Author Topic: well guess Kevin Love isn't getting traded this summer  (Read 13483 times)

Re: well guess Kevin Love isn't getting traded this summer
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

Offline Bingbangbarros

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
^

I wouldn't call Melo a ball-stopper at all. He has averaged over 3 APG for his career and is actually a pretty decent passer. You can't compare his passing numbers to LeBron's just because they are the same position.

Melo is the definition of a "ball stopper"

Here's an interesting list of players using parameters that I would use to define a player as a 'ball stoppers': over 25% USG and below 15% Assist rate:
http://bkref.com/tiny/q3Fbh

Without referring to stats or metrics I would say that he definitely is. He rarely moves the ball, he'll go through stretches when he does and that's when the team plays better. He catches the ball, sometimes taking an eternity to size his man up before he shoots or makes his move. If he can't get the shot off he'll pass. Everything stops when he get's the ball. That's my opinion anyway.

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If you look at that list you'll see that 'Melo hit those numbers last year (i.e. was a ball stopper) and hasn't this year (meaning he's been better about it).

I don't think anyone's going to say he'd rather pass the ball than shoot it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 09:29:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I am not a Melo fan and just don't like his overall game. Don't understand why so many Celtic fans want him but I am not worried because there is no way Ainge will trade for him anyway thankfully. Lot of better ways to rebuild other than Melo and I am sure Ainge will look into as many options as possible but I think he will make a major trade this summer, at the deadline in February, or next summer. He has too many assets not to do something big in the next year or so. The million dollar question is who we get when Ainge makes his next blockbuster trade. It sounds like Wyc is ready for a big trade within the next year or so also.

They want him because he is one of the few big name "assets" who it is possible to get in a trade. Similar to Love.

I'm not sure how many other options for these type of big name players there are. Wade? James? Cpaul? Nope. None of those players are on the trade block.

The next blockbuster trade might be 1+years away. in all seriousness.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think with Melo the key is how quickly he makes decisions after he gets the ball. When he makes quick decisions, he is a beautiful offensive player to watch. One of the best in the league. But when Melo makes slow decisions, the offense often stagnates. For me, that is when he is and isn't a ball-stopper.

I don't think assist numbers are a good reflection of that.

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 09:46:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I am not a Melo fan and just don't like his overall game. Don't understand why so many Celtic fans want him but I am not worried because there is no way Ainge will trade for him anyway thankfully. Lot of better ways to rebuild other than Melo and I am sure Ainge will look into as many options as possible but I think he will make a major trade this summer, at the deadline in February, or next summer. He has too many assets not to do something big in the next year or so. The million dollar question is who we get when Ainge makes his next blockbuster trade. It sounds like Wyc is ready for a big trade within the next year or so also.

Not that I'm necessarily looking to get him, but if I was Miami I'd start looking to trade Wade for a younger asset if the right move presented itself.
They want him because he is one of the few big name "assets" who it is possible to get in a trade. Similar to Love.

I'm not sure how many other options for these type of big name players there are. Wade? James? Cpaul? Nope. None of those players are on the trade block.

The next blockbuster trade might be 1+years away. in all seriousness.

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I thought the master plan of World Wide Wes was to get Melo in Lakerville, LBJ in New York, and the Gasol brothers back together somewhere.

Rondo, Jeff Green, and Brandon Bass could easily have new homes next season. I cannot foresee our core beyond AB, Sully, and Olynyk and I think that is a fine start to rebuilding but we need some superstar power to drive this Green Machine for the next five to seven years. Rondo, Green, and Bass ain't it.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232893/Timberwolves-Plan-To-Be-Active-On-Offseason-Trade-Market
The Minnesota Timberwolves plan to trade for help in the offseason after missing out on the playoffs once again.

Glen Taylor said the Timberwolves won't make a "big" trade.

The Timberwolves mo to 40-39 after beating the Houston Rockets on Friday.

Via Charley Walters/Pioneer Press

Melo or bust now? Or else get ready for a LONG rebuild . I'll take marc Gasol too   ;D

Yeah......the dumb headed Celtic mgmt let them screw up the last four games and ruin a chance at a decent draft pick....what idiots

So .....give Lakers Ebiiid .....so they can feel good about winning two pointless games ......

That's a firing  offense ...For somebody in mgmt.

So ...no center ....no Embiid......no love ......equals 22 years of being 7 0r 8 seed

Great news.

But wait ...we got Bradley , Pressey , and Bass ......oh boy