Author Topic: Draft Night Deal with Minnesota  (Read 2820 times)

Draft Night Deal with Minnesota
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Big Draft Night deal
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mg5f7qy

Celts get:
Kevin Love (contingent upon extension.)
Kevin Martin
Nikola Pekovic

TWolves get:
Jeff Green
Jared Sullinger
Keith Bogans (non guaranteed deal)
Kelly Olynyk
Brandon Bass expiring deal
Celtics 2014 1st rounder
Brooklyn 2016 1st rounder

Celts go back to win now mode. TWolves go back in the toilet.....err I mean get back assets for their best players such as young players, cap relief, expiring contracts and draft picks.

Also, this just occured to me.

If Love hits FA in 2015, good chance he goes to the Lakers.

Wouldn't Minny want to avoid him going to another Western team by dealing him to Boston?

It probably doesn't matter because there's a better chance of seeing flying elephants out your window right now than of Minny ever being competitive again.

Re: Draft Night Deal with Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not sure why Minny would trade their three best players for that pile. I think it would be hard enough convincing the Wolves to take a package of Sully, Green, Olynk, Bass as a cap filler and those two firsts for Love. Adding Martin and Pek? Not a chance.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:54:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Not sure why Minny would trade their three best players for that pile. I think it would be hard enough convincing the Wolves to take a package of Sully, Green, Olynk, Bass as a cap filler and those two firsts for Love. Adding Martin and Pek? Not a chance.

To help the Celtics, of course!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Love can't sign an extension in a draft day deal, because he has two years left on his contract (one of which is a player option), and extend-and-trades can only be for three years, including the year he was traded (which would count for this year).  Best you can hope to do is get him to waive his option for 2015-2016.  But it's silly for him to do that, since his option pays him $16 million, and the first year of a new deal will probably pay him $18 million.

If you want to take a risk on Love, you have to put together a good enough team so that he wants to stay after one year.

However, LA isn't a given if they use their cap room this year on long-term deals.  They might not leave themselves with the room to sign Love, or even have the assets for a sign-and-trade.  I think we have a fine chance to get him in 2015 if the Lakers splurge in this summer.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

To help the Celtics, of course!

Oh right! Well since you put it that way I am totally on board with this deal.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
hoo ray another kevin love trade thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can vaguely imagine Minny doing this if we get the #1 pick this year and include a least 2 more future first rounders.

However, why would Boston do it?

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless
2nd first rounder this year

Is that really worth it?

Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I can vaguely imagine Minny doing this if we get the #1 pick this year and include a least 2 more future first rounders.

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless

Is that really worth it?

Mike

Yes. That is a far better team than one with Sullinger, Green, Olynyk and a series of kids from college.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless

Is that really worth it?

Mike

Yes. That is a far better team than one with Sullinger, Green, Olynyk and a series of kids from college.
no way minnie goes for that deal as originally proposed.  now that you've shown the projected roster, I have to wonder why we'd to it as well.  sure we get the more proven players in Love and Martin as well as a real center in Pek but you've gutted the team to have a very limited bench.  the new team is essentially the minnie team with Rondo instead of Rubio.  it's a better team than either current roster but they get bounced in the second round until they can dramatically upgrade from Wallace and and get some better scoring and frontcourt depth off the bench.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless

Is that really worth it?

Mike

no way minnie goes for that deal as originally proposed.  now that you've shown the projected roster, I have to wonder why we'd to it as well.  sure we get the more proven players in Love and Martin as well as a real center in Pek but you've gutted the team to have a very limited bench.  the new team is essentially the minnie team with Rondo instead of Rubio.  it's a better team than either current roster but they get bounced in the second round until they can dramatically upgrade from Wallace and and get some better scoring and frontcourt depth off the bench.

Not only this but its proven that Love and Pek don't really work well together. Pek is a great offensive player. His defense is fairly brutal especially alongside Love. If either one was paired next to a defensive minded big man then they would be adequate in their positions, however, alongside each other hurts them more than helps I think.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless

Is that really worth it?

Mike

Exactly. It's like adding Rondo to the TWolves. They become a 50-win non-contender at best.

Rather roll the dice with youth and slow play this.

I'd love to package some high contract guys along with the #17/18 pick for young talent from a team looking to take the next step.

We are not winning a championship next season. Best course of action is to lay the foundation for the next 8 years. It obviously all depends on what happens in the lottery. If we don't get into the top 3 and Embiid doesn't fall to us because of his back, I'd be fine taking a PG like Exum or Smart and moving Rondo.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Rondo
Martin
Wallace
Love
Pek

Bradley
Hump
Pressey
Bayless

Is that really worth it?

Mike

Exactly. It's like adding Rondo to the TWolves. They become a 50-win non-contender at best.

Rather roll the dice with youth and slow play this.

I'd love to package some high contract guys along with the #17/18 pick for young talent from a team looking to take the next step.

We are not winning a championship next season. Best course of action is to lay the foundation for the next 8 years. It obviously all depends on what happens in the lottery. If we don't get into the top 3 and Embiid doesn't fall to us because of his back, I'd be fine taking a PG like Exum or Smart and moving Rondo.

Bit of an oxy moron. Anyway, I am not willing to buy into a "long-term" plan.

Guess that's where I differ from some.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
This deal seems REALLY far-fetched on paper and probably is.

However, reasons why there's a slim chance Minny would consider this:

If they deal Martin and Pekovic along with Love, they essentially rid themselves of all their long-term deals.

If they end up dealing Love or losing him to FA, then what's the point of having Pekovic or Martin around?

Hence, this makes them really bad so they possibly get a top pick in 2015 plus they move forward with youth, cap space and all that happy horse you know what.

For the Celts, it's all about winning now

I know some don't agree with this philosophy, but this is what Danny did back in 2007 and it worked (2 trips to the finals, one championship, 3 trips to the ECF and 6 straight trips to the playoffs.)

Also, what if there's another NBA lockout in the next few years? (which unfortunately there probably will be considering the rocky relationship between the owners and players as we saw during the last lockout.)

Don't you think that kinda puts a huge wrinkle in a "long-term" rebuilding plan?

Anyway, I make this move.

This puts the Celts right back in the conversation with Miami, Indy and Chicago as one of the top 4 teams in the East. Beyond that, no guarantees, but not like stockpiling youth for many years is guaranteed to win you a title either.

The only drawback to this is obviously it does hamper the Celts cap space but quite frankly, I think the topic and importance of cap space is becoming a bit overused and overrated.

Especially when free agents in general, don't want to come here. Now if you put forth a winning product, players could want to come here for less money (see Miami.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:59:44 AM by gpap »