskas
Green/ Wallace
Love/ Humphries
Asik/ Olynyk

Not a bad team, could compete for the 3 seed, but won't contend for a title.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Isn't he always looking to make something happen.

I expect that the team will look quite different heading into next season, but that it will still be a couple moves -- and a year or two of development -- away from challenging the better teams i the league.

There is no quick fix!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
My guess is Danny's going after K-Love if we finish outside the top 3. He'll try to entice Minny by dangling our pick (4-8), Sullinger, Bass (expiring) and Bogans (there to make salaries match, but Minny can just waive him). 

Then he'll try, I'm guessing, to try to get Asik using the trade exception from the Pierce deal, along with one of our picks next year, and possibly Joel Anthony.

That would leave us with something like..

Rondo/ Pressey
Bradley/ Stauskas
Green/ Wallace
Love/ Humphries
Asik/ Olynyk

Not a bad team, could compete for the 3 seed, but won't contend for a title.

I could live with this. I am not a huge Love or Asik fan, but realize that if we are going to take advantage of Rondo (and to some extent, Green), then we need to bring in a bonafide all-star and 'rim protector'.

Simply put, there is nobody of KGs caliber or [ho-hum] 26ppg best ever 3pt shooters available this time around; however, I would be more in favor of emptying the cupboard for Carmelo and Chandler if given the choice of a quick rebuild.

Edit: btw, to bring in Asik with the trade exception, we can only include picks, not other players (Anthony was included as a possibly option in your post).

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Whether in free agency or trades, I pretty much see one or two of these guys on the roster next year in order to 'make something happen' :

Melo
Love
Asik
Hayward

Obviously they've been talked about at will here this year, but ultimately one or two of these men will be Celtics whether you like it or not.

Melo is a free agent.  Love won't agree to an extension unless it's with a legitimate contender.  Asik only makes sense if other moves are certain.   Utah can match any offer to Hayward.  Those are the most likely 1st options for Ainge but the odds are against any of them wearing green next year.

Mike

The most likely candidate is Melo.  The others all depend on their current team & are pretty much out of Ainge's control.

You have the best recruiter if Melo is who you want.  Rajon Rondo.