Author Topic: If not Embiid, will Danny draft Vonleh based on needs?  (Read 17061 times)

Re: If not Embiid, will Danny draft Vonleh based on needs?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 03:23:21 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree about Vonleh's potential, I think he could easily become a perennial All-Star in the future.  Its not often that you find bigs who are long, athletic and can contribute on both ends of the floor.  I think he's going to become one of the surprises of this draft when all is said and done.

His IQ and passing skills may not be off the charts, but when you have either Sully or Olynyk at the other frontcourt position I don't think that's a huge problem.

He reminds me of a kind of Amare / Bosh / Hortford hybrid.  An Amare Boshford? 

I have no doubt he could be an effective center at the NBA level.  He may only be 6'10" but his insane length combined with his combination of strength and athleticism tells me he'll play bigger than he is.  Remember Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousins are both only 6'10 - 6'11" and both have been effective at Center.  Alonzo Mourning was only 6'10" in shoes and was a beast at Center.

Don't know about him being a #4 choice though.  Hard to select him if either Wiggins, Embiid, Parker or Exum is still available.  He'd be battling with Marcus Smart for my #5 choice...though there's a chance I'd take him over Parker (who I'm not convinced about)

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Drafting for needs is fantasy basketball usually GMs take the best player available as they will have more value down the road.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think there is zero chance that Danny Ainge drafts based on need in the top 10.

This.  We need talent, period.  No matter what position it is at.  We will be draft best player available.

And, if he wants to win games next year, I think there is zero chance that we keep the pick if it's outside the top 3 or 4 (depending on how he sees Exum).

I don't think wins are a primary concern to the C's next year.  I'm guessing we'd have to be blown away to accept a trade offer for our pick.

I also think there is zero chance Danny Ainge bats an eye at trading Green if he thinks there is a better 3 to be had, or a good haul from the trade. If he can get a better, higher ceilinged, or replacement level 3 that helps clear cap space for 2015 he'll pull the trigger.

Agreed.  I'd be shocked if both Rondo and Green are both on this team for the entirety of next season.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
we have so many holes on our team you can argue every position is a need for drafting except pg
i'm sure we'll have some players traded also, ainge will have different packages together so we might not have a log jam at power forward

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Drafting for needs is fantasy basketball usually GMs take the best player available as they will have more value down the road.

Yes, but Vonleh is projected to go within the range of our pick. It's not as though we're discussing Ainge taking a non top 10 talent (Payne for example) just to fill our need inside. So if we can get one of the best players available and fill a need simultaneously, then I think Vonleh becomes a no-brainer selection.

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 08:08:58 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm definitely intrigued by Nurkic with our second pick.  The kid doesn't look like he can jump over a sheet of paper, but he's big, he's strong, he's skilled, and he appears to be able to move the feet.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Draft best player available, not based on need. Especially when you have a top 10 pick.

If the Celtics are drafting with a top 5-6 pick, Vonleh will not be the best player available nor do I think Danny takes him there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 08:29:22 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Draft best player available, not based on need. Especially when you have a top 10 pick.

If the Celtics are drafting with a top 5-6 pick, Vonleh will not be the best player available nor do I think Danny takes him there.

But he's within range. Draft Express and Chad Ford both have him ranked 7th, while Draft Net (less credible than the other two) has him ranked 6th.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
When push comes to shove Danny will not draft for need he will draft the best player available. More then likely if the Cs fall outside the top 3 (4 if parker declares) the Cs will trade their pick. I can see them either trading for a vet or trading to move down to a player they see as a value in the later lottery while picking up additional assets.

As fare as Vonleh goes I do not think he will be a full time center in the NBA. At last years hoop summit he measured in with a 8'10" standing reach. This is 2" shorter then most NBA centers. Currently Al Horford and Joakim Noah start at center with sub 9' standing reaches but they are the exceptions and not the norm. If DA is drafting for need Vonleh doesn't fit as he will be a 4 in the NBA.

However Vonleh is a really interesting prospect who should take a couple of year to develop. He has good size and mobility at the 4, a good base of perimeter skills, and is an elite college rebounder. I could see him as a more mature Andray Blatche type player. A big 4 who can take guys off the dribble and cover some minutes at the 5.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

But he's within range. Draft Express and Chad Ford both have him ranked 7th, while Draft Net (less credible than the other two) has him ranked 6th.

I understand that.  The only situation I see Danny taking him (maybe) is if the worst case scenario happens with the slotting and they fall I the draft order a few slots.

I just don't see Danny taking Vonleh with a top 6 pick, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Would love to see the quotes from Danny where he said he would draft for need in this draft because I just do not believe he would say that or even imply that. Almost all of the people close to Ainge say his drafting philosophy is to take best player available and he has mentioned this on more than one occasion himself.

OP, are you just reading between the lines making your own assumptions or did he say he would draft for need? If he did, an actual quote would be great.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It is possible that the best player available and our prime need will intersect in this draft. The question is whether Vonleigh meets the "need" quotient.  The OP has made a case that he should be considered as a type of Horford 5.  I just don't see him having the same BBIQ of Horford, who is the son of an NBA player, and as hokey as that sounds, really seems to be a good barometer for BBIQ.  See Kobe Bryant, Steph Curry, etc. (ignore Austin Rivers thought!!)

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Great video by draft express that breaks down his strengths and weaknesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtlJ0fP_wA

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
When push comes to shove Danny will not draft for need he will draft the best player available. More then likely if the Cs fall outside the top 3 (4 if parker declares) the Cs will trade their pick. I can see them either trading for a vet or trading to move down to a player they see as a value in the later lottery while picking up additional assets.

However Vonleh is a really interesting prospect who should take a couple of year to develop. He has good size and mobility at the 4, a good base of perimeter skills, and is an elite college rebounder. I could see him as a more mature Andray Blatche type player. A big 4 who can take guys off the dribble and cover some minutes at the 5.
I agree that it's a decent possibility if the C's don't land in the top 3 (right now their in the 5 slot and could end up tied for 4th at best and tied for 5th at worst) that Danny trades the pick for a player and a lower lottery pick.  After the top 4 prospects, I think there's about another 5 prospects or so that are more or less equal and none of them fit the core needs of the team - C or SG.  Might as well pick up a couple of assets rather than just 1.  I could see Danny lining up a draft day deal where he picks someone at 5 for another team and that team picks someone for Danny a few picks later. 

I just have a gut feeling a deal with Sac happens where Danny swaps the top pick to Sac for Mclemore and their #1 pick.  I have no desire to obtain Mclemore but he's a SG that we could use and see if Brad can develop him.  if he pans out, he can push AB to the bench were he belongs as a more-effective, change-of-pace guard.  I could see Danny snagging Vonleh at that point to see if he can become a 4/5 like KO.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'm definitely intrigued by Nurkic with our second pick.  The kid doesn't look like he can jump over a sheet of paper, but he's big, he's strong, he's skilled, and he appears to be able to move the feet.

Me too.  However, will he still be available at #18? 

Danny should take the BPA with both picks, IMHO.  We are a long ways off from being a true contender, so I can't imagine why he would trade the higher first-round pick.