Author Topic: Evan Turner  (Read 5712 times)

Re: Evan Turner
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I hated, with a capital H, Turner's game in Philly. What he has done to the Pacers has only quadrupled my hatred of his game.

Capital N. Capital O.

what he has supposedly done to the Pacers is totally exaggerated. The fault is Bird's, not Turners. There was a very good article on the Bleacher Report talking about how the problem is that both Turner and Stephenson are young free agents this summer, so both are trying to get the stats they believe they need to land a big contract. If Bird had kept Granger, an older vet with no illusions, and let Stephenson do his thing, the Pacers would be ok.

Turner is a very talented young player who would be a great addition if we can get him for the right price.

I think that's a bit shortsighted. Granger was a negative on the court. Turner, while a flawed player, was an attempt to improve the team. I'm not really sure where the blame lies here, if it does at all. Who knows what they may or may not have done if they'd made no trade . The Blazers started out nearly as hot offensively as the Pacers did defensively and they made no moves but still cooled off. The Pacers kept the best defense in the NBA but they just couldn't win games.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I hated, with a capital H, Turner's game in Philly. What he has done to the Pacers has only quadrupled my hatred of his game.

Capital N. Capital O.

what he has supposedly done to the Pacers is totally exaggerated. The fault is Bird's, not Turners.

Really?  Because I don't see Larry Bird taking the court.  Nor does he decide the players' minutes.  That's all up to coach Vogel.  And it wasn't Larry Bird calling Evan Turner 'Selfish', that was his own teammate Hibbert.

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Capital N. Capital O.

what he has supposedly done to the Pacers is totally exaggerated. The fault is Bird's, not Turners.

Really?  Because I don't see Larry Bird taking the court.  Nor does he decide the players' minutes.  That's all up to coach Vogel.  And it wasn't Larry Bird calling Evan Turner 'Selfish', that was his own teammate Hibbert.

maybe you missed the rest of my post, or just cut it out to misrepresent my statement. Either way, as I said, Bird is the GM, he decided to bring in a young, talented player on an expiring contract that plays the same position as his other young, talented player on an expiring contract. Both of those players have sharing issues, and are trying to inflate their stats for their next deal. It was a mistake. A gamble worth trying for, but still a mistake.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This whole thing is a bummer for Turner.

He gets traded from one of the worst franchises in the nba to one of the best, probably thinking that his career will be turned around for the better. Instead, he is blamed for the [supposed] collapse of the Pacers (who are still #1) even though he is just a bench player.

I am not a huge fan of Turner's attitude, but on a small contract I would be willing to give him a shot.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This whole thing is a bummer for Turner.

He gets traded from one of the worst franchises in the nba to one of the best, probably thinking that his career will be turned around for the better. Instead, he is blamed for the [supposed] collapse of the Pacers (who are still #1) even though he is just a bench player.
Given that he's played very poorly for the Pacers I don't feel bad for him.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
A shooting guard who can't shoot, and can't defend. He looks good, just doesn't play good. I sympathize with anyone who implodes like that on a national stage. ...but I would not be psyched to have a player to whom I feel sympathy on my favorite team. Sorry buddy.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just curious what everyone thinks about Evan Turner and the possibility of going after him this summer.

I see he'll be a RFA. Maybe Indy keeps him and would open to dealing him to the Celts for either Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace.

He seems to be a player that would work well with Rondo's up-tempo style of play.

"Up-tempo style of play"? There have been like fifty posts on the board the past few days about how his play is exactly the opposite!

Admittedly, I am not an expert on the play of one Evan Turner (guess maybe I should be if I start a thread about him.) I just remember him when he was with the Sixers, he was very good offensively and always seemed to be a thorn on the Celts side.

Haven't really seen much of him in Indy (of course I haven't really seen much of the awful NBA product this year in general.)

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Capital N. Capital O.

maybe you missed the rest of my post, or just cut it out to misrepresent my statement. Either way, as I said, Bird is the GM, he decided to bring in a young, talented player on an expiring contract that plays the same position as his other young, talented player on an expiring contract. Both of those players have sharing issues, and are trying to inflate their stats for their next deal. It was a mistake. A gamble worth trying for, but still a mistake.

But if Turner is so "young and talented" he would have a) performed better regardless and b) Vogel would have found a better way to use him in their offense. Turner might be young but I just don't see him as talented.

I understand the whole "two guys fighting for contract" argument, but I dont see it working in the situation. If Turner was as talented as he is made out to be then he would have performed better since the trade. Instead Turner has averaged a whopping 6.8 points per game and just 3 rebounds in 21 minutes while shooting only 39% from the field.  In 26 games he has 3, 20 point games and only reached double digit scoring 5 times. Regardless of who is fighting for what contract he is still only shooting 39% from the field when coming off the bench he should be able to play more efficient ball for a contending team.

And to further debunk the "two guys fighting for a contract" argument. Stephenson's numbers have barely changed. he is averaging 13.5 points per game in the 26 games Turner has been here (his season average is 13.8 )  and is actually shooting 51.5% from the field (his season average is 49%).

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Lance's decline hasn't been his shooting, instead he's been getting few assists while turning it over at roughly the same rate. But that decline started 2 weeks before Turner showed up as well.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
re: the Pacers -- I'm just going to assume no one saw the quote/link I put in the 'Pacers imploding thread'

Cool article insight bump:

What you see is that The Five of the Pacers have played — on average — almost 300 minutes more per player than the top 5 for Houston, who hold the second most minutes. That’s 10 30-minute player games per player. The difference becomes even more exaggerated (almost 700 minutes per player) when you compare to paragons of economy: Greg Popovich’s San Antonio Spurs.

But, it’s not just this year. It’s important to remember that only two teams played deeper into last summer than the Pacers. If you expand the data to incorporate the 2013 regular season and playoffs, the gap grows.

The almost 500 more minutes than Miami’s top five means an extra 17 30-minute games – on average – per Pacer starter. The gaps to the other teams are near or above 1,000 minutes per player.

On an individual basis, the numbers skew even higher. Of the 565 players who have seen at least 1 minute of NBA play over the last two seasons (including playoffs), only 27 have logged more than Hibbert’s 5,295. Once again, Hibbert has the lowest total of his starting brethren, which means that all five Pacer starters are in the 96th percentile or above.

Paul George leads the way, with his 6,575 minutes being only 13 fewer than LeBron James, who has logged the most minutes. George Hill has played the 12th most minutes, Lance Stephenson the 15th, and David West 20th. These figures are buoyed by the Pacers’ deep run last year, which means the team has played 178 games since opening night of 2013. Coming into play on April 8th, only Miami (181) and San Antonio (180) had played more.

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/04/09/numbers-consider-pacers-fatigue/
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.