Author Topic: Rockets offseason and the Celtics  (Read 4305 times)

Rockets offseason and the Celtics
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Alex Kennedy an NBA writer  for basketball insider (his info is below) was asked some questions on twitter about possible landing spots for Melo this off season.

Alex Kennedy V
@AlexKennedyNBA

NBA Editor/Writer for Basketball Insiders. akennedy@basketballinsiders.com

He brought some interesting incite into the Rockets. He claims that they are confident in their ability to clear cap room and add Melo to the tandem of Howard and Harden. He goes on in a latter tweet to comment how this would involve using Parson and Picks to move Asik and Lin.

If Morey (rockets GM) really thinks that Melo is a possibility I think the Cs come back in the picture as suitors for Asik. Bogans becomes a great trading piece because the rockets can immediately cut his salary. Im not 100% sure but with cap space opening I believe a draft day trade of #18 and Bogans for Asik works. If the market for Asik is poor the Cs may even be able to hold back on offering the #18 and offer multiple 2nds or the clippers pick. With Asik and Lin's contracts being structured so that the team that trades for them have to pay each 16mill per season (only 8 counts on the cap) their values are driven down. This would leave the Rockets with Parsons,#18(maybe), and their own pick to work out the rest of their Cap dumping trades (mainly moving Lin).

Now this only happens if DA is in fact building a playoff team around Rondo and not looking to trade Rondo.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Rockets offseason and the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The Celts could also deal Rondo to the Rockets as well.

Something like Patrick Beverly, Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik for Rondo and Brandon Bass's expiring.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would be easy enough for the Celtics to absorb Asik and Lin using the Pierce trade exception and our non-guaranteed contracts.

I think getting Parsons in the trade is wishful thinking, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It would be easy enough for the Celtics to absorb Asik and Lin using the Pierce trade exception and our non-guaranteed contracts.

I'm not sure why the Celtics would absorb both unless they were getting Parsons, or something.  That's $29 million of salary paid out.  While I think Asik would be a good fit, I'm not convinced Lin would be, and I don't think it would be worth taking him on in exchange for not offering any compensation for Asik.  And in a world where the Rockets get Melo, do they really need Parsons as much?

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Parsons is signed for under a million dollars next year. I have no idea why they would use him to move two contracts that are quite movable on their own (especially in Asik's case). If a team needs a little convincing to take on Lin's contract, there are other options, including picks and decent young bench players, who fit the bill.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:47:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd much rather see if we could get Parsons and/or picks by taking on Lin or Asik or both. 

Bass, Pressey, & Bogans for Asik & Parsons

Lin & Garcia for trade exception

Houston cuts Bogans that leaves them at about 44 million with players and cap holds.  Enough to make a pretty competitive offer for Anthony and would leave them with a clear contending starting 5 of Beverly, Harden, Anthony, Jones, Howard starting and the start of a decent bench of Bass, Casspri, Motiejunas, Pressey, Canaan.  They could probably keep Garcia as well if Anthony would sign low enough and someone like Faverani could also be sent (and Pressey certainly doesn't need to be sent).  They can just sign some veteran minimum guys to further fill out the rest of the bench.  Frankly, I'd do the trade even if Parsons wasn't sent out as I think it would be great value for Boston.

Boston then has a pretty nice young core and a pretty solid team (though not a contender).  I would also suspect if that trade is made Rondo would be moved.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I'm not sure why the Celtics would absorb both unless they were getting Parsons, or something.  That's $29 million of salary paid out.  While I think Asik would be a good fit, I'm not convinced Lin would be, and I don't think it would be worth taking him on in exchange for not offering any compensation for Asik.  And in a world where the Rockets get Melo, do they really need Parsons as much?
Sure it is 30 million in salary, but the cap hit is only 16.5 million or so.  If the cost to acquire Asik without giving up any real value is taking on Lin, why wouldn't Boston do it?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Sure it is 30 million in salary, but the cap hit is only 16.5 million or so.  If the cost to acquire Asik without giving up any real value is taking on Lin, why wouldn't Boston do it?

Yeah I'm with you on this one. Not only are they only a 16.5 mil cap hit but they are both expiring contracts as well. So if we find nothing else for our Trade Exception and the Rockets are looking for a complete salary dump to net Melo then I would gladly take Asik and Lin. I'd even throw in a future second rounder. We could then reup Asik's contract at the end of the year and hopefully use Lin as trade bait elsewhere.

Wishful thinking on Parsons however is right.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Parsons has more value than as a salary dump, which would really be a salary dump of just Lin, as Asik at least has neutral trade value.  If the Rockets move Parsons, it will be for assets.

That doesn't mean the Celtics should facilitate a Melo trade without being appropriately compensated.  However, if you assume that Asik is worth a mid- to late-first rounder, getting him and another future first (or younger guy who has some potential) for taking on Lin's expiring contract would seem fair.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »

Offline scotto1205

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Learn to be you and only you
If they miss out on melo maybe we could work something out for rondo. They are all about the stars in Houston. I was thinking something between us them and the sixers. We send houston the pp trade exception for lets say 2 future second round picks. Then a 3 way trade between us them and the sixers.

This would be a draft day trade.

Boston sends: Rondo, Sullinger, 18th pick
Boston gets: Parsons, Noel, Lin, Asik

Houston sends: Parsons, Jones, Lin, Asik
Houston gets: Rondo, Thad Young (Trade Exception)

Sixers send: Noel, Thad Young
Sixers get: Sullinger, Jones, 18th pick from Boston (they would draft Embiid in this scenario)

Boston drafts exum and finds a way to moe green.

Exum, Bradley, Parsons, KO, Asik  bring Noel along slowly

Then we would have 16 mil in expiring don Lin and Asik, bass expiring if we cut bogans, we could be major players in 2015 FA. And add a star or 2 to the core of exum, KO, Noel, and parsons!

So what do you guys think?

Maybe green bass bogans to NYK for staudamire expiring and shumpert
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:19:03 AM by scotto1205 »
"Maybe there is hope for us afterall

I post a lot of stuff on my phone autocorrect sucks.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I know it's fine from a cap perspective, but that's a lot of dollars to take on to help bump your team to a low playoff seed.  The Celtics payroll (not salary cap) would end up at about $85 million.  That's more than it would have been this year if we'd kept Pierce and KG and paid the luxury tax.  Ownership is willing to pay to put a winner on the floor, I'm certain.  But that's a lot of money for one year of an okay team.  Either you get a long-term asset in addition, or another one-year asset who's cheap (like Parsons) and can maybe move the needle on the team's quality up a few more spots.

If Parsons is redundant to Melo for their roster, then I could see them trading Parsons.  He's an unrestricted free agent after next year, so his value as a trade chip will decline quickly.

I'd also point out that I don't see how Houston can actually afford to add Melo through straight up free agency next summer, even trading Lin, Asik, Parsons, and dumping all their non-guaranteed and team options.  Unless the salary cap comes in significantly higher than currently projected (which is $61-$62 million).  I think they'd need the cap to be at least $64 million to pull it off, unless Melo will take less than a max deal.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think the point of my post was missed. I don't think the Cs will have any involvement in a trade for Lin. I do think they will make a play for Asik and he could be the first piece in Houston attempt to clear room for Melo. Cap wise im not sure how the $$ will work for the Rockets but their intent to go after him has been well documented so there must be a way it works out.

As for Rondo to the Rockets, I could see Ainge doing a Rondo and Green for Parson, Lin and Asik and picks but only if he sees no way to add stars around Rondo and the draft lands the Cs a player he views as PG of the future (exum, Smart or Ennis).
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Parsons has more value than as a salary dump, which would really be a salary dump of just Lin, as Asik at least has neutral trade value.  If the Rockets move Parsons, it will be for assets.

That doesn't mean the Celtics should facilitate a Melo trade without being appropriately compensated.  However, if you assume that Asik is worth a mid- to late-first rounder, getting him and another future first (or younger guy who has some potential) for taking on Lin's expiring contract would seem fair.

You need to see the potential transaction as an aggregate of Parsons, Asik, and Lin for Carmelo Anthony and maybe a likely non-lottery first.

If you (as the Rockets) would agree to Parsons, Asik, Lin, and maybe a first and some seconds for Carmelo Anthony in a sign-and-trade (with the Knicks either trading Chandler or flipping Asik for assets), then using Parsons to clear cap space to sign Melo outright and picking up a pick in the process seems like a no-brainer. 

The reason the Rockets might prefer a sign-and-trade scenario is so that they could keep some of their role players so that their bench isn't completely depleted and so that they could use the full MLE rather than the room exception.  If there was a sign-and-trade, maybe the Celtics could be a third team who absorbs Asik for either unguaranteed contracts or the trade exception in exchange for a pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I know it's fine from a cap perspective, but that's a lot of dollars to take on to help bump your team to a low playoff seed.  The Celtics payroll (not salary cap) would end up at about $85 million.  That's more than it would have been this year if we'd kept Pierce and KG and paid the luxury tax.  Ownership is willing to pay to put a winner on the floor, I'm certain.  But that's a lot of money for one year of an okay team.  Either you get a long-term asset in addition, or another one-year asset who's cheap (like Parsons) and can maybe move the needle on the team's quality up a few more spots.

If Parsons is redundant to Melo for their roster, then I could see them trading Parsons.  He's an unrestricted free agent after next year, so his value as a trade chip will decline quickly.

I'd also point out that I don't see how Houston can actually afford to add Melo through straight up free agency next summer, even trading Lin, Asik, Parsons, and dumping all their non-guaranteed and team options.  Unless the salary cap comes in significantly higher than currently projected (which is $61-$62 million).  I think they'd need the cap to be at least $64 million to pull it off, unless Melo will take less than a max deal.

Interesting thing about Parsons contract; if his option is "declined" for next year he becomes a RFA. If his option is picked up, then he becomes a UFA in 2015.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:40:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

You need to see the potential transaction as an aggregate of Parsons, Asik, and Lin for Carmelo Anthony and maybe a likely non-lottery first.

If you (as the Rockets) would agree to Parsons, Asik, Lin, and maybe a first and some seconds for Carmelo Anthony in a sign-and-trade (with the Knicks either trading Chandler or flipping Asik for assets), then using Parsons to clear cap space to sign Melo outright and picking up a pick in the process seems like a no-brainer. 

The reason the Rockets might prefer a sign-and-trade scenario is so that they could keep some of their role players so that their bench isn't completely depleted and so that they could use the full MLE rather than the room exception.  If there was a sign-and-trade, maybe the Celtics could be a third team who absorbs Asik for either unguaranteed contracts or the trade exception in exchange for a pick.

Sure, you can see it that way, and it might make sense to do so if the Celtics were the only team that could aid Houston.

They're not, though.  The Rockets will be able to find another team to absorb Lin without being required to send Parsons.