Author Topic: Ainge has done a terrible job getting us low post help.  (Read 5033 times)

Re: Ainge has done a terrible job getting us low post help.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
We've been without a legit center for what 3 years now?  Danny drafts a bust in melo, passes on an available gorgi dieng and plumlee and ships iverson overseas.  I know Fav was our center until he got hurt but I've been really disappointed on how poorly Ainge has attempted to address our obvious rebounding and low post offensive for the past few years.  We have umpteen guards and power forwards but no decent center when there were 2 available in the draft last year.  Maybe that center will come in next years draft, or asik or embid will drop in our laps, but it's disheartening to see this team battle and not have any tough inside help on a weekly basis.  Danny needs to make this a main priority in the next 2-3 years.

The issue isn't low post help. Its not rebounding, and its not post scoring. It is rim protection. Danny has stated that this is a glaring weakness. It is also right now the hardest position to fil in the NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Oh my god. Say LEGIT again. I love it. I can't get enough legitimacy talk. Especially referring to large basketball players.

We had Garnett, by the way. Garnett was an excellent center, scorer, inside helper, and defensive rebounder. Most importantly, he was OH SO LEGITIMATE. He had seven whole feet, including that critical final inch from whence legitimacy pours. AND POUR IT DID! He oozed legitimacy, constantly, all over everything. You couldn't share a table with him at lunch lest you accidentally taste legitimacy in your bologna sandwich. If you used the stairmaster after Kevin Garnett at the gym, you would literally have to mop up all of the legitimacy first or else you'd legitimately slip and break your bum.

So much ink spilled over LEGITIMATE centers. Meantime, Jared Sullinger joins the team and is precisely the low post offensive operator that everyone seemed to be constantly pining for back when we had a quality 7-footer. The problem? NOT LEGIT! Jared Sullinger is entirely illegitimate. Swing and a miss! The legitimacy store only stocks shelves too high for Mr. Sullinger to reach. If only Plumlee, Dieng, or Asik, none of whom have any idea whatsoever how to score in the post by the way, could smuggle some down to him. Woe be to us.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We've been without a legit center for what 3 years now?  Danny drafts a bust in melo, passes on an available gorgi dieng and plumlee and ships iverson overseas.  I know Fav was our center until he got hurt but I've been really disappointed on how poorly Ainge has attempted to address our obvious rebounding and low post offensive for the past few years.  We have umpteen guards and power forwards but no decent center when there were 2 available in the draft last year.  Maybe that center will come in next years draft, or asik or embid will drop in our laps, but it's disheartening to see this team battle and not have any tough inside help on a weekly basis.  Danny needs to make this a main priority in the next 2-3 years.

The issue isn't low post help. Its not rebounding, and its not post scoring. It is rim protection. Danny has stated that this is a glaring weakness. It is also right now the hardest position to fil in the NBA.

It's rebounding as well. If we had another good rebounder Rondo wouldn't have to crash the boards as often and we could run a little more.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Wasn't Ainge the one that drafted Perkins ?  Jefferson ?  Traded for Garnett ?

You're calling that a terrible job ?  You're off the rocker.

Every team has that issue in the league, btw.  There is always trouble finding good Centers in the league.

Let the man rebuild for darn sakes.  It's year 1. He obviously knows the issue as he just stated it in the 2nd to last telecast with Mike Gorman, & he obviously tried for Jordan and Asik this past year.  Again, every team HAS that issue unless they've had a top pick in the past or bought one in free agency.  Its not an easy fix for ANY team in this league.  Too much of a shortage at that position for it to be easy.

He's got plenty of ammo to get his rim protector.  He's brought great big men in before with Perk, Jefferson, & Garnett, I'm not so sure I'd bet against him if I'm you.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Wasn't Ainge the one that drafted Perkins ?  Jefferson ?  Traded for Garnett ?

You're calling that a terrible job ?  You're off the rocker.

Every team has that issue in the league, btw.  There is always trouble finding good Centers in the league.

Let the man rebuild for darn sakes.  It's year 1. He obviously knows the issue as he just stated it in the 2nd to last telecast with Mike Gorman, & he obviously tried for Jordan and Asik this past year.  Again, every team HAS that issue unless they've had a top pick in the past or bought one in free agency.  Its not an easy fix for ANY team in this league.  Too much of a shortage at that position for it to be easy.

He's got plenty of ammo to get his rim protector.  He's brought great big men in before with Perk, Jefferson, & Garnett, I'm not so sure I'd bet against him if I'm you.

aingeforthree, that post was totally legit

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Proof of the  'tanking' that Ainge has engaged in can be directly traced to the lack of a decent defensive center on the roster.  He could have brought in a stopgap -- and probably won a few more games -- but he didn't.  Nor did Anthony get any minutes - and he was probably the closest thing to a passable defensive center on the roster.  This is why their defense sucked.  And its why they have the 5th worst record. 

To me there are no guarantees that he brings someone in next year either.  When this team is finally ready to compete again, they will have a reliable rim protecting 5 on the roster.  Probably not until then unless they wind up drafting someone.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Proof of the  'tanking' that Ainge has engaged in can be directly traced to the lack of a decent defensive center on the roster.  He could have brought in a stopgap -- and probably won a few more games -- but he didn't.  Nor did Anthony get any minutes - and he was probably the closest thing to a passable defensive center on the roster.  This is why their defense sucked.  And its why they have the 5th worst record. 

To me there are no guarantees that he brings someone in next year either.  When this team is finally ready to compete again, they will have a reliable rim protecting 5 on the roster.  Probably not until then unless they wind up drafting someone.

Exactly. TP

I would agree with the title of this thread IF the word "intentionally" were placed between the "has" and the "done".

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Hopefully embiid changes this? There's a chance he could be the C's C next year.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I guess I shoulda clarified a legit center and not just low post help.  Sully is legit no doubt, but we need a center IMO, unless we default to sully/ olynyk
I think people are way to hung up on the word "Center".

We need good big men, whether or not they're labeled C or PF.

That's true, unless we're facing a true center.  Sully is still having nightmares trying to defend Andrew Bynum. 

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jeff Green for Kendrick Perkins? Haha.

I think Danny recognizes the problem. It's hard not to.  He tried with Asik; I expect he will explore that angle again.
I suspect that Ainge didn't make his best offer for Asik...  why jeopardize our Top 8 pick by pushing towards mediocrity too soon?  This season wasn't a season for short-term improvement.

Had we landed Asik it would have been a dirt for a dollar trade.  Something like Bass for Asik would have been too hard not to take... even in a tank year.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I guess I shoulda clarified a legit center and not just low post help.  Sully is legit no doubt, but we need a center IMO, unless we default to sully/ olynyk

That's true, unless we're facing a true center.  Sully is still having nightmares trying to defend Andrew Bynum. 

An aside: I have always felt awkward for being a fan of Kareem as a person.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102

The C's were trying to lose this year, so not getting pieces that fit was probably intentional. In terms of low post help, he's gotten Al Jeff, Perk, KG, PJ, Rasheed, JO, Shaq, Sully, KO, Baby/Bass and others during his tenure. All in all, I hear what you're saying but it's not like it hasn't been a priority.

He shoulda/coulda drafted Noah, DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol in drafts past. The Fab Melo miss sucks, but it's not like Festus or any other C drafted later is lighting up the NBA.

I wanted Gorgui too but I like Kelly also . .. and he happens to be 7 ft. Assuming Danny wants to win next season, we'll see some low post help. Fingers crossed for Embiid. An Embiid, Olynyk, Green front court would be thrilling on both ends of the court.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
If we had a true center who could defend the rim, we'd be nowhere near the top 5 in this years draft. People want to have their cake and eat it too.

Ainge has managed to put us in a position to rebuild rather quickly. He also came close to landing us Deandre Jordan and Omer Asik in the past year, it just didn't work out. timing is everything. He needs to wait for the right deal to come along.

Also by drafting well we increase the value of our assets. For instead Olynyk has more value around the league today and can get a larger return, than if we had just traded that pick last season for a veteran.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

At first I thought I agreed with this, but ultimately I think "center" is an important distinction.

We actually had a decent core of "big men" this season. The thing lacked was legit center size. So, whether you call it "size" or "center", we need it. "Big men" is too broad...

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

At first I thought I agreed with this, but ultimately I think "center" is an important distinction.

We actually had a decent core of "big men" this season. The thing lacked was legit center size. So, whether you call it "size" or "center", we need it. "Big men" is too broad...

Yeah, you need someone who can defend the rim.  Sully needs to be playing PF.  He needs to lose a little weight, which will be good for his back and should help his "stretch" game some.  He needs the bulk to play inside, but if you had an Asik-type next to him, that would be ideal.

KO, he's just not a 5, despite his height.  That's not his game, and he's never going to be a rim protector.

A legit interior defender would do wonders for this team.