Pick for Love?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
25 (36.2%)
I plead the fifth
6 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Trade for Love ideas (merged)  (Read 51912 times)

Trade for Love ideas (merged)
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The similarities between Jefferson and Sullinger go beyond their jersey number. Both late-round draft picks and 22 years old at the time, Big Al and Sully respectively averaged near identical numbers per 36 minutes in 2006-07 and 2013-14 (Jefferson: 17.2 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 1.4 apg; Sullinger: 17.3 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 2.1 apg).

Keep in mind, too, that Jefferson had just one year left on his rookie deal, and Sullinger is under control for two more seasons at short money. Other than Rondo, he is easily the C’s most attractive player on the trade market.

With Kris Humphries‘ $12 million salary coming off the books this summer, the Celtics don’t have the equivalent of Theo Ratliff‘s expiring contract to sweeten a Love deal, but they have plenty of young pieces a la Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes and four times as many first-round picks to package around Sullinger.

If Sullinger, Jeff Green or Brandon Bass, Joel Anthony‘s expiring deal and two (or even three) first-round picks sounds too steep, remember that the hardest part of rebuilding in Boston is landing that next big fish, and Love is a heckuva catch. In the end, as Ainge says, it’s always better to be the team trading four quarters for a dollar.

Love, like those cold Minnesota winters, isn’t as much fun all alone. Partners help the seasons pass a little easier, especially one as unselfish as Rondo. Heck, Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck already promised the fireworks. It’s now up to Ainge and Saunders — who like McHale spent some time in Boston — to make the Love connection.

____

Great article, and I agreed with many of the points.

I do think if DA can't convince Kahn to trade us Love, that we may be able to acquire him in the trade deadline.

No matter what anyone says, Love is still a top 7 player in this league. And what makes that even more impressive? Hes only 25.

With the immense plethora of draft picks, I think we can grab someone that can be a huge upgrade at SF.

EDIT:

Here is the link, sorry! I totally forgot to put it down there LOL!
http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/04/15/double-07-kevin-garnett-kevin-love-and-celtics-restoration/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:39:18 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Trade for Love ideas (merged)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sully would have much more trade value if CBS would've played him 34-36 minutes a game.

Very productive player. Shame he didn't get the minutes he needed to boost his trade value. Sully could well have gotten 16-18ppg and 10rpg in 34-36mpg versus the 13ppg and 8rpg he ended up getting in smaller minutes. Sully would've been one of the best trade assets in the league as a young big putting up those other numbers. Wasteful of a great opportunity.

And why? To play Kris Humphries more minutes? To get Bass more playing time? Awful.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
just imagine if we are able to grab him without surrendering our lotto pick this year

Can you imagine, Rondo/(Embiid/Parker/Wiggins)/Love

talk about fast rebuild

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:52 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Kaaaaaaaaaaaahn!!!

What's he got to do with anything OP?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I knew it was you, Monkhouse!

I would like to draw your attention to the Win-Loss comparison between Love and KG. Also, the idea that we might trade more than one first-rounder for Love makes me sad.

On the other hand, banishing Sullinger to the frozen tundra of Minnesota might be worth it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I love to see Love in Celtic green !!! But only if he signs a long term deal
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Kaaaaaaaaaaaahn!!!

What's he got to do with anything OP?

Wishful thinking?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/3/4296498/david-kahn-fired-timberwolves-kevin-love-jonny-flynn

Oops LOL! I keep thinking Kahn still works for T-Wolves...

I knew it was you, Monkhouse!

I would like to draw your attention to the Win-Loss comparison between Love and KG. Also, the idea that we might trade more than one first-rounder for Love makes me sad.

On the other hand, banishing Sullinger to the frozen tundra of Minnesota might be worth it.

The majority of the win/losses in Love's years were due to injuries. Rubio/Love/Pekovic were out many times... I mean there is no excuse, but the T-Wolves also have a terrible bench... And they have had the top 5 worst bench in the league for 3 years now.

I wouldn't mind trading Sullinger, Humphries, our '14 pick, and Nets pick, and one or two second rounders for Love...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Nooooooo thanks on trading our '14 pick.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Sully would have much more trade value if CBS would've played him 34-36 minutes a game.

Very productive player. Shame he didn't get the minutes he needed to boost his trade value. Sully could well have gotten 16-18ppg and 10rpg in 34-36mpg versus the 13ppg and 8rpg he ended up getting in smaller minutes. Sully would've been one of the best trade assets in the league as a young big putting up those other numbers. Wasteful of a great opportunity.

And why? To play Kris Humphries more minutes? To get Bass more playing time? Awful.

Maybe Stevens was in on the tank job and trying to lose a few more games by not playing Sullinger too much.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I've been playing this card all season. I still am on record with the prediction of Love being in Boston next season. Will we overpay? You betcha.

But will a trio of Love/Rondo/(insert third fish here) be better than a bunch of "potential" role players? You betcha.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:57:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've been playing this card all season. I still am on record with the prediction of Love being in Boston next season. Will we overpay? You betcha.

But will a trio of Love/Rondo/(insert third fish here) be better than a bunch of "potential" role players? You betcha.

Boy I sure hope so!

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
KG is significantly more valuable for a championship contender than Love, and Al Jefferson's game was much better than that of Sully.  So I guess it kind of washes out.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Big Draft Night deal
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mg5f7qy

Celts get:
Kevin Love (contingent upon extension.)
Kevin Martin
Nikola Pekovic

TWolves get:
Jeff Green
Jared Sullinger
Keith Bogans (non guaranteed deal)
Kelly Olynyk
Brandon Bass expiring deal
Celtics 2014 1st rounder
Brooklyn 2016 1st rounder

Celts go back to win now mode. TWolves go back in the toilet.....err I mean get back assets for their best players such as young players, cap relief, expiring contracts and draft picks.

Also, this just occured to me.

If Love hits FA in 2015, good chance he goes to the Lakers.

Wouldn't Minny want to avoid him going to another Western team by dealing him to Boston?

It probably doesn't matter because there's a better chance of seeing flying elephants out your window right now than of Minny ever being competitive again.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I honestly think it is more likely that Boston trades Rondo to Minnesota then it is for Minnesota to trade Love to Boston.

EDIT:  Something like Rondo, Clippers pick for Rubio, Budinger, #12 (as a draft day where Minnesota picks for us and then the trade is completed later so Minnesota can actually trade the pick)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip