Author Topic: Kelly is legit  (Read 12576 times)

Re: Kelly is legit
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:29 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love the 26 & 9 average over the last three games, but I'm sure that is well beyond his peak potential avg.

I think he's so unorthodox with his moves and skill set, that he's going to keep finding ways to score and keep defenders off kilter. Can't wait to see what kind of year he has next season.

Rondo at full health. Sully & Oly buffed out after major physique reconstruction. Some new lotto pick! Another first round talent. Most likely a more matured Bradley. Green & Wallace healthy and ready at the 3. A couple other trades and tweaks to fill in gaps and better balance the roster. I'm optimistic. Mission accomplished on having a lotto season. Whew.

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Not to be a downer and all, but wait until the C's start contenting. Then we'll see what kind of value Olynyk truly has!

co-signed.

These sentiments hit the nail on the head.  I like his game but how did a team with his contributions, big upticks in output from Sullinger and Green and the return of Rondo do so badly this year? Big stats on bad teams just dont convey what a guy can contribute to winning.  Thats what I want to know, not just how he stuffs a stat sheet.

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:48 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Not to be a downer and all, but wait until the C's start contenting. Then we'll see what kind of value Olynyk truly has!

co-signed.

These sentiments hit the nail on the head.  I like his game but how did a team with his contributions, big upticks in output from Sullinger and Green and the return of Rondo do so badly this year? Big stats on bad teams just dont convey what a guy can contribute to winning.  Thats what I want to know, not just how he stuffs a stat sheet.

His plus/minus stats have been superb as well over the course of the last thirty games of the season.  In twenty out of the last thirty games of the season in which Olynyk played, his plus/minus was either positive or 0.

That's an impressive number on a team that went 7 and 23 during that stretch. 

Take last night's game as an example.  We needed him out there, not just so he could get his stats, but the only way to keep the game close was to have Kelly on the floor. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Love the 26 & 9 average over the last three games, but I'm sure that is well beyond his peak potential avg.

I think he's so unorthodox with his moves and skill set, that he's going to keep finding ways to score and keep defenders off kilter. Can't wait to see what kind of year he has next season.

Rondo at full health. Sully & Oly buffed out after major physique reconstruction. Some new lotto pick! Another first round talent. Most likely a more matured Bradley. Green & Wallace healthy and ready at the 3. A couple other trades and tweaks to fill in gaps and better balance the roster. I'm optimistic. Mission accomplished on having a lotto season. Whew.

Above is my dream too, but strongly doubt all of those guys will be returning. Danny Ainge is our GM, don't forget.

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

co-signed.

As few minutes as he was given for most of the year, how can there be any correlation between our wins/losses and KO?

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens

co-signed.

As few minutes as he was given for most of the year, how can there be any correlation between our wins/losses and KO?

There isnt any.  Therefore, what is his value to this team being able to win games?  He looks very promising, but he doesnt fit any traditional roles that make it harder to see where he fits when the team hopefully turns the corner.  Is he the energy guy?  Instant offense?  Will his offensive game be offset by his other deficiencies?  Im not knocking the guy, its just to early to see where he fits in a yet to be determined winning system.

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Perimeter 4 is a pretty well defined role in winning basketball in today's NBA and its one that goes further back than most people think with all the bemoaning of the demise of post play.

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

co-signed.

Co-signed

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

co-signed.

There isnt any.  Therefore, what is his value to this team being able to win games?  He looks very promising, but he doesnt fit any traditional roles that make it harder to see where he fits when the team hopefully turns the corner.  Is he the energy guy?  Instant offense?  Will his offensive game be offset by his other deficiencies?  Im not knocking the guy, its just to early to see where he fits in a yet to be determined winning system.

I see him as our starting power forward.  Put a legit, rim protecting center next to him, with Rondo running the show, and an upgrade at either of the wing positions, and I think we have a nice looking team.

Offensively, he's going to be a difference maker.  Defensively, he needs help. 

Get that help, Danny.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

co-signed.

I see him as our starting power forward.  Put a legit, rim protecting center next to him, with Rondo running the show, and an upgrade at either of the wing positions, and I think we have a nice looking team.

Offensively, he's going to be a difference maker.  Defensively, he needs help. 

Get that help, Danny.

If you like starting power forwards who can't guard a tree, then KO is your man. His offense is nice, but.....And, as far as plus/minus goes, in my opinion one of the most meaningless stats in a world of meaningless stats.

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:31 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
Perimeter 4 is a pretty well defined role in winning basketball in today's NBA and its one that goes further back than most people think with all the bemoaning of the demise of post play.

So Raef LaFrentz then?

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

So Raef LaFrentz then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTIrG1Xn1Jk

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

So Raef LaFrentz then?

I'd take that. Honestly though, I don't see KO as a starter, but 6th/7th man.

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

So Raef LaFrentz then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTIrG1Xn1Jk

TP for the link.  While Olynyk will never be as good as Pettit even if he reaches his ceiling, their games look kinda similar from those clips.

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

So Raef LaFrentz then?

No, no. Young LaFrentz played like a prototypical big, in particular on defense. He kind of just had the ability to shoot 3's, usually from spot up positions. Maybe a decent post game for a time, as well. Don't remember. Celtics LaFrentz was a super watered down version of that.

Kelly plays a lot like a guard, but he's a legitimate 7'0. He can handle and pass from all over the court it seems. He's a weak defender at present, unlike LaFrentz who was very solid to very good as a young player. I think Kelly offers a much more diversified and beneficial offensive game, though. His ability to create offense for himself and others isn't something Raef had, particularly from the perimeter