Author Topic: An offseason scenario  (Read 3491 times)

An offseason scenario
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rondo hater...

Assuming the C's and lakers both land a top 4 pick and Embiid is on the board when we pick...
C's draft Embiid
Trade rr to lakers for their pick
C's pick exum
Pick slow mo or Harrell with 18

2015 rotation
Exum, pressey
Bradley slow mo
Green, Wallace, slo mo
Oly, sully
Embiid, sully

Young, promising team with a few years of development ahead of them.

Re: An offseason scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I rather doubt any team is going to trade a top 5 pick in this draft for Rondo, but I could see a scenario involving a draft day trade of Rondo for a pick in the 6-10 range (plus another nice young player or two). 

Celtics would be aiming to be really competitive 3-4 years from now, assuming the picks work out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I rather doubt any team is going to trade a top 5 pick in this draft for Rondo, but I could see a scenario involving a draft day trade of Rondo for a pick in the 6-10 range (plus another nice young player or two). 

Celtics would be aiming to be really competitive 3-4 years from now, assuming the picks work out.

Rondo is really undervalues by some in this board. He is a top 5 pg with more will to win than most.
Kobe loves him and the lakers want to win now. Kobe's enormous contract on a rebuilding team is pointless. They will try and build a vet team around him. Rondo, kobe, gassol is a good start.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I agree that not ANY team will give up a top 5 pick for Rondo. But the Lakers aren't just any team, as arctic points out above. I think that they would do it.

They are a team with a two 2-3 year window to win now. Kobe is on the books for approx $60 million over the next two years. With that commitment, they have to get him some help now, and NO rookie in this draft can bring him that immediate help.

They need to trade for veterans. We know there is a lot of respect between Rondo and Kobe. As Kobe slows down, he will need the ball in his hands less often, which fits into Rondo's game better.

Rondo for Nash, Xavier Henry and their first (1-5), I'd do. I think they would too.

TP to the OP.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rondo hater...

Assuming the C's and lakers both land a top 4 pick and Embiid is on the board when we pick...
C's draft Embiid
Trade rr to lakers for their pick
C's pick exum
Pick slow mo or Harrell with 18

2015 rotation
Exum, pressey
Bradley slow mo
Green, Wallace, slo mo
Oly, sully
Embiid, sully

Young, promising team with a few years of development ahead of them.

1. Harrell is going back for another year at Louisville

2. Boston needs veterans just as much as LA would.

3. I would not trade Rondo for a top 5 pick in any draft.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

1996? 1983?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Rondo is really undervalues by some in this board. He is a top 5 pg with more will to win than most.
Kobe loves him and the lakers want to win now. Kobe's enormous contract on a rebuilding team is pointless. They will try and build a vet team around him. Rondo, kobe, gassol is a good start.

True but his lack of shooting really kills him. I'd take Rondo over Deron Williams any day but I doubt we'd get the haul Utah got for him.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

1996? 1983?
I assume you mean '84 not '83.  top 5 in that draft, no.  only if it was Olajuwon or Jordan.  Barkley maybe.  Perkins, nice player but a tier 2 like Rondo.  Bowie, a lot of upside but too many injuries even before the draft.  Dinner Bell Mel, no thanks.  That was the top 6 from that draft who were considered way above everyone else.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The Lakers are not trading a top 4 pick for Rondo. I do think they entertain the idea with a pick 7th or later.

If Parker comes out then 4,5,6 could get the Lakers Exum, Randle or Smart. I think they draft one of these guys. After that they will look to move the pick.

I expect the Cs to move their pick or Rondo if they don't land a top 3 pick. After Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker the next 4 players likely to be picked are all poor fits with the current Cs. Exum and Smart are capable of playing SG but will be more productive at PG. This leaves Rondo's long term viability in question. Randle and Vonleh are both PFs who will be poor fits with the Cs already having Sully and KO. SO either Rondo is traded, the pick is traded, or Stevens is left to make it work till in season trade deadline.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I wouldn't trade Rondo for any pick in this draft. Yeah, there are some potential stars, but much less certainty. No Anthony Davis in this draft, for example. Rondo is a top 5 pg, and has actually become a decent shooter (he's struggling in the paint this year, almost certainly b/c he's not 100% post-surgery just yet). Other drafts, sure, I'd consider trading Rondo. This year? No chance.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not particularly interested in putting together a kiddie corps.

Would I trade Rondo otherwise? You bet. Especially as a sweetener that lands me Kevin Love - and no, I don't believe a word on Real GM, let alone the Glen Taylor story.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."