Pick for Love?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
25 (36.2%)
I plead the fifth
6 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Trade for Love ideas (merged)  (Read 51889 times)

Re: Trade for Love ideas (merged)
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Then we will be stuck in mediocrity for another 5 to 6 years and who knows if we will get out of it.

With Kevin Love we get a legit all star who puts up numbers and can take control of a game on the boards and on offense. Pair him with an Asik or a rim protecting type big man then I don't see his defense being an issue.

The Timberwolves have been stuck in mediocrity the entire time they've had Kevin Love.

edit: Great minds, Moranis. TP.
forgot that Melo has led the Knicks to mediocrity as well. 

call me crazy but as good as that team looks on offense on paper, it looks that bad on D on paper as well.  be a lot like the Nuggets and Spurs teams of the 80's --> lots of offense and not much D.  although watching Alex English and George Gervin on offense was a treat.

Imagine how much worse the Wolves would be if they'd been run by James Dolan instead of David Kahn, although I'm not sure how that's relevant to Kevin Love's total inability to make his team better.

All-offense No-defense teams can be a lot of fun -- 7Sol Suns, We Believe Warriors, in fact, most of my favorite teams to watch play like that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Then we will be stuck in mediocrity for another 5 to 6 years and who knows if we will get out of it.

With Kevin Love we get a legit all star who puts up numbers and can take control of a game on the boards and on offense. Pair him with an Asik or a rim protecting type big man then I don't see his defense being an issue.

The Timberwolves have been stuck in mediocrity the entire time they've had Kevin Love.

This whole narrative where you point at Minnesota and say "see, that's how good we'd be" is silly.

You're comparing apples and oranges. 
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
So without making hypotheticals of a rim protector or other Vet pieces Love, Melo, Rondo would attract, people are saying a team of

Rondo
WigginsorParker
Green
Sully
Olynyk

Is less mediocre than a team of say

Rondo
Bradley
Melo
Olynyk
Love

?

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This whole narrative where you point at Minnesota and say "see, that's how good we'd be" is silly.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

No one's saying that we'd be as good/worse/better as Minnesota, just that a team with Kevin Love as it's best player has yet to even reach .500. How is that not a warning sign to anyone else?

I get it -- lots of Celtics fans want Kevin Love. I would wager that a lot of those Celtics fans don't watch many Timberwolves games, look at the numbers and the highlights, and say "yes, this is who my team needs."

And to some degree, that's true, but putting together a KG-like package for him is beyond imbecilic.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
This trade works but Minnesota would probably demand something like our second 2015 1st rounder (Clippers pick). Who says no?

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Wolves definitely say no.

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This great idea is by hondobird33, a new poster to Celticsblog from another topic @ http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=70926.15#msg1663636

All credit goes to him....

Plan:  Boston makes incredibly favorable offer to Minnesota that LA can't match so it's willing to trade Love & goes rebuild shedding older players, expiring contracts, and assets.

Minn. gets BOS 3 1st round picks (2014 BKN #17, 2015 BOS unprotected, & 2018 BOS unprotected) & Sullinger for Love.
Minn. gets 23 yr old Bradley (S&T-$6.5m) & BOS 2015 2nd round pick for 31 yr. old Martin ($6.5m)
Minn. gets BOS 2016 1st round pick for Wallace & $10m 2016 expiring contract (packaged as part of overall trade to match salaries). 
Added Bonus: BOS also gives Minn. Bogans $5m salary can be waived for cap savings.

Salaries match MINN in $24m (Wallace $10m+Bradley-$6.5m+Sullinger $1.5m+Bogans $5m=$23m) for (Love $16m+Martin $6.5m=$22.5m)

Minn. ends up with 4 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, two young players at same positions to replace Love & Martin, cap savings with Bogans $5m waiveable contract, Wallace $10m expiring contract in 16'.

Next Move:  Give HOU Boston's 1st round 2015 LA pick and TPE from Pierce trade for Asik.  This frees up $8.3m for HOU and saves them cash payment of $15m. 

End result is BOS gets superstar in Love, upgrades SG position (6'7" - 19 pts/gm), adds much needed rim protector, and still have still has its own 2014 lottery pick, 2015 1st rd BOS, 2015 PHI 1st rd. or two 2nd rds., 2016 BKN 1st rd., 2017 1st rd, 2017 2nd rd., 2018 BKN 1st rd, and 2018 BOS 2nd rd.

Final Move: Trade Bass & Anthony to contender looking for quality back-up PF and C in return for TPE and/or waiveable contracts.  If needed use PHI 1st rd. or 2 2nd rounds to entice trade partner to take Anthony.

In worst case scenario if BOS gets #8 pick in draft select much needed 3 point scoring in 6'8" McDermott.  Fits into projected salary cap for 2014/2015 season (expected to increase $5 million).
Player                   Salary
Rondo - PG   13m
Martin -SG   6.8m
Green - SF   9.2m
Love - PF   16m
Asik -C   8.3m
McDermott     2m
Faverani   2m
Olynyk   2m
Babb   1m
Pressey   1m
Iverson   2m
Johnson   1m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
D-Leaguer   0.5m
Total   68.3m

In a perfect world I'd try and take Asik off Houston's hands for a little less and keep our pick.
I'd also try and get them to take Jeff Green from us instead and hopefully draft a better player than McDermott.
Rondo
Martin
draftee
Love
Asik

is a decent starting 5 with room to build on/add to if we decide to re-sign Asik at seasons end. Great core for our rookie to work with too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2014, 07:58:03 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I responded in the other thread, but I'll respond here as well since it has a thread of it's own.

Really doubt Minnesota would trade Love to the C's if their lottery pick is not included. Also, not sure why you have Iverson at 2M per year. He'll be much less than that. That's if he's even on the team, something I strongly doubt.

Edit:

And I don't consider acquiring Martin a positive thing. The guy is an atrocious defender and teams attack him so regularly that Adelman was forced to sit him late in games due to his defensive ineptitude.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/05/30/my-6th-annual-nba-no-defense-team-starring-kevin-martin-demarcus-cousins-blake-griffin-and-more/

??My 2013 No-Defense FIRST TEAM

* 2013 No Defense Player of the Year Kevin Martin, Oklahoma City. Consider this a career-achievement award for my pal K-Mart, who becomes the first two-time winner and really could?ve won it all six times, if I wasn?t so determined to spread the wealth.

Why does he get NPDOY this time? It?s not because Martin is any worse on D than he has been his whole career (or much worse than everybody else?s D effort this season), it?s that, fit into the fairly rigorous OKC mindset, Martin is a blatant ole defense outlier.

When Martin was a King, he was part and parcel of that horrendous defensive atmosphere?he was the worst practitioner of Kings shoot-drift-and-check-out-on-D syndrome, but he was absolutely not the only one who constantly let himself get picked and forgot to rotate to slow down penetration.

In his short time with Houston, Martin was a little better?or the scheme hid him better?but he was still bad.

This year, after his trade to the Thunder, it?s the same K-Mart? plopped into a hurrying harrying defense, and he just can?t help but stick out?opponents stop everything in order to get the ball to the player he?s defending, and that guy almost always has a clear path to about 4 baskets in a row.

The peripheral stats are just part of it, and here are some of them:

-OKC?s opponents scored 105.2 points per 100 possessions when Martin was on the floor, 100.9 points per when he was off? that?s a very bad, very telling 3.3-point differential not in Martin?s favor. (Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook were on the negative side, but only barely.)

-Opponents had a 47.8% EFG (counting three-pointers) when he was on the floor, and only 45.9% when he was off.

Basically, the Thunder was an excellent defensive team in the minutes Martin was out of the game, and became a lot worse whenever he played.
Martin is an offensive player?a sixth man for the Thunder, assigned to put up shots and complement Durant and Westbrook. But he?s also a horrendous, horrendous defensive player, who doesn?t fight through picks and often zones out off the ball, leading to more than a few wide open shots when his man cuts to the basket or across the floor.

This wasn?t an unusual year for K-Mart. It?s just the usual Bad D year, and for that, he?s the first two-time winner of the NDOY.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:06:44 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
I responded in the other thread, but I'll respond here as well since it has a thread of it's own.

Really doubt Minnesota would trade Love to the C's if their lottery pick is not included. Also, not sure why you have Iverson at 2M per year. He'll be much less than that. That's if he's even on the team, something I strongly doubt.

Edit:

And I don't consider acquiring Martin a positive thing. The guy is an atrocious defender and teams attack him so regularly that Adelman was forced to sit him late in games due to his defensive ineptitude.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2013/05/30/my-6th-annual-nba-no-defense-team-starring-kevin-martin-demarcus-cousins-blake-griffin-and-more/

??My 2013 No-Defense FIRST TEAM

* 2013 No Defense Player of the Year Kevin Martin, Oklahoma City. Consider this a career-achievement award for my pal K-Mart, who becomes the first two-time winner and really could?ve won it all six times, if I wasn?t so determined to spread the wealth.

Why does he get NPDOY this time? It?s not because Martin is any worse on D than he has been his whole career (or much worse than everybody else?s D effort this season), it?s that, fit into the fairly rigorous OKC mindset, Martin is a blatant ole defense outlier.

When Martin was a King, he was part and parcel of that horrendous defensive atmosphere?he was the worst practitioner of Kings shoot-drift-and-check-out-on-D syndrome, but he was absolutely not the only one who constantly let himself get picked and forgot to rotate to slow down penetration.

In his short time with Houston, Martin was a little better?or the scheme hid him better?but he was still bad.

This year, after his trade to the Thunder, it?s the same K-Mart? plopped into a hurrying harrying defense, and he just can?t help but stick out?opponents stop everything in order to get the ball to the player he?s defending, and that guy almost always has a clear path to about 4 baskets in a row.

The peripheral stats are just part of it, and here are some of them:

-OKC?s opponents scored 105.2 points per 100 possessions when Martin was on the floor, 100.9 points per when he was off? that?s a very bad, very telling 3.3-point differential not in Martin?s favor. (Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook were on the negative side, but only barely.)

-Opponents had a 47.8% EFG (counting three-pointers) when he was on the floor, and only 45.9% when he was off.

Basically, the Thunder was an excellent defensive team in the minutes Martin was out of the game, and became a lot worse whenever he played.
Martin is an offensive player?a sixth man for the Thunder, assigned to put up shots and complement Durant and Westbrook. But he?s also a horrendous, horrendous defensive player, who doesn?t fight through picks and often zones out off the ball, leading to more than a few wide open shots when his man cuts to the basket or across the floor.

This wasn?t an unusual year for K-Mart. It?s just the usual Bad D year, and for that, he?s the first two-time winner of the NDOY.

Yeah I agree he's a terrible defender. I guess if we need some scoring to help K Love then he might help.
We can try and add Lance Stephenson at 10 or 11 million a year and skip out on K Mart but we need someone with decent salary to take back Wallace from us. If they took Wallace we'd had K Martin until 2017 but he's far easier to move than Gerald Wallace.
I'd also ignore Iverson in there, parts like that are adjustable and not a big deal in the scheme of things.
Ignore K Mart and Iverson- focusing on a core of Rondo, Love, Asik and a 2014 lottery pick is pretty good for 2015 free agents to ponder over.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2014, 08:52:38 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Or we could pry Aaron Afflalo instead of K Martin- similar salary, much better overall player.

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think we're overpaying in both deals, which probably means it's doable if Minny's interested in moving Love and he's want to sign an extension here. Also, if I did those deals, I'd rather keep Bass and Anthony for depth than give them away. Were those deals to get under the luxury tax or something? If not, we should hold onto them for a year.

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I defer to someone with better knowledge of the cap but idea of post was that even assuming giving away the most assets and keeping salaries below the projected cap line the following team is very possible (and potentially better if we do more creative deals and get a higher lottery pick).  Looked at it from the trading partner perspective.  Danny could likely do better and we still have plenty of draft picks left.

I agree with previous posts that could sign Colton Iverson for less than $2m and potentially use savings to get Afflalo (or another player) instead of Martin.  My point with getting Martin is from Minnesota's perspective is it helps unload an older player with a younger asset (Bradley) and Celts get better scorer but worst defender.  Although I would want to do it we could give Minnesota our lottery 2014 instead of our other 2014 BKN pick (and use pick for SG): Here is 10 player player playoff rotation:

PG - Rondo/Pressey
SG - Martin or Afflalo/Draft Pick
SF - Green/Johnson
PF - Love/Olynyk
C -  Asik/Faverani

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Bring back PP for the MLE for our sixth man. ;)

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Only way I trade for Love is if he agrees to a long term contract
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=outa6r4

This might need to be a 3 way. Add in Houston.

In addition to the link above the wolves get Houston's first rounder our lotto pick and some other picks from us. Most of the salary they receive expires after this coming year. In the case if Wallace his deal expires at the same time mbah a moute and buddinger do.

Houston dumps salary to make a run at melo.

Boston puts together a team worthy of competing for a title in the east.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14