Author Topic: Celtics (25-55) at Sixers (17-63) Game #81 4/14/14  (Read 38868 times)

Re: Celtics (25-55) at Sixers (17-63) Game #81 4/14/14
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:50 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Thank you Rondo!! Captain Tank!!
We need him to help us tank the last game too if we have any chance at #4 or #5.  One more win basically guarantees us 6th best odds. Might get lucky in the lotto, but that's the situation.  Lakers lose tonight gives us a 3-way tie at 25 wins with Utah and LA.

We'd all split ping pong combos and a coin flip determines who gets 4, 5, 6 presuming nobody makes the Top 3.

If Charlotte beats Atlanta then we will lose game 82. Washington will give us all they got.
Uhhhh tiebreakers?

so, who owns the tie breaker?

Wizards I believe which is bad news for us. Still I think we will find a way to lose.

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Honestly it's not like there's a drop off after the 4th pick, so does it really matter?  Whoever they pick Danny will be rolling the dice hoping the pick turns into a star - and doesn't decide after 3 years of us developing him that he hates Boston and wants out. 

And history will likely show that after the drafts middle will yield more studs than the top 5.  It's called 'busts' and you have them every year.

This team just dropped 2 straight to a D league roster + Michael Carter Williams and MCW had his way with all of our guards.  I wouldn't be so giddy.  This still a lengthy turnaround and I don't expect things to get much better next season.

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Thank you Rondo!! Captain Tank!!
We need him to help us tank the last game too if we have any chance at #4 or #5.  One more win basically guarantees us 6th best odds. Might get lucky in the lotto, but that's the situation.  Lakers lose tonight gives us a 3-way tie at 25 wins with Utah and LA.

We'd all split ping pong combos and a coin flip determines who gets 4, 5, 6 presuming nobody makes the Top 3.

If Charlotte beats Atlanta then we will lose game 82. Washington will give us all they got.
Uhhhh tiebreakers?

so, who owns the tie breaker?

Wizards I believe which is bad news for us. Still I think we will find a way to lose.

No Charlotte won the Season series 3-1 over Washington this year. Charlotte has the tie breaker.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2014, 12:08:51 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Those last 2 wins hurt us, dropped our % for a top 3 by a third (from ~42% to ~29%), and now we have a ~45% chance of a pick 6-8, if we kept on to equal thrid it would have been ~10%

This is if current results holds

anyways we can wait for the lotto to see if the magic and the jazz land in the top 3 (only way to know for certain that they actually blew anything major, as we would have be subject to the coin toss anyway)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:15:48 AM by goCeltics »

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Those last 2 wins hurt us, dropped our % for a top 3 by a third (from ~42% to ~29%), and now we have a ~45% chance of a pick 6-8, if we kept on to equal thrid it would have been ~10%

This is if current results holds

anyways we can wait for the lotto to see if the magic and the jazz land in the top 3 (only way to know for certain that they actually blew anything major, as we would have be subject to the coin toss anyway)
Are you just assuming that both Philly and Milwaukee will both end up in the top three because that's a fairly large assumption and then only the Jazz or the Magic will be the third team in? This is an actual question.

« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2014, 07:50:31 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I don't get the angst about how the Celts haven't been good enough at tanking.

We finished 1-3 against the Sixers.  We've closed out the season 2-10.  After starting the season 10-12, we've gone 15-44, a winning percentage of 25.4%.  Teams with a lower win percentage over 82 games?  Philly and Milwaukee.

This team tanked about as successfully as anybody could have hoped for.

I'm more upset at the fact that we had the 3rd slot with 4 games left, only to win 2 meaningless ones. But other then that, we lost more games that I expected us to.

agreed. I think everyone is just ready for this brutal season to be over and everyone is frustrated.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We finished 1-3 against the Sixers.  We've closed out the season 2-10.  After starting the season 10-12, we've gone 15-44, a winning percentage of 25.4%.  Teams with a lower win percentage over 82 games?  Philly and Milwaukee.

I'm more upset at the fact that we had the 3rd slot with 4 games left, only to win 2 meaningless ones. But other then that, we lost more games that I expected us to.

agreed. I think everyone is just ready for this brutal season to be over and everyone is frustrated.

I agree about it being time for the season to be over.  It's been terrible, and I understand the frustration of missing out on an opportunity for the 3rd best odds (tied) or the 4th best odds (outright).

I just think we need perspective.  There was no way we were losing that Cavs game the way they played, which means the only "loseable" game we won was against the Bobcats.  That game stunk, but the Celts lost games they should have won against Detroit and Philly x 2, at minimum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Did anyone watch the game last night with Danny Ainge and Mike Gorman's commentary? What were the reactions after Rondo's dribbling into the last second? ;D
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I agree about it being time for the season to be over.  It's been terrible, and I understand the frustration of missing out on an opportunity for the 3rd best odds (tied) or the 4th best odds (outright).

I just think we need perspective.  There was no way we were losing that Cavs game the way they played, which means the only "loseable" game we won was against the Bobcats.  That game stunk, but the Celts lost games they should have won against Detroit and Philly x 2, at minimum.
They the C's are 3-16 I think in the last 19 and have lost a ton of on possession games.

If you want losses and lottery ping pong balls they've delivered about as well as any team that has actual NBA players on it can.

« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

They the C's are 3-16 I think in the last 19 and have lost a ton of on possession games.

If you want losses and lottery ping pong balls they've delivered about as well as any team that has actual NBA players on it can.

That's good perspective right there. I also think that as long as were in the top 6-7 were good. Were getting a talented prospect with a fair amount of potential and that's the best you can ask for. None of these guys in the top 7 are guaranteed.

Wiggins has assertiveness questions.
Embiid already has durability issues with, gulp, his back.
Can Parker's athletic ability translate into being a star at the next level.
Is randle too one dimensional?
Do we really know anything about exum?
Can Gordon learn how to dribble and shoot like a SF or bulk up enough to be a PF?
Can Smart learn to shoot and run a team?

All of these guys in the top 7 could in three years be looked at as the best player taken bc they all have great potential. They also each have big questions. There success will largely depend on work ethic but it will also depend on organizational culture, locker room structure, coaching, player development strategy, and some luck.

Boston presently has great organizational structure. They still have a culture based on precedents set by Kevin Garnett. The coaching seems like it will be good. As long as our prospect has potential like one of these 7, works hard with a good attitude, and can stay healthy then I think we will have acquired a major asset with our 2014 lotto pick regardless of if it's top 3 or not.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

yep. Can't argue with that.

i agree. the only way we probably could have done better was openly benching all starters and trying to win with anthony, babb etc for most of the minutes which I was for but clearly CBS and/or DA did not wanna do that. Maybe it would have looked too obvious??
LET'S GO CELTICS!