Author Topic: Kelly is legit  (Read 12551 times)

Re: Kelly is legit
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:57 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Not to be a downer and all, but wait until the C's start contenting. Then we'll see what kind of value Olynyk truly has!

co-signed.

Yup, Kelly is a 6th man , 3rd big in a rotation IMO. He is a pretty average defender at best , and just can't see him ever being a starter on a contending team(unless he has a young shaq next to him).  I like him a lot in the 6th man role where he can provide offense off the bench, but right now he gives up just as many points as he scores . Hell Booker had 20pts tonight in the first half with KO guarding him (also picked up 5 quick fouls) .

Actually Booker did most of his damage when Kelly was off the floor and we went small with Green at the 4.

And since when do you have to be a good defender to be a good starter at the 4?  Look at some of the notoriously weak defenders starting at PF on playoff teams this year: David Lee, Dirk Nowitzki, Z-Bo, Boozer, Josh McRoberts... And even some of the more reputable names are guys on the court for their offensive talent: Paul Pierce playing out of position, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, David West, Aldridge.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:59 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
i've always envisioned KO in a 6th man role. I think he can adequately anchor an offense, and be a terror against bench squads. As a starter on a contending team though, I think his weaknesses will be magnified and his strengths will be underused.
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:20 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
KO's knock for me was he's not physical enough to bang down low for boards but he's proving me wrong. He's been awesome in his first year.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I admittedly avoided most of the games over the past couple months.  I couldn't take the stress.  I so badly wanted us to land a Top 8 pick, I couldn't handle watching the games that I wanted us to lose.  Plus, half the team is a bunch of sitting ducks and ringers, anyways... no sense in watching future former Celtics.

So fill me in on Oly.  His stats over the past two months have been glorious.  Ridiculous shooting percentages in limited minutes.  Past 3 games, he got a boost in minutes and continued to deliver.  Is he exclusively a PF?  A shooter like him doesn't make a lot of sense as a long-term starting C, right?   I've asked before, but is there any situation where starting Oly at SF makes sense?  Wondering what we're going to do with Oly + Sully (both PF's) + our pick (likely another PF).  How can it work?   

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He got 24 points, while getting his 5th foul in the 1st half. That is game right there and it was against a playoff team that was really trying for once.  He was such a great pick, makes me all the happier we got the 17th pick instead of the 18th.  Danny will hopefully work his magic once again.

Can you imagine when calls start going his way?  He will be unstoppable

That's incorrect. He had 3 fouls at the half and picked up fouls 4 & 5 in the 3q. One contesting Beal at the basket the other on a charge that Wall took (replays showed Wall's feet were moving though).

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 05:09:05 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He finished 4th amongst rookies in EFF, but he only averaged 20 minutes per game... Burke, Oladipo and MCW finished ahead of him, but averaged 31+ minutes.   Adjusted to 48 minutes, Oly was better than all of them. 

I only bring up him playing SF, because if he could play SF we could trade Jeff Green for Asik and have Oly - SF, Sully - PF and Asik - C. 

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Wizards were just making layup, after layup, after layup...

We need a much better offense to expect to win with such limited rim protection.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:08 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He finished 4th amongst rookies in EFF, but he only averaged 20 minutes per game... Burke, Oladipo and MCW finished ahead of him, but averaged 31+ minutes.   Adjusted to 48 minutes, Oly was better than all of them. 

I only bring up him playing SF, because if he could play SF we could trade Jeff Green for Asik and have Oly - SF, Sully - PF and Asik - C.

I would give up on the dream of Klynyk at the 3.  He's a natural 4 in the NBA who can also play some center. 

I don't see any point in trying to play him at small forward where his strengths would be minimized and his weaknesses would be magnified. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sully and Olynyk look like a good start to a big man rotation for this team.  C's really need a couple legit centers that can defend and rebound that aren't god-awful on offense.  At least for the starting Center anyways.  Hoping the C's get lucky and land Embiid this year or one of the center prospects expected to be in next year's draft. 

Asik's a fine backup center to target either with a deal this offseason or when he becomes a FA in 2015 but he's just such a wasted space on offense I can't see him as a starter on this team if we are to contend again.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:54 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I love KO, but there isn't a small forward in the league (or the D League for that matter), that he could adequately guard.

I would honestly start him over Sullinger if I had to choose one. KO is a better passer, a better shooter -- and actual threat from 3-point range -- and he does a better job running the floor. He can't outmuscle other 4s down low on defense like Sullinger can, but he surprisingly held his own on the boards, with very similar numbers.

I know it's blasphemous to say -- and KO doesn't have Dirk's athleticism -- but Olynyk has better numbers than Dirk as a rookie, and his per 36 numbers look very similar to Dirk's breakout second season.

I'm concerned about Sullinger's offensive game, which started to look Antoine Walker-like. You can't live with 42.7% shooting from your power forward (and a sinking true shooting percentage of 49.7%)

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love KO, but there isn't a small forward in the league (or the D League for that matter), that he could adequately guard.

I would honestly start him over Sullinger if I had to choose one. KO is a better passer, a better shooter -- and actual threat from 3-point range -- and he does a better job running the floor. He can't outmuscle other 4s down low on defense like Sullinger can, but he surprisingly held his own on the boards, with very similar numbers.

I know it's blasphemous to say -- and KO doesn't have Dirk's athleticism -- but Olynyk has better numbers than Dirk as a rookie, and his per 36 numbers look very similar to Dirk's breakout second season.

I'm concerned about Sullinger's offensive game, which started to look Antoine Walker-like. You can't live with 42.7% shooting from your power forward (and a sinking true shooting percentage of 49.7%)

With so many on here adamant about KO only being a pf, but also being a large piece to our future, I guess the question becomes: what can we realistically expect to receive back in a trade for Sullinger should we decide to trade him?

While I really like both of them and definitely could see them both as part of a very good 3 man rotation at the pf/c spots, neither really should start at anything but pf. If they are both projected starters, one of them probably should go.

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I think you're being uncharitable to Sullinger. The outside shooting was an experiment; in a real basketball season he won't have the green light to shoot threes.

If Sullinger is 100% I think he's clearly the better player. That's a big if, though. Who knows how much Sullinger at 100% we're going to get.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

With so many on here adamant about KO only being a pf, but also being a large piece to our future, I guess the question becomes: what can we realistically expect to receive back in a trade for Sullinger should we decide to trade him?

While I really like both of them and definitely could see them both as part of a very good 3 man rotation at the pf/c spots, neither really should start at anything but pf. If they are both projected starters, one of them probably should go.

Yup.  I've been banging that drum for a while now.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 09:34:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Until he can at least play average defense I will not admit he is legit (although since he was who I wanted before last years draft, I would like him to turn out legit).

Currently on the wings he guards too close and gets blown by, on weak side rotations he is too late and not long enough to make up for it and when guarding in the post he isn't strong enough. These areas need to be improved before he becomes a good rotation player on a playoff caliber team. This offseason will be a big one for him, if he can sharpen his rotations by playing more and improve his body I think he has a very bright future.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I will agree Kelly really came on to end the season.

For those of you comparing sully to KO dont forget sully is actually 1 year younger.

If its DAs plan to keep both as long term celtics I think it will work but KO will have to play the role of super sub much like Taj Gibson does for the bulls. The bulls play a tight rotation with Gibson averaging 29min off the bench, Boozer starts and gets 28 and Noah starts and gets 35min. If the Cs trade for or draft a starting caliber rim protector he could join KO and Sully in a similar 3 man big rotation with all getting about 30min per.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet