Author Topic: Ainge has done a terrible job getting us low post help.  (Read 5036 times)

Ainge has done a terrible job getting us low post help.
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We've been without a legit center for what 3 years now?  Danny drafts a bust in melo, passes on an available gorgi dieng and plumlee and ships iverson overseas.  I know Fav was our center until he got hurt but I've been really disappointed on how poorly Ainge has attempted to address our obvious rebounding and low post offensive for the past few years.  We have umpteen guards and power forwards but no decent center when there were 2 available in the draft last year.  Maybe that center will come in next years draft, or asik or embid will drop in our laps, but it's disheartening to see this team battle and not have any tough inside help on a weekly basis.  Danny needs to make this a main priority in the next 2-3 years.

Re: Ainge has done a terrible job getting us low post help.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dunno Sullinger is a pretty good post player and a rebounder. The fact that you don't mention him at all in your post seems strange. Danny has been drafting for size for several years now. So far Sullinger was a definite hit, Melo a bust, JJJ was also a bust, and Olynyk is still in the air.

Given picks mostly in the low rounds that's not bad. But now the real work begins.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jeff Green for Kendrick Perkins? Haha.

I think Danny recognizes the problem. It's hard not to.  He tried with Asik; I expect he will explore that angle again.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
I guess I shoulda clarified a legit center and not just low post help.  Sully is legit no doubt, but we need a center IMO, unless we default to sully/ olynyk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I guess I shoulda clarified a legit center and not just low post help.  Sully is legit no doubt, but we need a center IMO, unless we default to sully/ olynyk
I think people are way to hung up on the word "Center".

We need good big men, whether or not they're labeled C or PF.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We need a good center, and by "good center" I mean someone who can anchor the defense.  As much as I like Sully and Klynyk, neither of them is that guy.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

well don't we have two of them in Kelly and sully?  And were still gettin hosed on the boards.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

well don't we have two of them in Kelly and sully?  And were still gettin hosed on the boards.
The C's this year was 15th in the league in rebounding at 50.1 TRB, we slightly out rebounded our opponents.

While we did it with below average DRB and well above average ORB we certainly didn't get hosed on the boards this year.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
We need a good center, and by "good center" I mean someone who can anchor the defense.  As much as I like Sully and Klynyk, neither of them is that guy.

I agree. They need a long defensive big to pair with KO, IMO. Though having such may have just let them skate to mediocrity and made it harder to give Sullynk minutes. I'd be shocked if Danny doesn't end up with one of Embiid, Nurkic, Ashik or Sanders or the like after this summer. I think Sully may go in order to bring a vet rim-protecting center in.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
off the top of my head id say half the teams in the league are looking for low post help. doesn't mean they should jump at every C/PF that becomes available. which I don't think the Celtics have done, they've taken chances on guys but never sold the house to fill the role. we'll get the big we need eventually, no need to panic.

Detroit has 2 decent PF/C's that can play C but they still suck. so filling this need isn't answer to everyone's problems. obviously Detroit has problems in general with the way the team was constituted but the point i'm trying to make is even if we had Dwight or noah this team while better still wouldn't be a contender. we need to find pierce's replacement and go from there. if you don't have 2 - 3 stars on your team these days then your just fodder for the teams that do. 

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
While we did it with below average DRB and well above average ORB we certainly didn't get hosed on the boards this year.

So people have numbers to look at:

The Celtics were 7th in ORB% at 27.4%.  League average was 25.5%.  Non-playoff teams Sacramento, Detroit, and Minnesota were among the teams better than the Celtics.

The Celtics were 19th in DRB% at 74.2%.  League average was 74.5%.  There were ten teams between 74.0% and 75%.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'd love to see them get a legit center that can rebound and block shots.

It would have been great if they nabbed DeAndre Jordan last summer but that didn't work out.

My number 1 option would be to get Embiid.

Option 2, if they don't get Embiid would be to make space to offer Gortat around 9-11 million a year.  He's helped Washington get to the playoffs and would be a perfect anchor to the defense.  He's an offensive threat and is young enough to be part of the core for the next 5 years.

Option 3 - if they get in the top 3 but get Jabari Parker, try to trade him for Andre Drummond, LaMarcus Aldridge, Big Al or Demarcus Cousins.  To get Aldridge or Al you'ld have to throw in some more assets or contracts to make the money match.  Same with Kevin Love(not a center but it's Kevin Love)

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
rebounding and low post offensive
decent center
tough inside help

How many guys like this are in the league, though? And of those, how many could actually be available via trade?

Sounds like you're describing a guy who, by the nature of his skill set (physical, skilled offensive low-post game, tough interior defender and rebounder), might be an all-star.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
double post
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
We've been without a legit center for what 3 years now?

Kevin Garnett was one of the better centers in the league in 2012 and 2013.