Author Topic: Rank our assets!  (Read 11069 times)

Re: Rank our assets!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Mr October must expect us to be awful again next season if he put our 2015 pick above Sully. 

I think it's a couple things:

1. In general, teams in the new CBA seem to value 1st round picks a lot higher than players who aren't All-Stars.

2. Chances are, most GMs in the league expect the Celtics (a ~25 win team this year) to be a lottery team again next year.

I think there's also a good chance Sullinger is not valued quite as highly around the league as he might be around here.  I think it's possible a good number of GMs look at him and wonder "Is he just a rebounding version of Glen Davis?"

Yes. First round picks and the lure of the unknown, unprotected potential are trendy right now. I do think the Celtics are lottery bound next year, but if Ainge is ready to cash in other assets for a good center, the C's might return to the playoffs sooner than expected.

And Sully has some nice potential. But an unprotected lottery pick is worth more i think. Right now he is a below average starting big man, who has yet to prove that he has the speed to play and defend at power forward for over 32 minutes per night.

Having said that i have no problem taking it slow and rolling out our current roster plus 2 rookies and a fill in center next year. I hope we get to see a more in shape Sully next year.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I'm upset totally mystified with rebuilding strategy .

I'm for keeping Rondo......he might talk a true star into joining the Celtics one year before he turns 35.
But.....
I think Rondo maybe traded draft night for the right deal .....maybe Lakers pick ?  Detroit player and pick?

Sully and KO are our future ....Rondo might not make it.....unless Danny can get a couple stars to come help him......like Melo I guess.

Like to see AB , Bass , Pressey , and Hump traded for One great player

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:16 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm upset totally mystified with rebuilding strategy .

I'm for keeping Rondo......he might talk a true star into joining the Celtics one year before he turns 35.
But.....
I think Rondo maybe traded draft night for the right deal .....maybe Lakers pick ?  Detroit player and pick?

Sully and KO are our future ....Rondo might not make it.....unless Danny can get a couple stars to come help him......like Melo I guess.

Like to see AB , Bass , Pressey , and Hump traded for One great player
None of this is realistic.  You aren't getting a great player for those guys.  Not. Even. Close.

And you probably aren't getting the laker pick for rondo.

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Most people who replied on this thread felt that our most valuable asset was a top 6 pick.  This over Rondo.   Now it appears that the Lakers may get the #6 pick, which is more valuable than Rondo (unless there is some logic that the Lakers #6 pick is less valuable than the Celtics #6 pick).

My question then is does everyone who said the #6 pick was our top asset also feel that we should trade Rondo to the Lakers for their #6 pick?  (I know the lottery will determine what pick the Lakers get and it could be lower than #6 but I hope everyone sees where I am trying to go with this).

If not, please try to explain.  I ask this because it seems that "most" seem to not want to trade Rondo for a pick.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Most people who replied on this thread felt that our most valuable asset was a top 6 pick.  This over Rondo.   Now it appears that the Lakers may get the #6 pick, which is more valuable than Rondo (unless there is some logic that the Lakers #6 pick is less valuable than the Celtics #6 pick).

My question then is does everyone who said the #6 pick was our top asset also feel that we should trade Rondo to the Lakers for their #6 pick?  (I know the lottery will determine what pick the Lakers get and it could be lower than #6 but I hope everyone sees where I am trying to go with this).

If not, please try to explain.  I ask this because it seems that "most" seem to not want to trade Rondo for a pick.

Despite the title, the ranking is based on trade value, not basketball value. The (somewhat valid) argument for the draft pick having more trade value than Rondo is that you'd have many more potential trade partners for a draft pick than Rondo because all of the teams with point guards in place would be interested in the draft pick. That's completely different than whether the player that's drafted 6th would be more valuable to have on your roster.

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Despite the title, the ranking is based on trade value, not basketball value. The (somewhat valid) argument for the draft pick having more trade value than Rondo is that you'd have many more potential trade partners for a draft pick than Rondo because all of the teams with point guards in place would be interested in the draft pick. That's completely different than whether the player that's drafted 6th would be more valuable to have on your roster.

Also Rondo is a risk to bolt in free agency after 1 year. The top 6 pick is virtually locked in for 8 years. That hurts his trade value.

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Also Rondo is a risk to bolt in free agency after 1 year. The top 6 pick is virtually locked in for 8 years. That hurts his trade value.

Maybe a little. One would assume that whoever wanted to trade for him would negotiate an extension before the trade went through.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Maybe a little. One would assume that whoever wanted to trade for him would negotiate an extension before the trade went through.

For some reason i thought that was no longer allowed when making trades under the current CBA.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

For some reason i thought that was no longer allowed when making trades under the current CBA.

Maybe not officially negotiate, but at least discuss the framework for a deal. Even if it's off the record. Let's put it this way, I don't think anyone would trade for him without having a discussion with his agent first.

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

Sorry but I still don't follow the logic if what you are saying is that you would not trade Rondo for the Lakers #6 pick.  The Lakers are one of those teams that needs a PG and would value Rondo.  Why wouldn't we seize the opportunity and trade the lower value (Rondo) for the higher value (#6 pick)?

In terms of resigning, wouldn't the Lakers have a high chance of resigning Rondo?  If we trade Rondo for the pick, doesn't that problem become the Lakers problem?  Isn't Rondo's value what the highest bidder is willing to give to us?

Again, If what is being argued is that the #6 pick is worth more than Rondo on the "market" but you would not actually trade Rondo for the #6 pick, I just don't understand the logic.  For the record, I think we could get a little more than a #6 pick for Rondo and so I ranked Rondo as our highest value asset.

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sorry but I still don't follow the logic if what you are saying is that you would not trade Rondo for the Lakers #6 pick.  The Lakers are one of those teams that needs a PG and would value Rondo.  Why wouldn't we seize the opportunity and trade the lower value (Rondo) for the higher value (#6 pick)?

In terms of resigning, wouldn't the Lakers have a high chance of resigning Rondo?  If we trade Rondo for the pick, doesn't that problem become the Lakers problem?  Isn't Rondo's value what the highest bidder is willing to give to us?

Again, If what is being argued is that the #6 pick is worth more than Rondo on the "market" but you would not actually trade Rondo for the #6 pick, I just don't understand the logic.  For the record, I think we could get a little more than a #6 pick for Rondo and so I ranked Rondo as our highest value asset.

Because Rondo, over the course of his career, has been significantly better than the typical #6 pick. If you look at the arguments for why a #6 pick would be more valuable they generally aren't based on quality or impact. They're based mainly on contracts or age or other team's needs. I've discussed this in the past, but stars in their prime are rarely traded unless their team has to because the deals rarely improve the team that trades them.

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think the list generally goes:

1. Our picks 2014/15
2. Rondo-Sully
3. Other teams picks owned by us
4. Olynyk/Bradley/Green
5. 2nd round picks
6. Expirings and Trade Exceptions
7. Everyone else

- LilRip

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I'm sure this must have been brought up on other threads, but the latest Sterling flap is likely to have some impact on the value of one of our assets.  Next year's Clips is unprotected and as we all know, is ours.

Minimally, the Clips will experience some disarray in the off-season that will spill over into next season.  It's possible that this has minimal impact on wins and losses, but it's also possible that the volatility causes some loose focus and some emotional fallout.   The possibility also exists that Doc Rivers exits, that no one wants to take his place, and perhaps some of the players will demand trades or decide to take some time away from the team.  If trade demands occur, LA has very little leverage and players coming in could come in angry.   Free agent signings will be pretty difficult too.

If the current issue goes on and Sterling holds firm and keeps the team and the players become increasingly bold in staring down their owner, 2014-15 could be very ugly.

I realize it's not in great taste to find a positive for the C's in this mess -- I know this has no importance next to the bigger issues here -- but this asset may already have started to compete in value with our own 2014-15 pick and sooner or later we'll be discussing it. 

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
i hope this whole clippers fiasco benefits us in more ways than just that pick we got from them.
LET'S GO CELTICS!