Author Topic: Idea: DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 3811 times)

Idea: DeMarcus Cousins
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Do you think there's any chance Shaq and the Kings even consider trading him without us giving them Rondo, Sully or Bradley?

I love his game, he's a bit crazy at moments, but he's already one of the best centers in the league with serious potential to be the best one day.

Green and bunch of picks for Boogie? What do you think?

I'm sorry if I made a mistake with posting this thread, I am knew to all of this. :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:23:07 PM by IlCapitano »
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

Re: Idea: DeMarcus Cousins
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think he's on the trade block.  If he was, though, I unfortunately think it would take at least Sully + our lottery pick + additional picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
I don't know if Gay is staying with them (I suppose not). In that case, they need a starting SF, which could be Green + our lottery pick + additional picks with which they could get replacement for Cousins.

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Here is your first TP.  IMO I think the only chance is if the Kings draft Embiid wanting a talented center on a cost controlled rookie deal, and put Cousins on the block.  Say if we offer our top pick this year (for example someone like Randle as a PF), 2 future firsts, expiring contracts of Bass, Anthony, and non guanteed contract Bogans might get it done.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'd love to get Cousins too, but no, there's no way we could get him without giving up Rondo, Sully, or Bradley. 

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:54 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
Here is your first TP.  IMO I think the only chance is if the Kings draft Embiid wanting a talented center on a cost controlled rookie deal, and put Cousins on the block.  Say if we offer our top pick this year (for example someone like Randle as a PF), 2 future firsts, expiring contracts of Bass, Anthony, and non guanteed contract Bogans might get it done.
Thanks. :D ;)

I know I'm bordering with NBA 2K logic here, but I would love to see a lineup of Rondo, Bradley, Sully, Cousins and lets say Deng as a FA... ;D

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't think he's on the trade block.  If he was, though, I unfortunately think it would take at least Sully + our lottery pick + additional picks.

Cousins seems very much in the same situation as Kevin Love (except Love can leave, so it is different) or Kyrie Irving. He's on a team that really isn't as close to contending or even making the playoffs as they should be, but they've been rebuilding for so long they've gotta cling to top tier talent if they've got it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Cousins seems very much in the same situation as Kevin Love (except Love can leave, so it is different) or Kyrie Irving. He's on a team that really isn't as close to contending or even making the playoffs as they should be, but they've been rebuilding for so long they've gotta cling to top tier talent if they've got it.

Yeah.  A one star model just doesn't work in today's NBA, unless that one star is Lebron.  All three of the guys you named needs to be paired with another star.

It's also the same problem the Celtics have:  Rondo will never win until he's given at least one elite-level running mate.  Unlike the other three, it's plausible that Rondo could be traded.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Yeah.  A one star model just doesn't work in today's NBA, unless that one star is Lebron.  All three of the guys you named needs to be paired with another star.

It's also the same problem the Celtics have:  Rondo will never win until he's given at least one elite-level running mate.  Unlike the other three, it's plausible that Rondo could be traded.

However, you could make the argument that a full season of Cousins + Gay + Thomas, as well as a full offseason/preseason to stock the team with vets and install a system that's closer to what their head coach wants to run might put them in play for competing for the playoffs in 2015.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

However, you could make the argument that a full season of Cousins + Gay + Thomas, as well as a full offseason/preseason to stock the team with vets and install a system that's closer to what their head coach wants to run might put them in play for competing for the playoffs in 2015.

In the West right now...whew. OKC, PDX, GSW, LAC, they're sure fire playoffs next year . Then you've got 'I'm too old for this back to back ' SAS, improved Phoenix, Minny and New Orleans chomping at the bit, Memphis (who knows with Memphis?), man....the West is a murder's row. Good luck, Indian guy and Shaq.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If they added two really good, smart vets at PF and SG, they could potentially have something.  Like, figure out a way to add Anderson Varejao and Thabo Sefolosha, two role players who don't demand shots and who play defense.   I'm skeptical, but I guess you never know.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

If they added two really good, smart vets at PF and SG, they could potentially have something.  Like, figure out a way to add Anderson Varejao and Thabo Sefolosha, two role players who don't demand shots and who play defense.   I'm skeptical, but I guess you never know.
They also have their lottery pick (currently at 7 I think).  Say they get Vonleh at that spot (who I think would be a pretty good compliment for Cousins), if they keep Gay they have the start to a very nice team. 

And I don't think enough people realize just how good Cousins has been this year.  10th in ppg, 5th in rpg, 18th in bpg, 5th in PER. 

They are on the verge.  They need a good compliment to Cousins (Vonleh or Gordon would probably be ok there) and you are a right they need a big strong wing defender at the SG spot (especially with Thomas' height limitations).  If they added a couple of more veterans to their bench, I think they could be one of those surprise teams next year, like the Suns this year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I used to bring up Cousins trade ideas all last year, then he signed an extension. But if you look at Sacramentos POV why not?

They havent been able to build around him, they have been a bottom 10 team for what 20 years, they need another new starts with a failed Rudy Gay trade, and clear space with young contracts..

It would cost plent.. Sully, KO, 2 firsts unprotected after this years draft.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if we do not get the top 5 pick, I say trade that pick with Sullinger, even Kelly and fillers for Cousins...

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I would love to see Cousins here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin