Author Topic: What about Marcus Smart?  (Read 7426 times)

What about Marcus Smart?
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Not as a PG but let him go back to SG. He only started playing PG when he got to OK State. I see another Dwayne Wade. I love his super aggressive style and his attacking nature. We would need an outside shooting SF because of outside shooting issues but I think Rondo and Smart would be an awesome backcourt.

Re: What about Marcus Smart?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If Wiggins/Parker (if he comes out)/Embiid/Exum are off the board, I'd take Smart in a heartbeat.  Certainly over Gordon & Vonleh.  I like Randle but he's at a position that the C's already have filled.

I might even be comfortable with Smart over Exum.  I'm not sure what Smart's ceiling is but I think his NBA bust potential is pretty low.  Exum is just a big unknown to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I saw the Wade comparisons briefly. Then I looked at the numbers - his measurements - and he doesn't have the length Wade has. That will really hinder him as a 2. Wade honestly comes close enough to 6'5. Smart would be lucky to crack 6'3 in shoes.

But then again, Bradley is like 6'2 and is playing SG for us soo..

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Not as a PG but let him go back to SG. He only started playing PG when he got to OK State. I see another Dwayne Wade. I love his super aggressive style and his attacking nature. We would need an outside shooting SF because of outside shooting issues but I think Rondo and Smart would be an awesome backcourt.
this is the primary reason NOT to take him.  call me crazy or old-fashioned but I think a shooting guard should be able to shoot. 

If the C's do end up drafting Smart I would anticipate they're doing so for another team.  Actually, I think anyone outside of the top 4 prospects are likely to be tradebait. 

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
this is the primary reason NOT to take him.  call me crazy or old-fashioned but I think a shooting guard should be able to shoot. 

If the C's do end up drafting Smart I would anticipate they're doing so for another team.  Actually, I think anyone outside of the top 4 prospects are likely to be tradebait.
^^^This^^^
I have seen him falling into the range of where we might land and haven't liked the fit. Ultimately if Danny & Coach Stevens work him out and figure he's our best option than I have no reason to doubt their judgement but I'm hoping we land in the top 3 and don't have to worry about it.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I also like this cat.  He is strong as an ox and can jump like what?!?!

Physically, he's such a mismatch.  Not a franchise player but he would look real nice in Green.

Fiery on both ends of the court...ahem...Jabari?

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Every time I read this thread title, I hear it echoing as it's own answer. What ABOUT Marcus Smart?

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we pick him with our first pick I would be disappointed. If we pick higher than Orlando in the lottery, I can see us moving our two picks for their two picks like 1 and 17 for 3 and 12 then if we can get Smart at 12 I'd get behind that pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I've never understood the Wade comp.  Just because they're aggressive SGs with poor jumpshots?  But Wade is on another plane from Smart as an athlete and ballhandler. 

If I was going to compare Smart to somebody, it would be a slightly less athletic Tony Allen.  Competitive as hell, takes pride in defense and can guard multiple positions, probably don't want either of them creating offense too often at the NBA level.  Smart probably shoots a bit better than TA, so there's that.

Useful player, no doubt.  Pretty high floor.  But the Wade comp implies that this kid should turn into a star, and I just don't see that upside unless he's allowed to stat-stuff on a bad team a la Sactown Tyreke.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:59:51 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If he freakishly fell to 17 or 18, sure. But for the first pick? I'll pass. I either want a center who can protect the rim or a guy who can shoot.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Meh....I have him behind quite of few folks.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I will be curious to see how he measures out this year. I suspect he has grown a bit. Additionally I love his fiery nature. I have seen a bunch of his games here in Texas and he just constantly attacks all over the court. I want some players that are killers. Other than Rondo our team seems pretty laid back.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Good idea, let's draft a SG who can't shoot.   ;D

Is he even an upgrade over Avery Bradley?
Defensively AB is elite.
AB has improved his outside shooting to the point where he is now a threat from medium to long range.
AB's only real weakness is his lack of height and lack of ball handling/passing.

If we end up picking 6th, we have an interesting decision, Smart, Vonleh, or Gordon.  I'd probably be in favor of Vonleh or Gordon over Smart.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I've got him at fourth.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »

Offline Smittymks

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I love the idea to trade back to #3 and #12 if we had 1 and 17.
"My favorite ring? The next one"
TB12