Author Topic: well guess Kevin Love isn't getting traded this summer  (Read 13524 times)

Re: well guess Kevin Love isn't getting traded this summer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I feel like he plays passable defense when he's engaged -- he played all right D on LeBron this time last year, if I remember correctly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Don't want Melo? Oh wow the man is having perhaps his best season all around...shooting 45% from field, over 40% from deep...averaging over 8 rebs...1.3 steals...nearly a block per....over 3 dimes....and can play both SF/PF?

The man simply overpowers most SFs....too agile for most PFs...is strong....

Gimme some Melo in Green!

To be honest I didn't like him much either...didn't seem too defensive minded. But after this season I've changed my mind. The man has put his head down, seemed to improve his game...stayed quiet for most part...hasn't made ANY demands.....

NY would probably be spiteful and demand the farm from us, but if he can be had reasonably I'd love him in Green.

To get someone that I'm sure is HUNGRY...approaching the twilight of his career? Sure I'd love him in BOS. Pair him with our Pass-First All-Star PG and you have 2nd round playoffs, right there.

Get Asik, too? We go deeper.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anthoca01.html

As for KLove? I'm still not sold on him staying in Minny.....

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
To me it's all about titles, not playoff berths, so I'm willing to stay patient and have that patience pay off with lottery pick this year and next.

You have to get to the playoffs before you can win a title.  How many teams have gone "worst to first" like Boston?

Mike

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Melo isn't coming here.  Why do people keep saying it's a possibility.  Also, Love was NEVER going to be traded this summer unless the TWolves were blown away with an offer. 

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 07:52:09 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
^

I wouldn't call Melo a ball-stopper at all. He has averaged over 3 APG for his career and is actually a pretty decent passer. You can't compare his passing numbers to LeBron's just because they are the same position.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
To me it's all about titles, not playoff berths, so I'm willing to stay patient and have that patience pay off with lottery pick this year and next.

You have to get to the playoffs before you can win a title.  How many teams have gone "worst to first" like Boston?

Mike

I'm not selling out for a quick fix. With Melo you basically have a 3-4 year window to win a title, but you'll have to do it without cap space. Not to mention that you better hope that either he or Rondo adapts well, and quickly, to having the ball in their hands a lot less often than they're used to. What happens when you do acquire that 3rd piece to go along with those two? What kind of player does he need to be that will mesh with those 2 ball dominant players? And what assets do you have that will get that player in Boston?

This is of course assuming NY deals him, which is doubtful. And within the division, which is even more doubtful.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If the TWolves get an offer for Love that they like they'll take it. I dont read anything into this, its just something the team has to say.

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Mike

I'm not selling out for a quick fix. With Melo you basically have a 3-4 year window to win a title, but you'll have to do it without cap space. Not to mention that you better hope that either he or Rondo adapts well, and quickly, to having the ball in their hands a lot less often than they're used to. What happens when you do acquire that 3rd piece to go along with those two? What kind of player does he need to be that will mesh with those 2 ball dominant players? And what assets do you have that will get that player in Boston?

This is of course assuming NY deals him, which is doubtful. And within the division, which is even more doubtful.

If Rondo can play with PP he can probably play with Melo. It's not like he hasn't been on the court with a ball dominant player for most of his career.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Mike

If Rondo can play with PP he can probably play with Melo. It's not like he hasn't been on the court with a ball dominant player for most of his career.

Pierce adjusted to Rondo as Rondo progressed as a player, Rondo didn't adjust to Pierce. Just think about how the amount Pierce iso's or the Pierce pick and rolls, with Pierce as the ball handler, changed from 2008 to 2010. However, Pierce adjusted this at a later stage in his career. Having Melo adjust to Rondo, while in his prime, will be a tall order indeed.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

Offline Rondohara

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Not like then can just go and say "we'll blow it up this summer".
That's a smoke screen only. Deal is done.
Goal for next season: Top 2 seed.
Say goodbye to: Turner, Zeller, Sully.

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Also why would Melo want the Celtics? We have a PG coming off an ACL injury, an undersized SG and PF with injury problems and no C.

But I really think Melo is at the tipping point that with a team with a solid direction, he could really flourish. His career path could be eerily similar to that of Paul Pierce IMO, except on larger platform.

He seems to want to play with Rondo, so that's something.  That said, I don't see a future with Melo on the Celtics.  New York isn't going to help facilitate a trade to him here without the cost being so high as to not be worth it.

Yeah, not with Phil Jackson calling the shots there.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 10:00:52 PM »

Online freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Great minds think alike.  TP for you sir.

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The forum's obsession to give up the C's assets for Love when a healthy 21 year old Jared Sullinger is on the roster in the 2nd year of his rookie deal is mind boggling.

Minnesota isn't trading Love unless they're outside of the playoffs at the time of the 2015 trade deadline and Love has made it clear that he isn't going to re-sign. Whoever trades for Love better have mounds of assets to offer the Timberwolves and enough left over to make the playoffs to make Love happy enough to re-sign as a FA.

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

I'm not selling out for a quick fix.

It's not a quick fix.  It's recognizing that Rondo can't wait around for 4 or 5 years for draft picks who can't legally drink to develop.

I'm not pitching Melo as The Answer.  But of all the realistic options, he's one of the better ones.  Like...

Use the trade exemption for Asik.
Sign-n-trade for Gasol.
Sign-n-trade for Melo.
Resign Bradley, Hump and Bayless.
Get some ring-chasers to fill out the bench.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I for one am not really sold on Love and I don't want Melo. 

If those are the only cap-busting options, then if I am DA I wait out the next season and see how this years draft picks develop with Sully, KO, & AB before I sell the ranch on one player.