Author Topic: Rockets offseason and the Celtics  (Read 4308 times)

Re: Rockets offseason and the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would use the Pierce trade exception plus Bogans to get Asik and Lin. I'm not sure if I would give up the 18th pick on a rebuilding team to get two guys that are signed for one more year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It would be easy enough for the Celtics to absorb Asik and Lin using the Pierce trade exception and our non-guaranteed contracts.

I think getting Parsons in the trade is wishful thinking, though.

I'm not sure why the Celtics would absorb both unless they were getting Parsons, or something.  That's $29 million of salary paid out.  While I think Asik would be a good fit, I'm not convinced Lin would be, and I don't think it would be worth taking him on in exchange for not offering any compensation for Asik.  And in a world where the Rockets get Melo, do they really need Parsons as much?

Parsons has more value than as a salary dump, which would really be a salary dump of just Lin, as Asik at least has neutral trade value.  If the Rockets move Parsons, it will be for assets.

That doesn't mean the Celtics should facilitate a Melo trade without being appropriately compensated.  However, if you assume that Asik is worth a mid- to late-first rounder, getting him and another future first (or younger guy who has some potential) for taking on Lin's expiring contract would seem fair.

You need to see the potential transaction as an aggregate of Parsons, Asik, and Lin for Carmelo Anthony and maybe a likely non-lottery first.

If you (as the Rockets) would agree to Parsons, Asik, Lin, and maybe a first and some seconds for Carmelo Anthony in a sign-and-trade (with the Knicks either trading Chandler or flipping Asik for assets), then using Parsons to clear cap space to sign Melo outright and picking up a pick in the process seems like a no-brainer. 

The reason the Rockets might prefer a sign-and-trade scenario is so that they could keep some of their role players so that their bench isn't completely depleted and so that they could use the full MLE rather than the room exception.  If there was a sign-and-trade, maybe the Celtics could be a third team who absorbs Asik for either unguaranteed contracts or the trade exception in exchange for a pick.

Sure, you can see it that way, and it might make sense to do so if the Celtics were the only team that could aid Houston.

They're not, though.  The Rockets will be able to find another team to absorb Lin without being required to send Parsons.

The Celtics will be their best shot at squeezing multiple firsts out of another team, so I think Morey's preference will be to try and work out a deal with Boston.

It comes down to how much Morey values first round picks and what sort of contract he expects Parsons to earn in the future.  If a sign-and-trade with the Knicks is worked out, do you think Houston would prefer to give up Parsons in lieu of multiple picks?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It comes down to how much Morey values first round picks and what sort of contract he expects Parsons to earn in the future.  If a sign-and-trade with the Knicks is worked out, do you think Houston would prefer to give up Parsons in lieu of multiple picks?

It's hard to say.  I would assume that he'd prefer to keep Parsons, who would seem to be worth more than two (likely) late first rounders. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's hard to say.  I would assume that he'd prefer to keep Parsons, who would seem to be worth more than two (likely) late first rounders.

I think it's more complicated than that.  I would assume he'd prefer to keep Parsons for a future contract of x dollars per year, but would prefer the picks if he thought Parsons would get an offer of y dollars per year from another team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference