Poll

Will Jabari Parker declare for the 2014 NBA draft?

Yes, Jabari turns pro and enters the draft
29 (74.4%)
No, Jabari returns to Duke to chase an NCAA title
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?  (Read 8923 times)

Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
So it appears we'll find out the answer to the big mystery of the 2014 draft (so far) sometime tomorrow. Will Jabari Parker actually decide to go back to school even though he's projected to be a top 3 pick?

What do you think his final decision will be?

Re: Poll: Jabari Parker - In or Out?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Up until a week or two ago, I thought it was a forgone conclusion that he'd declare.  But lately he's sounded like a kid who wants to enjoy the college experience a little longer.  I think he stays in school.  I hope I'm wrong though - I want him in the draft.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Parker stays.  He is not ready , he prob knows it too. Wiggins, Embiid are going for the money. Both didn't prove that they are really ready for the next level either

Most of these super freshman's are not ready (including exum, who needs to add a ton of weight). Guys like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh could use another year but at least they are all good defenders and have the body to bang with the big boys. 

It's going to be interesting what happens from draft night to beginning of trainning camp and throughout the next season.  Prob lots of talk as to who got the steal or screwed up their picks

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think he declares. I don't think there was every any doubt, and I think that the delay was him trying to convince himself to stay in the NCAA for another season.

But, of course, my estimation of that is shaped by the fact that I've always figured he was going to declare.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
He's staying in school because all signals point to that happening.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's staying in school because all signals point to that happening.

Not all of them -- my Magic 8 Ball told me to ask again later.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
God I hope so, but I have a bad feeling he stays.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think he might stay if he thinks doing so would set a strong moral example.  Would he be a better advertisement for his religion by staying at Duke or going pro?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Too much moo-la to leave on the table.  I can't believe Cauley-Stein is staying!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think Parker stays.  He is not ready , he prob knows it too. Wiggins, Embiid are going for the money. Both didn't prove that they are really ready for the next level either

Most of these super freshman's are not ready (including exum, who needs to add a ton of weight). Guys like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh could use another year but at least they are all good defenders and have the body to bang with the big boys. 

It's going to be interesting what happens from draft night to beginning of trainning camp and throughout the next season.  Prob lots of talk as to who got the steal or screwed up their picks

That's funny because most everyone says Parker is the most ready of all the prospects to make an immediate impact in the NBA. If he's not ready, then who is?

Anyway the draft is not about who's "ready." It's about maximizing your earning potential for your rookie deal and subsequent contracts after the initial four-year pact has expired. If you are already a lottery pick and an extra year in college does not stand to improve your stock a significant amount, it makes sense to declare.

Furthermore there's no evidence the college game is better preparation for the NBA than the training you can get on an NBA roster, even if you're not playing heavy minutes in actual games.

It would be nice if the NCAA and NBA didn't conspire to penalize players who would like to stay in college and not have it adversely impact their earning potential, but the system works well for business. That's what it is, a business. Everybody is "going for the money," as you put it, not just the players.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Someone should sit him down and slap some sense in him.  If he end up not declaring, he may regret it for the rest of his life

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm for any player who will get drafted in the first round coming out.  Staying in school will cost these kids millions, maybe tens of millions of dollars.  People always say that, "oh if he stays in school he can improve his draft position and make more next year."  What that fails to take into account is the player's career is only going to last from his age of around 20yrs old to say 40yrs old.  So if you lose a year at age 20 you never get that year back. 

The most important thing to making money in the pros is to get through that first rookie contract and get your free agent deal.  You never get that year back.  If Parker stays in college until he is 21 he doesn't finish that first deal until 25 (i think they are 4 year deals).  He never gets that age 24 free agent year back. 

At some point, it potentially costs him a deal at all.  Say his contract runs out at 35 instead of 36 and his skills have diminished.  Maybe he doesn't get a contract offer at all at age 36 and retires while at age 35 his skills haven't diminished as much and he gets a $15 million three year offer.

This doesn't even take into account the extra year of endorsement potential and shoe deals as well as the NBA retirement package he'd have an extra year of service.

Give up all of that for the "college experience?"

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm for any player who will get drafted in the first round coming out.  Staying in school will cost these kids millions, maybe tens of millions of dollars.  People always say that, "oh if he stays in school he can improve his draft position and make more next year."  What that fails to take into account is the player's career is only going to last from his age of around 20yrs old to say 40yrs old.  So if you lose a year at age 20 you never get that year back. 

The most important thing to making money in the pros is to get through that first rookie contract and get your free agent deal.  You never get that year back.  If Parker stays in college until he is 21 he doesn't finish that first deal until 25 (i think they are 4 year deals).  He never gets that age 24 free agent year back. 

At some point, it potentially costs him a deal at all.  Say his contract runs out at 35 instead of 36 and his skills have diminished.  Maybe he doesn't get a contract offer at all at age 36 and retires while at age 35 his skills haven't diminished as much and he gets a $15 million three year offer.

This doesn't even take into account the extra year of endorsement potential and shoe deals as well as the NBA retirement package he'd have an extra year of service.

Give up all of that for the "college experience?"

20 years as a career is extremely rare. It's more like from 19-20 to 31-34 at best, with many flaming out of the league much earlier.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Out of that post you picked the example of the length of career to post about?  I wasn't trying to give an accurate example of the length of NBA careers, I was trying to point out how you don't get that first year of free agency and potential big money back.

With Parker we are talking a potential top 3 pick though and his career should at least go until 35 unless he has an injury.

Just for fun I looked up the 99 draft to see who was still in the league: Brand, Odom, Hamilton, Miller, Marion, Terry, Maggette, Artest, and Kirilenko.  Not bad.  More than I actually would have thought.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:16:40 PM by danglertx »

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You people make it sound like it is a massive character defect if maximizing his money is not his priority.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference