Poll

Will Jabari Parker declare for the 2014 NBA draft?

Yes, Jabari turns pro and enters the draft
29 (74.4%)
No, Jabari returns to Duke to chase an NCAA title
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?  (Read 8961 times)

Re: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
From what I've seen from Parker so far, solely on personal level, he really seems like a down-to-earth, smart and rational guy.

I agree with @LooseCannon that Jabari looks like a guy who would be interested in staying his entire career in one team. Hopefully the Celtics. ;D
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
it's funny how much his decision can potentially change a number of franchises. I mean, we could end up getting the 3rd or 4th pick and having to pick a guy who is a bust instead Parker if he stays, or the Lakers could get Parker at 1 or 2, and either way, players like Smart and Vonleh will rise or fall a spot based on his decision.

Parker is showing some early signs of Dwight Howardism though.

Jabari is a great prospect and should make a major impact in the NBA, but the only way we can select 4th is by winning a tiebreaker with the Jazz (if we lose and they win) and having no teams jump over us for a top 3 pick. With that being the case, we would then either have our choice of Embiid, Wiggins, Exum (I am happy with any of these) or take somebody else with the 5th or 6th pick. It only affects us if the one or two teams in front of us take the 'other' guy we wanted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:02:52 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think he declares. I don't think there was every any doubt, and I think that the delay was him trying to convince himself to stay in the NCAA for another season.

But, of course, my estimation of that is shaped by the fact that I've always figured he was going to declare.

2/2, because I am all-knowing.  ::)

Lately I haven't slept much. Although my dream is to play in the NBA, I've gotten pretty attached to life at Duke and I don't want to utter the word goodbye.

For starters, my teammates -- guys like Rasheed Sulaimon and Rodney Hood -- have become like brothers. One season together doesn't feel long enough. Second, I have thrived in the classroom and my professors have opened my mind to other areas of interest, such as film, writing, and business. Third, my assistant coaches -- Wojo, Nate, my uncle Jon, and my mentor Jeff Capel -- have become important men in my life.

JEFF BENEDICT: The education of Jabari Parker

Then there's Coach K, the godfather of college basketball. He's much more than a coach to me. He's been a father figure. He's taught me a lot about the game and what it will take to succeed in the NBA. But he's taught me even more about life. In our discussions he has made no attempt to talk me into staying. He has simply told me the pros and cons.

There is one other thing tugging at me to remain in Durham. Next year my good friend Jahlil Okafor is coming, along with three other top recruits. The prospect of playing with such a talented big man is pretty tempting. Together we could help put up another banner in Cameron.

I haven't consulted many people during this process. I talked to my parents, though. They simply said it was my decision and they would stand behind me either way. They just want me to be happy.

Ultimately, I boiled my decision down to two simple questions:

Which environment -- college or the NBA -- offers me the best opportunity to grow as a basketball player?

Which environment -- college or the NBA -- offers me the best opportunity to grow and develop off the court?

The answer to both questions is undeniably the NBA.

There is something else. My father, Sonny, played in the NBA. I know firsthand that the career span of a pro basketball player is finite. The lucky ones play until their mid-30s. With that perspective, I shrink my professional career with each year that I remain in college. It's ironic, but true.

I have lived with great expectations ever since I dunked for the first time at age 14. I take losing very personally because I don't like letting people down. Not fans. Not teammates. Especially not Coach K. That's another reason why this decision has been so tough. I wanted to go out on a winning note.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140417/jabari-parker-declares-for-nba-draft/#ixzz2zACrhRZW
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
D.o.stradamus, where will we land in the lottery?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Don't the lottery gods owe Boston from the Tim Duncan year? 2 picks in the top five and they still didn't get the top pick....or the Durant year?

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 01:55:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
D.o.stradamus, where will we land in the lottery?

In the top 7.  ;D

To be more apt to be wrong: my Magic 8 Ball just told me it was "most likely," that we win the #1 overall pick.

My Magic 8 ball is bad at math.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.