Author Topic: The Atlanta Hawks have the second longest playoff streak in basketball  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Heard that this morning and was surprised.  Spurs are 1st with 17 straight followed by the Hawks who after clinching a spot over the weekend have made the playoffs 7 straight seasons (the Lakers were second, but their streak of 8 ended this year).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Saw some stat last week that Tim Duncan, alone, has more 50 win seasons than 26 NBA teams have in their team histories. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
wow. hawks are the model for consistent mediocrity then. sucks for them. in their defense,  this is also thanks to a consistently weak eastern conference.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Saw some stat last week that Tim Duncan, alone, has more 50 win seasons than 26 NBA teams have in their team histories.

For the completist:

https://twitter.com/BWB76/status/451202640601313280/photo/1

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

For the completist:

https://twitter.com/BWB76/status/451202640601313280/photo/1

That stat is mind-blowing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wow, that is incredible.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Congrats, Hawks are the definition of a treadmill team. Look for them to blow it up soon and tank it out just like we are doing.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Congrats, Hawks are the definition of a treadmill team. Look for them to blow it up soon and tank it out just like we are doing.

This is nothing about you, really, but the entire concept of a treadmill team has been the most annoying conceit of the 2014 NBA fanbase. Far and away, as far as I'm concerned.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
well they have in many respects done that already.  I mean Al Horford is the only guy on the team that has been on all 7 of the playoff teams (though he is hurt right now obviously).  Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Mike Bibby joined Al as the starting 5 in the playoffs.  This year if Horford was playing he would be joined by Teague, Korver, Carroll, and Millsap.  They basically blew the crap up and started over around Horford. 

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
The thread title is a little misleading. Australia's Perth Wildcats hold the longest playoff streak in basketball. 28 straight seasons in the playoffs starting in 1987 and still counting.

Re: The Atlanta Hawks have the second longest playoff streak in basketball
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The thread title is a little misleading. Australia's Perth Wildcats hold the longest playoff streak in basketball. 28 straight seasons in the playoffs starting in 1987 and still counting.
except that I posted this in the "Around the NBA" thread, not the other basketball forum.  Thread location does matter.

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
except that I posted this in the "Around the NBA" thread, not the other basketball forum.  Thread location does matter.

Except you wrote 'basketball' not 'NBA', and the forum name doesn't show up on the Latest Forum Topics list.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This is nothing about you, really, but the entire concept of a treadmill team has been the most annoying conceit of the 2014 NBA fanbase. Far and away, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't fault you for finding the concept annoying, but it seem a fair assessment of where the Hawks have been over most of the past decade, doesn't it?

They peaked as a second round team and never really got better.  With Horford suffering so many injuries the past few years, it really seems like they're going to have to tear things down a bit before they can get significantly better.  Atlanta isn't a free agent definition by any stretch of the imagination, and they have a largely apathetic fanbase.

The Hawks should be commended for a long run of relatively competitive seasons, but they haven't really been a truly exciting team during that timeframe, except for some Josh Smith dunks and Joe Johnson game winners (in the regular season).

I'd love it if the NBA were structured in such a way that a team run like the Hawks couldn't be said to be getting in their own way.  But it's kind of true.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Except you wrote 'basketball' not 'NBA', and the forum name doesn't show up on the Latest Forum Topics list.
well sure, but once you go to the thread it is right at the top of the page.  Not my fault you failed to pay attention to the entirety of the situation.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I can't fault you for finding the concept annoying, but it seem a fair assessment of where the Hawks have been over most of the past decade, doesn't it?

They peaked as a second round team and never really got better.  With Horford suffering so many injuries the past few years, it really seems like they're going to have to tear things down a bit before they can get significantly better.  Atlanta isn't a free agent definition by any stretch of the imagination, and they have a largely apathetic fanbase.

The Hawks should be commended for a long run of relatively competitive seasons, but they haven't really been a truly exciting team during that timeframe, except for some Josh Smith dunks and Joe Johnson game winners (in the regular season).

I'd love it if the NBA were structured in such a way that a team run like the Hawks couldn't be said to be getting in their own way.  But it's kind of true.

Sure, but you almost never hear the phrase brought out unless it's an example of why the team should blow it up and bottom out -- to 'avoid being a treadmill team.' It's never brought up around a team like the Rockets, who had a solid string of 50 win teams while building around, variously, Yao Ming, T-Mac, Free Throws, James Harden, and Dwight Howard, even though they're just as much of a 'treadmill of mediocrity' team as the Hawks or Milwaukee.