Author Topic: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone  (Read 23299 times)

Re: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

Green has to go. Trade his butt, Danny.

Wait.  So, because he didn't think of them as equivalent to Pierce or KG, that means he compared them to 'nobody'?

I think it's pretty clear none of those guys are in the same galaxy, let alone the same neighborhood as KG and especially Pierce for drawing the attention of a defense.  And I'd be shocked if any of those guys is insulted by that.
He said he couldn't do it alone. When you are alone who are you with? Nobody.

Green was never alone. He was with other professional basketball players. Players that have pride and believe in themselves and their abilities. If Green wanted to leave the comment about being alone out of everything he said and just say everything else, then I don't think he is saying anything wrong. He would just be explaining why he was frustrated offensively this year.

Once he added that alone comment, I believe he crossed a line and became insulting to his team mates. Now if they don't take it that way, no harm no foul. Its why I stated my opinion in the form of a question. I would love to hear what his team mates have to say about this. Rondo chimed in but I would love to hear what others think.
You might be over-reacting here.  Yeah he said he can't do it alone...."it" being win a championship.  It's pretty clear by our record and the naked eye that we don't currently have the players capable of winning a championship.  Your whole point indicates that Green is speaking in the past tense (couldn't, was) like he had nobody last year, when really he's talking about the future and how he can use this lesson.  Nobody wants to watch a player who thinks they can do it by themselves.  You probably would have given anything to hear Big Baby say/learn this when he was here.

Green isn't implying anything other than that he wants other players as good or better than he is.  I doubt his teammates are going to get upset about that, nor are they going to think Jeff called them a nobody.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:57:36 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Some people in this thread either have bad reading comprehension or they straight up hate Green. Everything he said was fair. Honestly I was expecting to be mad when I read the thread title, but the actual article is completely different in tone and intent. Kind of a baiting thread title, imo, from the OP.

Explain how the thread title is baiting? Those were the words directly from his mouth about what he learned this season. How you guys interpret it is on you..not me. The context of the article is included so  ::)

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

Wait.  So, because he didn't think of them as equivalent to Pierce or KG, that means he compared them to 'nobody'?

I think it's pretty clear none of those guys are in the same galaxy, let alone the same neighborhood as KG and especially Pierce for drawing the attention of a defense.  And I'd be shocked if any of those guys is insulted by that.

Green was never alone. He was with other professional basketball players. Players that have pride and believe in themselves and their abilities. If Green wanted to leave the comment about being alone out of everything he said and just say everything else, then I don't think he is saying anything wrong. He would just be explaining why he was frustrated offensively this year.

Once he added that alone comment, I believe he crossed a line and became insulting to his team mates. Now if they don't take it that way, no harm no foul. Its why I stated my opinion in the form of a question. I would love to hear what his team mates have to say about this. Rondo chimed in but I would love to hear what others think.

You are focusing on one word and ignoring the context and the rest of the quotes, like some political talking head on TV who focuses on one statistic and contorts it to fit a narrative.

Jeff Green is acknowledging that he can't be the focal point of the offense, that he can't be the go-to scorer who single-handedly carries the team on his back.  If saying so strongly implies that none of his current teammates are capable of that role, either, well, that should be obvious, given that Green leads the team in scoring.  Olynyk, Bradley, and Sullinger are probably the only guys on the roster who have a shot of developing into a guy who can share that scoring burden.

Green isn't going to be a selfish, indiscriminate chucker who seeks to get "his" every night.  There's value in having a guy who can score 30 points in a given night, but who won't seek to maximize his touches because he thinks he can win a game by himself.  If any player is going to take offense from these comments, it will probably be someone who thinks Green is obliquely criticizing him for trying to win games by himself.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429

One thousand times THIS. Danny cannot get him out of here fast enough.

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
I think Green has really improved this season. He has looked really good the last two games. He could easily up his scoring average 5-7 points, next year,  if he learns how to play without the ball better. I see him standing around and watching a lot. If he'd learn to backdoor cut and come off screens better, he might pick up a few easy ones.

Also, if he got a few offensive rebounds, he might get a few more easy points.

I see him in a lot of trade ideas. I think you got to keep him and upgrade the 2 and 4 spot. Like everyone says, he's a very nice 2nd or 3rd guy. You keep him and add a #1.Whoever you trade Green for is going to have the same problem. You can't do it alone in the NBA.

Basing anything on what any player has done in the last two games might border on insanity --  ;D

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 06:15:29 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

You are focusing on one word and ignoring the context and the rest of the quotes, like some political talking head on TV who focuses on one statistic and contorts it to fit a narrative.

Jeff Green is acknowledging that he can't be the focal point of the offense, that he can't be the go-to scorer who single-handedly carries the team on his back.  If saying so strongly implies that none of his current teammates are capable of that role, either, well, that should be obvious, given that Green leads the team in scoring.  Olynyk, Bradley, and Sullinger are probably the only guys on the roster who have a shot of developing into a guy who can share that scoring burden.

Green isn't going to be a selfish, indiscriminate chucker who seeks to get "his" every night.  There's value in having a guy who can score 30 points in a given night, but who won't seek to maximize his touches because he thinks he can win a game by himself.  If any player is going to take offense from these comments, it will probably be someone who thinks Green is obliquely criticizing him for trying to win games by himself.

^This

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
Meh, either you dislike Jeff and think he's overpaid; or you like Green and think he is fairly paid.

I don't think anything Green says is going to sway either side but I do agree with him.

This^.

Similar comment could be made about Rondo & Bradley.   People will take whatever they say or do and twist it over to fit their preferred world view on that player.

It would be interesting to partition out how many people (Celtic fans)

Like all three.
Just dislike Green.
Just dislike Rondo.
Just dislike Bradley.
Just dislike Green & Rondo.
Just dislike Green & Bradley.
Just dislike Rondo & Bradley.
Dislike all three.

The latter group must really enjoy being a fan of this team.   ::)

I'm sure a poll of this would turn up some interesting results, though in truth, I doubt that this blog is really representative of the average Celtic fan.

This would be an interesting poll. I dislike Green (surprise), love Rondo and would not mind if Bradley stays around for the right kind of money -- in other words, I don't love him, but think he could be a nice piece on this team.

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Green failed as the go to guy. You think lebron or durant would be making excuses ?

Green could be a nice 2nd or 3nd scoring option though

“I’m only one guy. I took Hedo in the first game and Rashard made the shot. I took Rashard in the second game and Hedo made the shot.

“If I could clone myself, we’d be all right. But I can’t.”
Game 3, ECF, 2009.

Guess Lebron did make excuses.

And draw as much attention as possible to the injuries he was playing through.

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Guess Lebron did make excuses.

And draw as much attention as possible to the injuries he was playing through.

Thanks, this comment made me go look up the old "LeBron's Elbow" Twitter account.  Good times.

MRI Results back. Just what I thought. They found no damage, a autograph from Jesus, the tears of Joakim Noah and a lightning bolt.
4:30 PM - 28 Apr 2010

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 07:16:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

One thousand times THIS. Danny cannot get him out of here fast enough.

Really?! Don't you think what he's saying is an overreaction?

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
For what it's worth, I took the statement as more about himself than anything else.  A statement of understanding his own limits as he looks forward to next year.

I think to take it as a cut on his teammates is basically a stretch.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For what it's worth, I took the statement as more about himself than anything else.  A statement of understanding his own limits as he looks forward to next year.

I think to take it as a cut on his teammates is basically a stretch.

Me too.

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 07:29:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I always think I can do better. I’m never satisfied,” Green said. “But by me being able to play every game at the way I’m playing, it’s a blessing. I haven’t missed a game yet since heart surgery. Just hopefully, it can continue that way.”

I feel a little better reading this from him. I'd have felt a lot better if he'd said something like, "This year has been hard, harder than I expected, but I'm going to learn from it, and use it to make me a better player this offseason. I'm rededicating myself this summer, and I'm going to come back even stronger than ever."
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Everyone defending Green b/c he's right about not being able to do it alone... but why does no one defend Avery Bradely who should never be more than a #5/6 but has been #2 this season and has been consistent. Everyone wants AB out b/c he is about to get paid but he has had a really good season (aside from injuries), given his capabilities. Jeff gets his 9m (fair) but AB will be overpaid (so you say) at 7m when Jeff is only scoring 3pts more than AB and 2 more rbs (the scoring was closer b4 AB had the injuries and the rbs of course are different as AB is 2 while Jeff is a 3/4)... I get the excuses for Jeff (I agree) but AB stepped further out of his role than Green did and he can't get any type of congratulations.

Both guys did w/e stepping up they could given who they are. Hopefully there will be real #1-2 next season so these guys can go back to excelling at their natural roles!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
To be clear, I like what Green said in almost its entirety except for the doing it alone comment. I just wonder how his team mates will respond to it. Do they know they aren't PP and KG, sure. But there are some young guys there and some immature ones as well, no doubt.

I was just wondering aloud what they thought of the comment. If they have no problem with it, then I don't. If they do then I think maybe Jeff could have expressed himself a bit better by just omitting such a statement.

You see such things in politics all the time. Politician gives a speech. Says great things throughout the whole thing. Just says one statement that can be construed as something off color or bad and the entire speech is forgotten and the only thing people focus on is that one statement. That's why I want to know how the rest of the team viewed his comments.