Author Topic: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone  (Read 23298 times)

Re: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Love Jeff Green. Glad to have him and happy to see him return and have a better year next year.

Hate him all you want. He knows he can't be successful as a one man show and needs to play team ball within the team concept. I think he's taking a dig at himself and saying he's not satisfied.

Unmotivated? Lazy? I think people drastically underestimate what a guy like Jeff had to do to come back and what he had to do to get here and stay here and keep building on his game. I respect this guy, and expect better results.

Sorry if people dislike him. He's going to be here next year.

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
um Jeff, you can't really do it with other people around you either. If he said something like I am the fifth best player on a team tops then I would agree with it. I've had enough of him.

The fifith best?  Come on now...  People on here are ridiculous when it comes to Green.  He's a #3 option on a good team.  Nothing more, nothing less plus as pointed out earlier he's not paid to be a #1 option.  Ainge even said he wasn't a star so why are people on here not able to comprehend that.

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Meh, either you dislike Jeff and think he's overpaid; or you like Green and think he is fairly paid.

I don't think anything Green says is going to sway either side but I do agree with him.

I think it's an issue of fans/posters placing unrealistic expectations on him, and once he failed to live up to it he was labeled a "failure" and a "bust". Jeff is 27, in his sixth year. He wasn't going to morph into a star, 20ppg scorer - but a lot of people seemed to be expecting that. That's not fair. But it happens a lot around here and it usually ends with the same collective moaning and groaning.

When Jeff came back from heart surgery, I myself hoped to see a bit more aggression in his game. That didn't happen and I just accepted that he is what he is, appreciate what he brings to the table and don't go insane over his flaws.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Meh, either you dislike Jeff and think he's overpaid; or you like Green and think he is fairly paid.

I don't think anything Green says is going to sway either side but I do agree with him.

Can I dislike Jeff Green, but think he's fairly paid?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I think it's an issue of fans/posters placing unrealistic expectations on him, and once he failed to live up to it he was labeled a "failure" and a "bust". Jeff is 27, in his sixth year. He wasn't going to morph into a star, 20ppg scorer - but a lot of people seemed to be expecting that. That's not fair. But it happens a lot around here and it usually ends with the same collective moaning and groaning.

When Jeff came back from heart surgery, I myself hoped to see a bit more aggression in his game. That didn't happen and I just accepted that he is what he is, appreciate what he brings to the table and don't go insane over his flaws.

I agree with this.  It really comes down to unrealistic expectations from fans.  From what DA has said, I don't think the C's management / coach / players expected him to make some great leap this year.  He was the #1 scoring option on our team by default because the team is so bad. 

Now you can argue whether or not the 'way' Green stated that was a knock on his current teammates or not, but what he said is true.  He is probably frustrated with losing as well.  He saw more double teams, he had more pressure on him to produce more.

I don't think that J Green is way overpaid or some horrible player that deserves to be dropped right now.  I think if we can find a better scorer / closer at the 3 for a better contract we should go for it.  But I think keeping or trading Green is probably more based on the context of who we draft and other things beyond his control.  He is what he is, and that isn't really that bad.

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Can I dislike Jeff Green, but think he's fairly paid?

Of course, but knowing you Roy, I'm sure you have an appropriate value placed on Jeff.

As usual, it's the people on the extreme sides of those who thought Jeff would be a star, or those that think he's overpaid and needs to be traded ASAP, that constantly bicker back and forth.

I tend to lie somewhere in the middle on Jeff. I like him and think he can be an important piece to a good team but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was traded. I'd simply want an asset in return and think he's more valuable than a salary dump.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think people reasonably expected the same superficial uptick in scoring without really being that much better by being the lead scorer on a bad team that the year-older Arron Afflalo had in Orlando.  (And to be fair, Jeff Green has had his career high points per 36 minutes by a bit over a point/36.

It's just that Green may be one of those guys who can be counted on to perform at a consistent level regardless of the quality of his teammates.  You can't expect him to pad his stats on a bad team, but you'd be making a mistake to write him off as someone whose contributions will be squeezed out if you surround him with better players.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Jeff Green will be absolutely lethal once Danny works his mojo and gets Kevin Love from Minny. You put some prime-time players on this team and Jeff Green will carry us some nights, like he did when Pierce/KG were here.

The help is coming, Jeff....it's coming :)

Just stay hungry.

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
wHy is it ok to except mediocrity on here with jeff Green?  These are excuses for a guy that has been up and down.  It'd be one thing if he was improving but he hasnt.  Im guessing its the same people that are ok with us getting the 5th pick instead of the 3rd pick and making all kinds of excuses for why its ok to win a few meaningless games ::).   It's ok to be a fan and not like certain aspects of the team ya know.

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

Green has to go. Trade his butt, Danny.

Wait.  So, because he didn't think of them as equivalent to Pierce or KG, that means he compared them to 'nobody'?

I think it's pretty clear none of those guys are in the same galaxy, let alone the same neighborhood as KG and especially Pierce for drawing the attention of a defense.  And I'd be shocked if any of those guys is insulted by that.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

This^.

Similar comment could be made about Rondo & Bradley.   People will take whatever they say or do and twist it over to fit their preferred world view on that player.

It would be interesting to partition out how many people (Celtic fans)

Like all three.
Just dislike Green.
Just dislike Rondo.
Just dislike Bradley.
Just dislike Green & Rondo.
Just dislike Green & Bradley.
Just dislike Rondo & Bradley.
Dislike all three.

The latter group must really enjoy being a fan of this team.   ::)

I'm sure a poll of this would turn up some interesting results, though in truth, I doubt that this blog is really representative of the average Celtic fan.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Some people in this thread either have bad reading comprehension or they straight up hate Green. Everything he said was fair. Honestly I was expecting to be mad when I read the thread title, but the actual article is completely different in tone and intent. Kind of a baiting thread title, imo, from the OP. 

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think Green has really improved this season. He has looked really good the last two games. He could easily up his scoring average 5-7 points, next year,  if he learns how to play without the ball better. I see him standing around and watching a lot. If he'd learn to backdoor cut and come off screens better, he might pick up a few easy ones.

Also, if he got a few offensive rebounds, he might get a few more easy points.

I see him in a lot of trade ideas. I think you got to keep him and upgrade the 2 and 4 spot. Like everyone says, he's a very nice 2nd or 3rd guy. You keep him and add a #1.Whoever you trade Green for is going to have the same problem. You can't do it alone in the NBA.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

Green has to go. Trade his butt, Danny.

Wait.  So, because he didn't think of them as equivalent to Pierce or KG, that means he compared them to 'nobody'?

I think it's pretty clear none of those guys are in the same galaxy, let alone the same neighborhood as KG and especially Pierce for drawing the attention of a defense.  And I'd be shocked if any of those guys is insulted by that.
He said he couldn't do it alone. When you are alone who are you with? Nobody.

Green was never alone. He was with other professional basketball players. Players that have pride and believe in themselves and their abilities. If Green wanted to leave the comment about being alone out of everything he said and just say everything else, then I don't think he is saying anything wrong. He would just be explaining why he was frustrated offensively this year.

Once he added that alone comment, I believe he crossed a line and became insulting to his team mates. Now if they don't take it that way, no harm no foul. Its why I stated my opinion in the form of a question. I would love to hear what his team mates have to say about this. Rondo chimed in but I would love to hear what others think.

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Probably the same way they received multiple quotes in the past week from Ainge about how Jeff Green needs help (Toucher/Rich and while calling the game).  Are they thinking, "Does Danny really think I am a nobody?"
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale