Author Topic: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone  (Read 23327 times)

Re: Jeff Green: I can't do it alone
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This mindset is what separates him from being great. Too bad.

Also agree with this.

Would you guys consider Green a great scorer if he tried flopping more?

If he was attempting 3.4 more on top of his 4.3 which would equal 7.7 FTA per game, bumping his scoring to at least 18 or 19, I would say he could be our 2nd option.

He needs to be more aggressive, but I wouldn't mind him trying to drive, pump fake, and then initiate contact like Harden/Durant/Wade does.

I would -- have you tried to watch a Rockets game recently? It's just an endless parade to the free throw line.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Jeff Green understands that he has limitations.  This is a better attitude than guys who chuck up a bunch of bad shots because they think they can be a great scorer.  Jeff Green is a role player who understands he is a role player, not a guy who thinks he would be a superstar if he wasn't being held back.  So, a guy like Josh Smith might be more talented, but Green is probably a better fit as the 3rd or 4th best guy on a team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
This mindset is what separates him from being great. Too bad.

Also agree with this.

Would you guys consider Green a great scorer if he tried flopping more?

If he was attempting 3.4 more on top of his 4.3 which would equal 7.7 FTA per game, bumping his scoring to at least 18 or 19, I would say he could be our 2nd option.

He needs to be more aggressive, but I wouldn't mind him trying to drive, pump fake, and then initiate contact like Harden/Durant/Wade does.

I would -- have you tried to watch a Rockets game recently? It's just an endless parade to the free throw line.

I despise the Rockets, but still I can't doubt the fact they have a great team. I just don't seem them beating the Spurs/OKC/Clippers in the WCF.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

Green has to go. Trade his butt, Danny.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
um Jeff, you can't really do it with other people around you either. If he said something like I am the fifth best player on a team tops then I would agree with it. I've had enough of him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Two comments:

Nothing he said is false.

I have a bigger issue with the implicit shot at his teammates than I do the fact that he knows he wasn't good enough this year.  He's not wrong - nobody on the roster is capable of replicating Pierce and Garnett - but stand by your teammates, just like Rondo did for you.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder how well received these quotes are going to be received by vets like Bass, Wallace, Humphries and Bayless and young players like Bradley, Olynyk, and Sullinger? Gotta think those guys are thinking, "Does Jeff really think I am a nobody that didn't help him on the court this year at all?"

There's something wrong with those guys if they are upset about Green basically saying that they are not as good on offense as Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

Green has to go. Trade his butt, Danny.

LOL!!!
Like they dont see him being double teamed every time he posts up or uses a screen..??
What Jeff said was just the truth! The defenses focused on him being the top scorer on the team! If any of the other Celtics players has something to say about this truth, they just have to score more than Jeff's 17 PPG and become the new focus of the opposing defenses!!
Until they do that, Jeff is RIGHT!!
People are getting paid franchise player money to be the scorers and go to guys of their team.
Jeff is getting paid role player money and will be a great 3rd option on our future team!
Lower your expectation and enjoy the TEAM game once Jeff gets the help he needs!

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Meh, either you dislike Jeff and think he's overpaid; or you like Green and think he is fairly paid.

I don't think anything Green says is going to sway either side but I do agree with him.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I really hope Ainge moves on from this guy, I really do!

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
These statements come after a very long losing season and they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Like others have mentioned Green is not a #1 option for a playoffs team. He is a good #2 and a great #3. He is paid like a 3rd option and performed like one.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
this is just Green telling Danny to make some moves now....doesn't want next year to be like this one....can't blame him, we want the same thing.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Newsflash Jeff green!  You can't do it at all!!!!  Your a unmotivated bust who's content with mediocrity.  Please go away and stay away!

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 12:56:25 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Green failed as the go to guy. You think lebron or durant would be making excuses ?

Green could be a nice 2nd or 3nd scoring option though

At least Green admits that he needs help, unlike LeBron, who would probably blame others and make excuses.

If you look at it, Lebron proved that he couldn't "do it alone", by teaming up with Wade and Bosh. His actions did the speaking for him. No one can do it alone and win a championship.
Exactly, so why is Green getting hate? And yeah, his actions did do the speaking for LeBron. Making a joke out of cleveland on national television. Having a "special" show on national television to announce where he is going, as if the world deeply cares about it (makes you wonder, what does he think of himself?) and the promise of 8 rings on a 6-year contract. Those actions really did do the speaking for him.

At least Green has the guts to say it out that he needs help, unlike LeBron who would have probably made excuses game after game.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
I think Green speaks the truth and I dont fault him for it.  I think he is being reasonable.  Green is planned for now and has more guys on him now. 

Its a team sport.  Pierce couldnt do it w.o. Garnett, Wade couldnt make it w.o. Shaq etc.  I dont look down on any of those players to say the least.  Dont get me wrong I dont put Green on the same tier as those examples.

We expecting Green to go Super Saiyan?  Cant fault him for what he isnt got to work with what he is. 

We need more threats is what it is.