Author Topic: If not Embiid, will Danny draft Vonleh based on needs?  (Read 17033 times)

Re: If not Embiid, will Danny draft Vonleh based on needs?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Watched the clip, thanks.  He gets his shot blocked a lot in it. also turns it over a lot. 

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thats what happens when you try to go 1 on 3. He has no room to operate also.

The nba will provide more space.

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Against longer, more athletic players though.

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 05:15:17 PM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I am not sure where you are getting that Vonleh is a rim protector. Saw him play 3-4 games at Indiana and he never once made me think he had a good rim protecting, defensive anchor ability in him. Not once.

It's not that he is a rim protector now, a la Greg Oden at OSU, it's that he has the potential to be a good defensive anchor. He's athletic, long, skilled and only 19 years old.
Noah Vonleh is 18 years old

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 05:39:30 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Noah does absolutely nothing for me.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Noah does absolutely nothing for me.

in terms of the "wow" factor i agree.  I mean if you compare him to someone like wiggins

He does alot of things well and was a steady performer, but didn't have a 41 pt or 21 rebound dominating game.

However i do value guys who are efficient, dependable and provide consistent effort.

Yes a guy like Smart had a few dominating performances but also had several horrible ones, no shows, horrible shooting nights (3 for 18).   

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
has his reach measurements of 9'0 changed anybodies mind that Vonleh can play some Center in the nba? 

Even if he can't be considered a FT center, he could play center like Bosh, KG does . Vonleh is close to 250 and an excellent post defender. Excellent rebounder and a decent rim protector. From a defensive point of view,  what more can you ask from a pf/c?

On the offensive end, he could be a matchup nightmare for alot of centers in the league. He could drag them out and shoot the ball all game. Take the ball to the basket and mix in with some nice post moves/fakes.   His ability to drag his man from the post to permiter will create more space for everyone else

thoughts?

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Your description sounds a lot like Olynyk.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Your description sounds a lot like Olynyk.

Yes on the offensive end but not defensive end. Vonleh is easily a better rebounder and rim protector. Also better post defender and defender in general

Just looking at his stats again last season. Against decent centers like AJ Hammonds, Payne, Frank Kaminsky (twice) , he did a really good job on the defensive end.  All of these guys except Payne are taller, bigger. Not elite Centers but still a pretty good indication of what Vonleh can do vs bigger sized opponents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir42vNaqbXY

one thing if he didn't do/improve by the end of the season is to put up his hands to contest jump shots out in the perimeter. Otherwise his defense looks good. I like his effort to try to prevent entry passes into the post

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think he should. If Vonleh will indeed have a Chris Bosh potential, you don't want to miss that.

But you dont want to play him at Center. If we are drafting a PF, we have to use the other pick and out other young PF's (KO, Sully) or Bass and move it for a Center (Asik is of course THE target) or move up to draft one (Nurkic).

But, wow, with triboy's video, he seems to be allergic on challenging jump shooters...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:01:05 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think he should. If Vonleh will indeed have a Chris Bosh potential, you don't want to miss that.

But you dont want to play him at Center. If we are drafting a PF, we have to use the other pick and out other young PF's (KO, Sully) or Bass and move it for a Center (Asik is of course THE target) or move up to draft one (Nurkic).

I disagree.  I think he will be better suited to defend the center position. His quickness is very good for a center but only mediocre for a pf. A little quicker than KO but not Ibaka quick.  If he had to guard Ibaka/Griffin imo he would be in trouble.  Now you have him guard Perkins or Asik, you stand a better chance.

The way he operates on the offensive end is more like a center also.  You are not seeing him blazing to the basket for emphatic dunks.  Or running hard/fluid in transition.  Imo vonleh screams center. He is like a Bosh you see today (not the peak explosive version).  A Bosh version of today for the next 10 years without his performance dropping. Imo thats a still a pretty decent player
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:10:54 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I disagree.  I think he will be better suited to defend the center position. His quickness is very good for a center but only mediocre for a pf. A little quicker than KO but not Ibaka quick.  If he had to guard Ibaka/Griffin imo he would be in trouble.  Now you have him guard Perkins or Asik, you stand a better chance.

The way he operates on the offensive end is more like a center also.  You are not seeing him blazing to the basket for emphatic dunks.  Or running hard/fluid in transition.  Imo vonleh screams center. He is like a Bosh you see today (not the peak explosive version).  A Bosh version of today for the next 10 years without his performance dropping. Imo thats a still a pretty decent player

He's not even good enough to play defensively, period. Slow rotations on pick and rolls, not challenging jumpers, and now you want to add extra pressure on him by putting him against the biggest dudes in the league? His only 6'9" 1/2 in shoes (per ESPN NBA Draft Combine), Pekovic is going to eat this boy alive. Brook Lopez will have a field day on him. Heck, I think Andrew Bogut will have a haul against him. Him as a PF, he'll have the size and enough athletic ability to atleast have a chance. Against 7 footers, ugh, I'd rather keep Sully and draft someone else instead.

BTW, even the best PF's have a hard time guarding Blake Griffin. Lets not use him as a measurement of as to how a PF will do well in the NBA.

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We can just have Aaron Gordon guard the other team's PF's and Centers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He's not even good enough to play defensively, period. Slow rotations on pick and rolls, not challenging jumpers, and now you want to add extra pressure on him by putting him against the biggest dudes in the league? His only 6'9" 1/2 in shoes (per ESPN NBA Draft Combine), Pekovic is going to eat this boy alive. Brook Lopez will have a field day on him. Heck, I think Andrew Bogut will have a haul against him. Him as a PF, he'll have the size and enough athletic ability to atleast have a chance. Against 7 footers, ugh, I'd rather keep Sully and draft someone else instead.

BTW, even the best PF's have a hard time guarding Blake Griffin. Lets not use him as a measurement of as to how a PF will do well in the NBA.

Why would Bogut, Pekovic eat him alive?  Do these guys man handle Bosh or KG (last year version)?

Also his PnR defense is decent. Like KO he will get better once he learns the system/adapts to the nba speed. Challenging jump shots is a minor problem that can be easily fixed
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:50:06 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Why would Bogut, Pekovic eat him alive?  Do these guys man handle Bosh or KG (last year version)?

Also his PnR defense is decent. Like KO he will get better once he learns the system/adapts to nba speed. Challenging jump shots is a minor problem that can be easily fixed

Because he's undersized. He's going to give up so much effort just to try and take a rebound against these guys. Bosh is 6'11 1/2 in shoes, 2 inches taller than Vonleh. You're about measurements, that 2 inches makes a difference.