Author Topic: What about Marcus Smart?  (Read 7417 times)

Re: What about Marcus Smart?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So nobody has a concern about his 42 fg shooting per?

Too inconsistent

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If Wiggins/Parker (if he comes out)/Embiid/Exum are off the board, I'd take Smart in a heartbeat.  Certainly over Gordon & Vonleh.  I like Randle but he's at a position that the C's already have filled.

I might even be comfortable with Smart over Exum.  I'm not sure what Smart's ceiling is but I think his NBA bust potential is pretty low.  Exum is just a big unknown to me.
Like I said before, if we draft Smart, this will have been a very successful tank job. He's the kind of player who's impact will be pretty immediate. I'd also take him over Randle, Gordon and Vonleh.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not as a PG but let him go back to SG. He only started playing PG when he got to OK State. I see another Dwayne Wade. I love his super aggressive style and his attacking nature. We would need an outside shooting SF because of outside shooting issues but I think Rondo and Smart would be an awesome backcourt.
this is the primary reason NOT to take him.  call me crazy or old-fashioned but I think a shooting guard should be able to shoot.

I'm with you on this. We need a 2 who's not just a decent shooter but a serious threat every time he steps on the floor.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Smart is what happens to kids when they decide to go back and every pundit in the world gets a 2nd full season to over analyze a talent...A weakness becomes the end all be all for someone who's not even old enough to drink a beer.

I especially am entertained by the thought that Smart is a "punk" or "headcase" because he reacted to a guy in the stands that he thought used a racial slur towards him...Not to excuse his actions that night, but that's ONE incident and it somehow stands for what the kid is all about?  As if we are all defined by ONE mistake we made at 20.  Instead of giving him credit on how he handled the situation immediately following the incident, coming back like a man on a mission and leading Oklahoma St. to the tourney when everyone pretty much considered them dead and buried, people still question his maturity and even name call.

Some also act like Smart's rough shooting is a weakness that is any different than all the other weaknesses that exist within all of these kids in this draft....Let's take a look:

1) Wiggins - Lack of a killer instinct/aggression....
2) Embiid - Health
3) Parker - Defense...defense so bad he was subbed for in the final minutes of a Tourney game!
4) Exum - Lack of competition in Australia & shooting questions
5) Randle - Wingspan
6) Vonleh - Lack of awareness on Defense....Very raw on offense
7) Gordon - FT line & Shooting overall...

I digress...

I've always liked Smart's game...He's a talented kid who, based on his entire history, is a good guy with a level head with great work ethic.  He's a leader on the floor who actually cares...He can defend, handle and has more than enough athleticism.

I know he's a couple of inches shorter, but he reminds me of Tyreke Evans...I'd be fine with the Celtics drafting Smart if they fell between 5-8....

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Great post ^
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Great post ^

Agreed.

A few things:

1.  The point about over-analyzing weaknesses is well taken.  I think Smart will benefit a LOT from the much more open nature of the NBA game (as most ball-dominant guards do).  The incident in the stands w/ Smart doesn't bother me at all.  I love Smart's fiery, passionate attitude.  Sometimes it gets expressed in counter-productive ways, but that's okay.  I'll take 5 Marcus Smarts on my team for every Jeff Green (i.e. seems like it's all the same to him whether the team wins or loses). 

2. I think the Celtics could really use an emotional leader on the floor, which is a big part of why I like the idea of drafting Smart.  Rondo will perhaps fill that role, but I'm just not convinced he's here long term, because I think this rebuild is going to last beyond this next season and Rondo wants to start winning meaningful games before his 30th birthday.

2. I see the Tyreke comparison, although Tyreke's never been considered a great defender by any means, and defense is one of Smart's main strengths.  Perhaps we could consider him something of a cross between Tyreke and our own Avery Bradley.  Sounds good to me.  For what it's worth, Ainge was reported to LOVE Tyreke before the 2009 draft.  I think Smart makes a lot of sense for the Celtics.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
If we are at 8 and smart is on the board, then magic call with affalo and there second first round pick do you do the deal? If it anywhere from 9-16 I would definatly do it then take a few more high upside guys at their pick and our second first.
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we are at 8 and smart is on the board, then magic call with affalo and there second first round pick do you do the deal?

Not a chance.  Marcus Smart has real star potential.  Afflalo peaked this year as the number one option on a bad team devoid of shot-takers.  I like his game, but I don't rate him too much higher than Jeff Green.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I love the idea to trade back to #3 and #12 if we had 1 and 17.

Quite a big "if".  And I'd only do it if I knew we'd still get Embiid at 3.  Otherwise I'd hang onto the 1 and draft him.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 02:20:28 AM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
It's "said around" that Danny doesn't like Smart. I like him. I like Exum way more (Danny also likes him).
It's going to be interesting to me to see how those guys careers go and test my observational skills against the Danny's.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think Smart would be great if we wound up with, say, pick #5 or 6.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not as a PG but let him go back to SG. He only started playing PG when he got to OK State. I see another Dwayne Wade. I love his super aggressive style and his attacking nature. We would need an outside shooting SF because of outside shooting issues but I think Rondo and Smart would be an awesome backcourt.
this is the primary reason NOT to take him.  call me crazy or old-fashioned but I think a shooting guard should be able to shoot. 

If the C's do end up drafting Smart I would anticipate they're doing so for another team.  Actually, I think anyone outside of the top 4 prospects are likely to be tradebait.

Pat Riely had the same concerns about D Wade, but took a chance on him anyway.  I think that decision paid off ok.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm with you on this. We need a 2 who's not just a decent shooter but a serious threat every time he steps on the floor.
Well, we need a 2 who can shoot, pass, break people off the dribble, score, rebound, play the passing lanes, shut people down... but then again, this is less about what we need, and more about what we can get from this draft in particular.

I do think any player should be able to shoot (which probably makes me more old-fashioned than most here). But then again, you can make a case against picking any of the top prospects.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One thing I like about Smart, is that is he has a muscular NBA ready body.   The kid is built like a tank and won't have to develop that part.   I have concerns about his shot and temper though.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I rather have Smart than Exum
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin