Poll

Will Jabari Parker declare for the 2014 NBA draft?

Yes, Jabari turns pro and enters the draft
29 (74.4%)
No, Jabari returns to Duke to chase an NCAA title
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?  (Read 8967 times)

Re: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
where is the Presser.

If it is at Duke then he is not declaring for the draft this year.

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
where is the Presser.

why does he need to do a press conf if he is staying?? Even if he is declaring, is it necessary?

Just announce it. When you are good enough and do something worthwhile in the nba, then you can hold a press conf.

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Out of that post you picked the example of the length of career to post about?  I wasn't trying to give an accurate example of the length of NBA careers, I was trying to point out how you don't get that first year of free agency and potential big money back.

With Parker we are talking a potential top 3 pick though and his career should at least go until 35 unless he has an injury.

Just for fun I looked up the 99 draft to see who was still in the league: Brand, Odom, Hamilton, Miller, Marion, Terry, Maggette, Artest, and Kirilenko.  Not bad.  More than I actually would have thought.

FWIW Odom's overseas and Maggette never signed with a team.

Also -- There is no presser planned. Not at Duke, anyway.
According to Duke, there was no news conference scheduled and nothing planned from Parker on Wednesday in terms of an announcement regarding his decision whether to enter the NBA draft.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10782914/jabari-parker-duke-blue-devils-decide-soon-nba-draft
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I couldn't make an educated guess without seeing his transcript. Did he declare his major yet? How many core credits does he need next term?

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
where is the Presser.

Wiggins had his press conference announcing his decision to declare for the draft at Kansas with Bill Self.

Where the press conference is doesn't tell you what his decision is.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There are people saying that they don't expect him to make an announcement today because he won't want to overshadow the team banquet tonight.

If Parker wants to go back to school for another season, that would be an awesome moment to let his teammates know his plans.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
This kid is staying...
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford..

Joe Chicago [via mobile]

What others teams beside the Jazz would take Jabari at 1 or 2 over Wiggins or Embiid? Any?

Chad Ford  (1:12 PM)

Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans are all possibilities. All teams that want to make the playoffs next year and may prefer the most NBA ready prospect in the draft.

Dan (NYC)

Jabari's deciding today. What are you hearing?

Chad Ford  (1:06 PM)

Well it seems there's some uncertainty that he's deciding today. He said he was meeting with Coach K yesterday. I think he's truly torn. He'd love to come back, improve, play with friends Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones. He also knows he's a Top 3 pick and if he returns, he risks slipping in the draft due to performance questions or an injury. The latest I've heard is that he's leaning toward declaring, but again, these are immensely emotional issues and sometimes people go back and forth on them multiple times a day. I think we're going to have to wait on the press conference for this one. If he does stay, he'll be a top our Big Board for 2015. There is no one in the incoming class that's a better prospect than Jabari.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Hey look at it this way, if Jabari stays we can feel better about picking 5 or 6 if it comes to that.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
But, of course, my estimation of this event is shaped by the fact that I've always figured he was going to _____________.

here's a helpful madlib for anyone who feels like contributing to the thread before he declares.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Hey look at it this way, if Jabari stays we can feel better about picking 5 or 6 if it comes to that.

If Jabari stays, we can pick Wiggins this year and Jabari next year.  ;D
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

If Jabari stays, we can pick Wiggins this year and Jabari next year.  ;D

Sully/Olynyk/Parker/Wiggins/Rondo

#Banner18  :)

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
it's funny how much his decision can potentially change a number of franchises. I mean, we could end up getting the 3rd or 4th pick and having to pick a guy who is a bust instead Parker if he stays, or the Lakers could get Parker at 1 or 2, and either way, players like Smart and Vonleh will rise or fall a spot based on his decision.

Parker is showing some early signs of Dwight Howardism though.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Please explain.

I see Parker as a guy who might exhibit life-long loyalty to whichever team eventually drafts him and will probably sign a team-friendly contract if he finds himself in a place he likes.  One could argue that he is showing early signs of Tim Duncanism, instead, to refer to a guy who might have been the #1 pick as a sophomore but stuck it out until his senior year.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Please explain.

I see Parker as a guy who might exhibit life-long loyalty to whichever team eventually drafts him and will probably sign a team-friendly contract if he finds himself in a place he likes.  One could argue that he is showing early signs of Tim Duncanism, instead, to refer to a guy who might have been the #1 pick as a sophomore but stuck it out until his senior year.

It's pretty well documented that Tim Duncan stayed in school to honor the wishes of his dying mother.

Not quite the same thing as being conflicted about whether to go pro or not -- although I agree that "Howardism" seems to be a serious exaggeration.