Author Topic: NCAA have now allowed D-1 Athletes to eat unlimited meals/snacks  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The NCAA Legislative Council took steps Tuesday to make sure Division I student-athletes will be well fed.

The Council decided that athletes, both walk-ons and those on scholarship, can receive unlimited meals and snacks in conjunction with their athletics participation. Previously, student athletes received three meals a day or a food stipend.

The decision, which has been in the works for some time, comes only days after guard Shabazz Napier, in the aftermath of Connecticut's victory in the national championship game, said he often went to bed hungry because he couldn't afford food.

Council chair Mary Mulvenna, associate commissioner of the America East Conference, said Tuesday's decisions underscored the commitment to student-athletes.

"Today we took action to provide meals to student-athletes incidental to participation," said Council chair Mary Mulvenna, associate commissioner of the America East Conference. "I think the end result is right where it needs to be."

The rules will be finalized only after the Division I Board of Directors meets April 24.

The council also voted to:

•Require strength and conditioning coaches to be certified from a nationally accredited certification body.

•Require a school staff member certified in CPR, first aid and arterial external defibrillation to be present at all physical, countable athletic activities.

•Reduce the penalty for a first positive test for street drugs, including marijuana, during championships from a full season to a half season.

•Require football players to rest for at least three hours between practices during the preseason. Film review and team meetings will be allowed during this period.

The adopted proposals are effective Aug. 1, with the exception of the strength and conditioning coach certification requirement. The council members voted to delay until Aug. 1, 2015, to allow coaches time to achieve their certification without their jeopardizing their employment.

I cannot link the ESPN insider article, as my friend sent me the quotes as he has an ESPN insider subscription.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: NCAA have now allowed D-1 Athletes to eat unlimited meals/snacks
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Good. Not a big concession, but still a concession.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good. Not a big concession, but still a concession.

Yeah, and a pretty common sense one.  Athletes who are playing at a semi-pro level are going to need a lot more calories than the normal student.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
just pay the players and get it over with. Everyone else is getting paid.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Yeahhh Shabazz...college lineman all over are rejoicing in your name as they head to the dining hall!
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I find this "accommodation" or "concession" to be somewhat of a joke, somewhat insulting.  The level of greed of the NCAA when we consider the billions of $$ involved in this enterprise is only underscored by this token gesture, as if this is all they need to do to make the legal issue go away.  Not a chance.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Wow, it sure is swell that those NCAA suites are letting the players eat all they want... FOR FREE!!

However, I worry that extra food consumption is going to cut into the $1.67 BILLION that the NCAA makes off of Men's March Madness & football conference TV deals... each year.

The NCAA executives, conference & university Presidents gotta eat to!

2011 — NCAA and ESPN begin a $500 million per year, 14-year multimedia agreement. http://chronicle.com/article/NCAA-Signs-108-Billion-De/65219/

Sum of all ave per-year conference football TV contracts, $1.17 BILLION http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/05/10/2012-ncaa-television-revenue-by-conference/

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I find this "accommodation" or "concession" to be somewhat of a joke, somewhat insulting.  The level of greed of the NCAA when we consider the billions of $$ involved in this enterprise is only underscored by this token gesture, as if this is all they need to do to make the legal issue go away.  Not a chance.

Yeah, it's definitely not a big concession, since most dining halls throw out cooked but unused food anyway.

Still, it's a small step in the right direction for common sense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes