Author Topic: Besides Drafting a Player, What is Ainge's One "Must" of the Summer?  (Read 4831 times)

Re: Besides Drafting a Player, What is Ainge's One "Must" of the Summer?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
leverage his creepy Mormon influence to make Jabari Parker declare for the draft and then immediately say "I intend to go on a 2 year mission to Africa".... so that he can slip to us at #6 ... to which he will then clarify, "... after I retire from the NBA"
NICE LOL TP!!!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Taking some time off work to go on a weekend holiday with the Mrs ought to be close to the top of that must do list
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The one must is...

To establish the plan for the next 3-5 years.

Last off-season deconstructed the team.

This off-season DA needs to establish if the Celtics will

A. use assets to build around Rondo and be relevant next season
                   or
B. Move Rondo to build around youth and be a lottery team again next season. 

Now with option A im not saying have to trade for Love or land Melo. Trading for a player like Asik and  improving the bench would bring the Cs into the playoffs without losing all the assets that DA has accumulated. Leaving room to improve and the possibility of  landing a star in the future.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Get an actual center on our roster and thin out our glut of powerforwards probably by trading bass and letting humphries walk.

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The one must is...

To establish the plan for the next 3-5 years.

Last off-season deconstructed the team.

This off-season DA needs to establish if the Celtics will

A. use assets to build around Rondo and be relevant next season
                   or
B. Move Rondo to build around youth and be a lottery team again next season. 

Now with option A im not saying have to trade for Love or land Melo. Trading for a player like Asik and  improving the bench would bring the Cs into the playoffs without losing all the assets that DA has accumulated. Leaving room to improve and the possibility of  landing a star in the future.

The price for Asik has plummeted, I would imagine.  I think Danny does this trade and continues to add "assets" through the draft.

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Build through the draft and trade Rondo for the best deal possible. He's preventing the full rebuild and will be gone after next year anyways.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd expect Rondo to be here at the start of next season and showcased while he's healthy.
Although, unless Danny can pull a rabbit out of a hat again and somehow land 2 more stars by next off season I see Rondo being traded at one point or another- and Danny will know trade deadline 2015 whether there's a sniff of anything worthwhile.

No 2007 fireworks repeats and either way with Rondo or without Rondo our team will be terrible- but young.
It will be far worse than this year because Ainge likely clears out Bass, Green etc and may keep Avery if he's cheap- cheap being 4 million or less.
If Ainge can get Love, he'll bring in Asik or Sanders with some other picks. I'd then assume he'd go after Afflalo or Lance Stephenson with another mid/late first rounder. I still think we're another scorer away from being a top 6 team but a healthy squad of:

Rondo
Afflalo or Stephenson
Green
Love
Asik or Sanders

is going reasonably deep and perhaps ECF if we get lucky with injuries.

The most likely scenario?

A team with a starting 5 of:
Rondo
Bradley or rookie
Rookie
Sully
Rookie

with Olynyk and some other guys off the bench making up a squad that is going no where.
I think either Jeff Green or Avery Bradley are gone next season. Jeff is the most likely to go, as is Bass.
Humphries will be gone too and we'll be terrible but we'll have Rondo at better health and proving his worth.

If we ran that team out on the floor for next season, rolled the dice and waited till the off season to resign Rondo and go after some other FA's or expiring stars like Love with our assets and draft picks that may be the plan.
I think the most likely scenario I expect is for next season to be a poorer version of this season.
Rondo won't be out for half the season but we'll lose the veteran input from Green+Bass+Hump and without Jordan Crawford our scoring will stink as usual.

Maybe 30 wins next year if Rondo makes the whole season and we get some decent shooters.
More likely 25 if Green and Bass/Hump are all gone.

My wish in a non 'fireworks' season would be to have
Rondo
Sully
Olynyk
2014 pick 1 (hopeful All Star)
2014 pick 2 (rim protector)
Chris Johnson
Pressey
Wallace
with some solid locker room veterans to help guide our rookies.
Stink it up one more year and go for trade gold to help Rondo or trade gold by trading Rondo for a top 5 pick.

Bass gone
Green gone
Bradley gone
Hump gone unless he's mega cheap and wants to be guiding the rooks.

I really want Jabari or Wiggins but I see us taking Exum or Smart with the 5th pick if we miss out on top 3.
Could be a nice combo having either one of them with Rondo- as Stephens mentioned he likes playing two point guards at once ala Phoenix.

Also I've seen Cauley Stein mentioned by a few people but I'm pretty sure he announced he's going back to school.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:43:12 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While I believe that Danny would trade Rondo if the right trade comes along, I just don't buy into the belief that Danny will actively shop Rondo and make a concerted effort to move him. I believe Danny thinks extremely highly of Rondo and thinks he is the key to being able to attract other star players to come here.

Rondo is here for a while, IMHO. I think a whole lot of people are going to be surprised when his contract is extended rather than  Rondo being traded.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
While I believe that Danny would trade Rondo if the right trade comes along, I just don't buy into the belief that Danny will actively shop Rondo and make a concerted effort to move him. I believe Danny thinks extremely highly of Rondo and thinks he is the key to being able to attract other star players to come here.

Rondo is here for a while, IMHO. I think a whole lot of people are going to be surprised when his contract is extended rather than  Rondo being traded.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially the bolded part.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially the bolded part.

I 2nd that...he'll trade Rondo ONLY if the right offer is made, but I doubt he is shopping Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Double agree with Nick.  Further, I think there's a good chance the extension happens this summer at less than the maximum that he'll be eligible for in the summer of 2015. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if we draft anyone with our top pick...we aint keeping him very long.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Why not with next years pick? If we don't make a trade we'll stink again and a trade could be made by the deadline, or a sign and trade could be arranged. He doesn't have to be traded on 2014 draft night.
Ainge might wanna showcase him and them listen to offers if they start coming in.
Perhaps end up with our own 2015 lotto pick and another one for Rondo with and extension.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Why not with next years pick? If we don't make a trade we'll stink again and a trade could be made by the deadline, or a sign and trade could be arranged. He doesn't have to be traded on 2014 draft night.
Ainge might wanna showcase him and them listen to offers if they start coming in.
Perhaps end up with our own 2015 lotto pick and another one for Rondo with and extension.
High picks, like top 5 are usually almost never traded mid way through their first season. It happened to Thomas Robinson a couple years ago and most people were pretty shocked by it.

But I think if a trade is going to be made for the picks this year it happens on draft day or after next season.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Stink it up one more year and go for trade gold to help Rondo or trade gold by trading Rondo for a top 5 pick.

Bass gone
Green gone
Bradley gone
Hump gone unless he's mega cheap and wants to be guiding the rooks.

I know this has been gone over and over and over but I remain astonished at people who think "being bad=being good".

Mike